Can't decide...

What's Hot
NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
OK, in the next few weeks, I'll be looking to get a multi-fx unit. The budget will be around the £160 mark. I've watched lots of video reviews online, and think I've narrowed it down to 2. The first one is the Zoom G3xn, and the other is the Digitech RP360XP. 

Is there anyone with real world experience of these? What do you think? Am I missing an absolute gem by discounting other models? 

Cheers
Nick. 
**Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4133
    Depends what you want to get out of it really? The ME-50 is a great unit, though missing some more modern features now.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    Er, what guitar(s) and amplification are you using?  :-?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    edited May 2017

OK, some questions:- 

1. Is this for
    (a) home playing only,
    (b) home or studio recording, or
    (c)  is this going to be a main gigging tool? 

2. By 'MFX' are you looking

(a) purely for effects only, or
    (b) for amp/cab modelling too?
    (c) for any essential features e.g do you need a looper built in, or 'XLR' outs?

3. How are you going to be using it:
    (a) Through a guitar amp
    (b) Through the PA (or a FRFR - full range flat response amp)
    (c) Headphones and/or through computer only?
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803

Ok, some answers ;)

Ill be using it with a Gibson Les Paul and a LTD Viper, through a Boss Katana amp.

1. Is this for
    (a) home playing only,

For home use mainly, with a small recording set up. Would also be used at jam sessions.

(c) for any essential features e.g do you need a looper built in, or 'XLR' outs?

Looking to experiment a bit with the effects in my home recordings, so effects and amp/cab modelling pretty much essential. Don't need XLR outs. Looper not exactly essential as I have a separate looper pedal already. Nice to have all in the one unit though I suppose.

(a) Through a guitar amp

I should think it would exclusively be used through the amp, but not ruling out using it direct into PC/Software in the future.

Cheers! 

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    What's wrong with the effects in the Katana? I gather they aren't brilliant for access for live use but as this is for home/recording what is a £160 multi fx giving that the Boss isn't? 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Nothing wrong with the effects themselves, but I have the Katana 50, so quick to access patches are limited (channel 1 and 2). As I said previously, this will MAINLY be used at home, but I do go to a full band jam session twice per week, so it would be useful in that situation.
    edited May 2017
    Nikko said:

Ok, some answers

Ill be using it with a Gibson Les Paul and a LTD Viper, through a Boss Katana amp.

1. Is this for
    (a) home playing only,

For home use mainly, with a small recording set up. Would also be used at jam sessions.

Looking to experiment a bit with the effects in my home recordings, so effects and amp/cab modelling pretty much essential. Don't need XLR outs. Looper not exactly essential as I have a separate looper pedal already. Nice to have all in the one unit though I suppose.

(a) Through a guitar amp

I should think it would exclusively be used through the amp, but not ruling out using it direct into PC/Software in the future.

Cheers! 

Yup, based on your answers I think the Zoom G3xn will suit you quite well.  

If your focus was for gigging I'd have recommended you try & pick up a used Vox Tonelab LE (I use both a TLLE and TLSE for gigging) simply because at that price point I've found nothing that sounds better or is easier to use live.  (FYI I had a Zoom G5 - great fun to play with but tones not a patch on my TLLE/TLSE).  

Of course the TLLE is great for recorded tones too,   The first 6 tracks here (Undercover Duo) were all done with my Tonelab LE straight through the desk, with my PRS Cu24.  But the Zoom is much smaller, lighter, & you'll get way more effects & amp models plus modern edit software etc.

https://soundcloud.com/richard-birch-1
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    Voxman said:
    Nikko said:

Ok, some answers

1. Is this for
    (a) home playing only,

(a) Through a guitar amp

Cheers! 

If your focus was for gigging I'd have recommended you try & pick up a used Vox Tonelab LE (I use both a TLLE and TLSE for gigging) simply because at that price point I've found nothing that sounds better or is easier to use live.  (FYI I had a Zoom G5 - great fun to play with but tones not a patch on my TLLE/TLSE).  

Of course the TLLE is great for recorded tones too,   The first 6 tracks here (Undercover Duo) were all done with my Tonelab LE straight through the desk, with my PRS Cu24.  But the Zoom is much smaller, lighter, & you'll get way more effects & amp models plus modern edit software etc.

Many thanks @Voxman , what puts this above the Digitech in your opinion?

Cheers.

• professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Nikko said:
    Voxman said:
    Nikko said:

Ok, some answers

1. Is this for
    (a) home playing only,

(a) Through a guitar amp

Cheers! 

Cheers.

Oooh I've got one of those. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    The Digitech or the Zoom?
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    If you intend to record into a computer or tablet device, the easiest option is to host amp-modelling plug-in software within your chosen recording software environment.

This has several advantages:
    1) It takes up no physical space.
    2) It will be readily upgradable for the foreseeable future.
    3) Most recording software actually records the raw audio guitar signal then, applies the "amp" treatment afterwards. If you turn in a superb performance but wish you had employed a different amp model and/or effects combination, you can change them non-destructively.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Nikko said:
    Voxman said:
    Nikko said:

Ok, some answers

1. Is this for
    (a) home playing only,

(a) Through a guitar amp

Cheers! 

Cheers.

I've had a Zoom G5 so I know Zoom make good units, & I've tried the G5n (to be honest I couldn't really hear any noticeable difference in the amp modelling quality to the G5).  I have no experience with the RP360XP, but I didn't really take to the modelling which seemed over-processed and digital in the RP500/1000.  From a brief look over the specs, I think the Zoom looks like it might be clearer & easier to use live with more pedal options. But its all down to personal taste so perhaps the best thing to do is try them both out and see which you prefer.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9714
    The Boss GT100 sounds fairly decent and has the ability to do dual stereo signal chains (sort of) but it is quite restricting I find, in that you can only have one drive at a time, one comp at a time, etc etc which is quite annoying when others seem to manage quite easily to allow you to place fx where you want them and as many as you want.

It's not been mentioned in the discussion above but thought it might be worth considering if it's going with a Boss amp in particular, if the annoying restrictions they have implemented are not too much of an issue 
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2343
    i have the zoom g3. i use for gigging, funnily enough just bought a katana and gigged it on saturday and the zoom g3 was great through it. its also a great practise tool for me,i use the looper and headphones so dont disturb the family. I havnt had any experience with the other units so cant compare, i dare say they are just as good.
    Thanks for the replies fellas. I watched a shit load more videos on both of them, and decided to go for the Zoom G3xn. In fact, Mr DPD driver will be delivering it to my house between 3 and 4pm today ;)
    Just an update to anyone that might care; I used this tonight for a full band jam, and it was effing fantastic. Think I made the right decision. 

Cheers.