Three exciting builds coming up!

Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
edited May 2017 in Making & Modding
Well - I'm certainly excited  .

As you are probably aware, I've had a bit of a run on bass builds recently.  I'm not complaining at all as they are all by recommendation based on previous builds but I've been hankering after a nice 6-string electric project.  And like buses, I've got two in the plan 

So where's the third exciting build?

It's the one I'm well on with at the moment.  And yes, it's a bass.  And it's a corker!

It's an ultra-modern bass with a crazy spec.  Just a sneak preview here, but it's going to look a bit like this:

and a cross-section like this:

and: full length fretboard (nut to tailstock); hidden piezo and magnetic pickups; fretboard flush sanded into 20" radius body; natural white wood; hidden headless tuner system.

Bear in mind that the rock maple fretboard and headplate will hide the neck laminations from the front, here's the progress so far:

Straight after this one, comes a six string electric for our very own @impmann

I'm really excited with this one.  Inspired by the Alembic 6-string models in vibe, it's nevertheless got a subtle offset:

It will have a killer vibrato and will have what @impmann describes as the 'sucked lozenge' look of my camphor single cut bass where the top (wood undecided), merges into the back timber:

It will be lightweight (basically semi-acoustic but without the 'f'hole) and 5-piece multi-wood splice neck.

Running in parallel to @impmann 's build, I will be building a 6-string electric version of my recent piccolo bass:

The piccolo is actually identical dimensions (in terms of the critical stuff) to a 6 string  electric and this one ended up under 6lb and is a joy to play.  I'll be using the same laminated neck blank to cut both necks so, if you can imagine this as a 5-piece, rather than three - maybe maple / mahogany / purpleheart / mahogany / maple - but looking a bit like this in terms of thru-neck contrasting with the back wood of the body and ditto for @impmann 's build:

I'm really, really excited  Did I mention that already????

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments