Turning an active monitor into a passive extension

What's Hot
TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
edited May 2017 in Amps
The stupid, stupid bass player in my band decided to rig up our PA as I was late. Somehow he conencted a 4 ohm extension box to my active monitor, which requires 8hm minimum. My monitor has blown and will cost too much to repair.

Ho easy would it be to turn the speaker and enclosure into a passive box?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    I'd turn your bass player into an ex-bass player first.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    dindude said:
    I'm really pissed off.

3 weeks ago I bought this http://shop.musix.ch/en/KME-FM-1122AE.html

2nd hand for 120 chf.. total bargain. Within 3 weeks he has blown it up. I had planned to use it for acoustic shows as well as the band. He offered to repair but cost is 400chf. OUCH

He's offered to by my a Behringer Euro Olive thing, for about 290chf... http://shop.musix.ch/en/Behringer-Eurolive-F1320D-Eurolive-F1320D.html not sure to take him up on it as I understand they are rubbish. Also wondering what to do with the remains. :(
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    dindude said:
    Also wondering what to do with the remains. :(
    I wouldn't do it under your own patio, too obvious to the police. Your drummer will probably take a dead body, unquestioning things that they are.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
    You can turn it into a passive monitor easy enough but you may find it's not that expensive to repair at component level ... Or you can install another amp module for around £140.00 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71957
    There's a chance it has an output fuse, in which case it will be as simple as replacing that - or possibly the two supply rail fuses - if it blew very quickly there's an even better chance. If not and it was left on for some time before it blew, it probably needs two new power transistors - it's pretty rare for something more serious to fail with a too-low load. Assuming that it can be repaired at component level anyway, as Danny said… some modern gear is quite tricky, especially with Class D output sections.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

Just had a quick google it's power amp is AB which is a hell of a lot easier to fix than the class D amps fitted to most active monitors these days

Spec also says it's protected against excess loading too so I suspect ICBM is right and it's done an internal fuse or 2
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    hmm, interesting. I checked fuses and one had blown. The bass player took it to a tech he knows and was quoted 400chf. Any kind of work here is insanely expensive. I don't think there is any chance of me getting it to the UK, might investigate a German repair option..

Damn I wish i could fix this stuff myself.

@Danny1969 where would I get another power module and are they easy to install?
    Generally the whole amp is built onto a piece of metal including the IEC socket and the volume \ tone controls leaving only the speaker output wire to be connected .... installation means using the existing cutout in the box or creating a larger or smaller one .

Here's an example here ..... note don't buy this one as it's faulty

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Active-speaker-power-amplifier-module-PA-Disco-FREE-UK-Post-1-/122445270056

It's a pity your not closer as my fee for fixing something like this is generally about £60
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71957
    hmm, interesting. I checked fuses and one had blown. The bass player took it to a tech he knows and was quoted 400chf. Any kind of work here is insanely expensive. I don't think there is any chance of me getting it to the UK, might investigate a German repair option..

You can - or at least you can try. Replace the fuse or fuses that have blown and power it up. The worst that happens is that the fuses blow again, in which case you know it needs a more serious repair. The best that happens is that it works fine…

400chf (over £300) is completely bonkers to repair something like that. It would only be anywhere near that if it was a Class D power section and there was no feasible way to repair it other than replacing the whole power module.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

Danny1969 said:
    Generally the whole amp is built onto a piece of metal including the IEC socket and the volume \ tone controls leaving only the speaker output wire to be connected .... installation means using the existing cutout in the box or creating a larger or smaller one .

Here's an example here ..... note don't buy this one as it's faulty

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Active-speaker-power-amplifier-module-PA-Disco-FREE-UK-Post-1-/122445270056

It's a pity your not closer as my fee for fixing something like this is generally about £60
    Damn. I wish I was closer too. For £60 it would be a no brainier to fix :( Wonder how much it would cost to post...
    I will ask the bass player to ask the tech what the problem is. The tech did diagnose the fault after all...
    ICBM said:

You can - or at least you can try. Replace the fuse or fuses that have blown and power it up. The worst that happens is that the fuses blow again, in which case you know it needs a more serious repair. The best that happens is that it works fine…

400chf (over £300) is completely bonkers to repair something like that. It would only be anywhere near that if it was a Class D power section and there was no feasible way to repair it other than replacing the whole power module.
    Ok, will get that done now and report back... I'm assuming the tech has investigated that though.
    Labour cost here is massive. Partial re-fret of a bog standard maple neck... 700 chf (£600) etc.