Which one !!!! Cornford Roadhouse 30 (1x12) combo Vs Blackstar Artisan 30 (2x12) combo

What's Hot
SnazzyGeezerSnazzyGeezer Frets: 38
Hi Chaps, just been offered a great deal by a friend of a friend,and I have no expirence with either.
ive tried out a series one 50 watt and thought it was pretty ok
i currently own a Laney Lionheart 20 (Head + Cab) an early Peavey 5150,that's going to be converted in to a head and cab,a Mesa boogie DC5 head
He's after £300 for the Cornford,and £625 for the Blackstar
I know both of these are really good deals,but I wanted to hear you're guys thoughts on the amps.

Thanks guys

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7143
    That's not an earth-shattering deal for the Blackstar. They're beautiful amps and I have only good things to say about them, but they hold their value like a Lost Prophets Greatest Hits CD - sold mine for £450. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That price is high for the Blackstar, good price on the Cornford though.

Ive had both but used them in very different ways. The Cornford works best set up as a crunchy amp, backing off on the guitar volume to clean it up, wind up the volume and kick in the boost for solos. Works well with pedals and has an excellent effects loop.

The Blackstar on the other hand I had to run clean and hit the front end with various drive pedals, it worked great this way. It's a beautiful sounding amp but weighs an absolute ton, so bear that in mind if you will be moving it around a lot.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    I,ve used a Roadhouse and its great for crunchy tone but limited if you need loud cleans.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1813
    This is my own personal opinion so take it with a pinch of salt but I wouldn't buy a cornford now as there is no customer service that I am aware of . They are great amps though. I had a hurricane , hellcat and a roadhouse and loved them all. Sorry I don't have any experience with blackstar :(

Hope it helps , probably not 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    Neither. One is no bargain and the other just isn't a great amp. (In my opinion.)

The Laney is better for classic-rock crunch, the Peavey is better for hard rock/metal and the Mesa is more flexible and probably has the best high-volume cleans.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Tuscan777Tuscan777 Frets: 125
    I've got a Cornford Roadhouse 50, up for sale at £400 (too many amps and now gone full Fender), so - IMO - the Roadhouse you've been offered is quite a good deal. Obviously depends what sound you're after but I always found my Roadhouse to do very good cleans with a bit of hair. It may be the extra wattage and speaker that helps there over the 30, however.

I've not needed any tech support to date, but I have links to Martin Kidd and also a former Cornford tech. Mind you, this is down to being local to where the Cornford base was.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Out of the Cornford and BS, I'd take the BS (but not at that price...).
    I have an early el34 Roadhouse 30 head at home and I think it sounds pretty dated now. It's also possibly the worst amp to use pedals with I've ever encountered.
    It might be worth asking if the Roadhouse you've been offered has el34's or 6l6's as the earlier el34 combos suffered a few problems, hence the switch to 6l6's. £300 seems about right for it and I certainly wouldn't pay more.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1589

As others have said, lot for the Series One 50. Also beware of any VERY early S1's, the pots were not the sharpest idea Northampton techs ever had! OK if you get one cheap enough but ICBM would not be a happy bunny fixing one.

Mind you, I think the pots had been sorted by the time of the 50 head? I also don't recall them being particularly heavy?

Dave.

Err? Am I confused/confusing? Someone DID mention 'Series One' and '50 watts'? Then I see '30 W Artisan and yes they are great and yes they are furkin heavy!

BTW, if the Art 30 has a Sovtek GZ34 in it buy a TAD replacement and change it when the fuse blows. (ICBM, TADs are the toughest GZ34s I know of, YMMV?)

Dave.

• TheGhostTheGhost Frets: 1
    If the cornford is 6l6's then great amp. Really clean with the gain turned down, takes pedals very well and is very well built. 

Great for that price and any decent amp guy will be able to service it easily.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    edited May 2017
    ...very very different beasts.

The Cornford has a more modern gain when dialed but has a darker tone clean, more akin to some old El34 Marshalls. It also has a bit of EL34 Vox vocing in it - but not the spiky-trebbly bit. As you have both Gain and Master vol and a Boost circuit controls, you can get a variation on the voicings and good pedals add another dimension

The Atrisan is much more open and neutral and 'in your face' and Freakin Loud  - and heavy...

You want the EL34 Roadie if you can - is sweeter. They only switched to 6L6 because the current QC on the supply of EL34 Cornford were getting later into production meant the TUBES were inconsistent - nothing to do with the amp circuitry.

This setup (Outing in parallel to an additional v30 cab) gives a convincing loud Tweed Twin with a Telecaster!

http://i68.tinypic.com/indb92.jpg

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I think the amp has a rich 'airy' sound,dynamic,punchy,and stupidly loud for a 30 watt amp.
    works great as a pedal platform too.
    The downside is,i have to eat six shredded wheat every morning,to build up my strength to put it in the car.
    thanks again guys for your input  :)

I bought the Artisan 2x12 combo in the end for £580,and its in fabulous condition,
    not mint,but not far off.
    I think the amp has a rich 'airy' sound,dynamic,punchy,and stupidly loud for a 30 watt amp.
    works great as a pedal platform too.
    The downside is,i have to eat six shredded wheat every morning,to build up my strength to put it in the car.
    thanks again guys for your input  :)

Cool, check that rectifier! Don't forget the channel blend facility. You can also use the 4 input jacks as a 'sort of' FX loop.

Dave.

• Good choice, one of my all time favourite amps! Even if it's going to inevitably cripple me one day.