NGD + NPuD...

MonkeyboneMonkeybone Frets: 261
edited February 2014 in Acoustics

I'm thinking of getting back in to solo acoustic gigging, for weekends when the band can't gig when people are away for example, and I decided that my Crafter SA sounded good and was easy to play, but it didn't sound properly acoustic enough, so...

... ordered yesterday, literally just arrived...

It's small, yet sounds huuuuuge... it's a Taylor GS Mini! Bought from Mansons in Exeter.

*Picture will be inserted here when I get around to taking one*

I'll be keeping the Bubinga Crafter SA to gig in DADGAD/open G, and trying to sort out the action on my 12-string, but the GS Mini will undergo a minor alteration before I get it gigging - a pickup, but not the ES-Go...

My band - Crimson on Silver  For sale - Blackstar HT-5S

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Glad you finally found one, definitely the best sounding of all the travel size guitars out there, only sold mine because I struggled with the small neck, the es-go was a good idea in principle but there are better options depending on your budget, i.e. passive lr baggs m1, also if yours still has oe strings on & you find tension is a little hard work, get hold of some newtone heritage classic 12 gauge they retain the tone but string up at about 30lbs lighter over the set making it even easier to play without out dropping a string gauge & losing any sound quality, all the best, mike.
  • MonkeyboneMonkeybone Frets: 261
    edited February 2014

Cheers Mike, it was a shame I missed out on yours, the maple back and sides were seriously pretty. Unfortunately a typical case of bad timing.

Pickup wise, I will be heading down the LR Baggs avenue, but I'm leaning towards the Anthem SL, heard a few videos on Youtube and it sounds like it retains the natural acoustic sound. Hopefully I'll be buying one and getting it fitted tomorrow.

Thanks for the suggestion on strings, I'll keep an eye out for them at string changing time, think the ones on there now are brand spankers, so it would be a waste if I took them off straight away.

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

• MonkeyboneMonkeybone Frets: 261
    edited February 2014

LR Baggs Anthem SL bought and paid for, free fitting too (thanks to Jaywalk Guitars in Street). I would have had a go myself, but I wouldn't trust myself with a drill and a guitar...

Just got to wait til they phone me to tell me it's ready now.

• Bugger, just had a call to say that the guy fitting the pickup has run in to a snag. Because of the end pin recess of the GS Mini, the end pin/jack socket won't fit properly and will need a chunk of wood to fill in the gap, which means it won't be ready today. Curses.

• Got the Taylor back from Jaywalk yesterday, the guy that installs the pickups for them has done a lovely job, matched the side laminate really well to fill in the end pin recess.

Only just had a chance to plug it in to the Marshall AS100D, and even on a quick play it sounds fecking lovely. Actually can't wait to get out gigging with it now.

• Neato. Taylors make excellent gigging guitars. I have a 214 + Baggs M1A and it's a fantastic combination.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires