Chorus bollocks

What's Hot
EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
I basically want a jangly cheesy 80s chorus sound for cheesy 80s tunes. But having had, I think, three chorus pedals and a couple of multi fx chorus patches when I get to gig level I just seem to end up with a muddy swirl :anguished: 

So, am I playing wrong,do I need compression, is there a magic way to dial chorus in, do I need delay (I only use quite dark analog delay so that wouldn't help much I guess)or eq (cut the bass on the amp?) ? I find this surprisingly difficult :cry: 
Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Sounds like you are using too much of it, if it's a muddy swirl. My fave is the moog, the mix control means you can keep enough dry signal to get the notes heard, but some nice movement from the chorus itself.

Also, try in the fx loop, rather than before, if you use one. I find it's a bit brighter and cleaner on my amp then.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2325
    Less is definitely more with chorus.  I personally hate it, but do use it when Its needed but a pedal with mix control is essential

That way you can dial out the fecking horrible sound that is chorus..or dial in just enough to create the horrible hotpotch of syrup soup you are trying to concoct.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • AdjiAdji Frets: 142
    tFB Trader
    I always liked having high depth but the speed VERY slow, the sweep / swoosh becomes inauduible and you just get that 'dimension sound.
    I personally like quite a lofi, 'cheap' chorus sound, my favourite pedal is the action sch1. 
    You might find what you want isn't chorus at all but pitch define, stereo define up or down a few cents has a very similar sound but is more static.

• professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Adji said:
    I always liked having high depth but the speed VERY slow, the sweep / swoosh becomes inauduible and you just get that 'dimension sound.
    I personally like quite a lofi, 'cheap' chorus sound, my favourite pedal is the action sch1. 
    You might find what you want isn't chorus at all but pitch define, stereo define up or down a few cents has a very similar sound but is more static.
    Its that classic EVH eventide sound. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Def use less I'd say. In fact if in mono I only really like it on delay repeats. In stereo it can work well as wet/dry, least effective is mono and mixed too high IMO.
  • A compressor in front will help for the 80's cheesy sound. It evens out all the dynamics to make the sound more processed.

Be careful with the chorus speed though, lower speed and higher depth is a good starting point.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    All chorus is a cheesy, muddy, soupy swirl although the Arion SCH isn't as bad as all the others.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3306
    edited May 2017
    The CE-2 is a thing of beauty for that but I'm getting great results from the Zoom MS-70 CDR. The Small Clone and MXR in it are great but some of the multi-fx presets with reverb and delay are very good and can get the Eric Johnson, Def Leppard and Andy Summer's type sounds, "Don't Dream It's Over" opening chord sequence.

There's even a Dimension D/Pitch Modulator thingy in it that gives you a different type of chorus effect without the whirly, chewiness and that covers "the less is more" thing and more "Every Breath You Take". I always thought the TC Stereo SCF was good for this as well.

FWIW, I do use a compressor with mine.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    I use the Microchorus, anything above half way up is too high. Between 1/4 and 1/3 is about right. And always in front of any drive/EQ.

Incidentally, I use similar settings on Phase 90's.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6481
    If you can't hear the chorused signal in the mix, I'd call that a positive result

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13939
    As @GavRichList says Boss CE-2. A couple f my fave chorus tones, both live:

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Cheers all. 
    I don't use the loop and probably won't bother for one pedal (although I get it would help).I suspect I may just be using a lot of depth (currently got a Malekko based on the CE2 on the board) to get the effect sounding lush at lower volumes and that goes a bit wonk at gig levels. Maybe a pedal with a mix knob would help too.
    I was starting to eye up the tc mini Corona but I've not had much luck with tc products so I might start eyeing up that Zoom instead. I watched a Digitech Luxe demo as well which would fit what @Adji said although I didn't think it sounded great on everything. 
    Compression, that's another rabbit hole... :astonished: 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3306
    The Zoom has models based on the CE-2 and TC Corona but here's a demo of just the choruses and then of the presets

• VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    The Mr Black Doublechorus is great, I use that when I want something a bit more full-on, and the CB Warped Vinyl for something more subtle and organic.
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7162
    Genuinely no intention of self promotion, but this track (I think) nails the sound you're after; the lead line is Boss CE-2. Was aiming at The Cure in terms of chorus use - pretty much the benchmark in 80s chorus for me. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
    Mxr234 analogue chorus......done
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294

Seemed a nice demonstration of what you can get out a CE2. In theory my Malekko should be doing much the same thing, I think it does but yet somehow... :unamused: 

Bit of youtubing and googling suggests compression quite a lot, although a splash of reverb too. Perhaps I'll just sell the car and buy a Helix...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22111
    I basically want a jangly cheesy 80s chorus sound for cheesy 80s tunes. But having had, I think, three chorus pedals and a couple of multi fx chorus patches when I get to gig level I just seem to end up with a muddy swirl :anguished: 

So, am I playing wrong,do I need compression, is there a magic way to dial chorus in, do I need delay (I only use quite dark analog delay so that wouldn't help much I guess)or eq (cut the bass on the amp?) ? I find this surprisingly difficult :cry: 
    Boss CE-2B as I always say :D Lets the low end through dry, adds a bit to the top end. 

• Ce2 is wonderful, as is the dod FX 65 (my personal favourite) but it might be worth looking at a ce3. It's still a great analogue chorus, but it has a bit of a bass cut to it. This should give *that* 80s sound. 

The DOD and the Ce2 are thicker sounding. I reckon the brighter ce3 might suit.