H and K new valves: changing gains?

JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
So im about to pull the trigger on some new valves for my Grandmiester 36. Ive had it a long time now and Ive always been lucky thay tubes have never failed. However, i may be looking to try some different valves to change the sound a little.

Clean channel is fine
Crunch i never use as its not a crunch, more like flubby tone rather than a crunch
Lead is a little "metallic" sounding. Its not terrible but Id like to see if i could i get rid of it.
Ultra i never use.

So would a different el34 ina certain position change the flub on the crunch channel? Thoughts?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72297
    It's the 12AX7/ECC83s you need to experiment with, not the EL84s (they're not EL34s). Changing the EL84s may make a small difference, but probably not much, unless the existing ones are truly knackered.

Changing the 12AX7s might make a difference, but it's still unlikely that you will be able to change the relative voicing of the channels much, if at all - this is a hybrid amp and all the tone control is done in the solid-state section.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    Ah my bad, i always type like Im pissed wheb im typing from my phone!

Ok i may just got for a standard replacement set rather than the stock tubes and maybe fiddle later on.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    If your current valves are functioning correctly, leave them where they are.

If tonal change is what you seek, investigate replacement loudspeakers.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Interesting... would a speaker clear up a flub? Using a v30 2 x 12...
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1630

Jusafort but. 'Flubby' bass might JUST be knackered OP valves?

Dave.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72297
    Jetfire said:
    Interesting... would a speaker clear up a flub? Using a v30 2 x 12…
    That should be quite a tight-sounding set-up unless it's a really oversized cab.

ecc83 said:

Jusafort but. 'Flubby' bass might JUST be knackered OP valves?

Maybe, but if so I would expect it on all the channels rather than just one.

A similar problem with tweaking anything by changing the preamp valves is that all the valves operate on all the channels all the time, so if there are radical differences between the channels it's unlikely to be anything to do with the valves.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Jetfire said:
    would a speaker clear up a flub? Using a v30 2 x 12...
    Depends upon the precise design and material quality of the loudspeaker enclosure. 

The glaringly obvious suggestion is to try the head "as is" through some other loudspeakers. Perhaps, you can find a more sympathetic match for the Meister?

EL84s are wonderful for some applications and not to my liking for others. If you are accustomed to small 6V6-powered Fender guitar amplifiers, the Blues Junior just does not sound or feel right. Same goes for some of the Bassbreaker series. Fine amps but not properly "Fender".

Ultimately, the amplifier is only one element in your signal chain. Its behaviour depends to some extent on your other gear and your personal playing dynamics. 
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    I spent ages swapping valves in the GM36 I had chasing a tone that the amp wouldn't really do. Just before I sold it I put the originals back in and thought it sounded better than it did with the replacements.
    edited May 2017
    Overall i do like the tone it does, esp when you crank it up and get to use it at proper gig levels. However, i think the clean and lead channels are where the bulk of my fave sounds are. I do wonder about a speaker change/combination, esp a v30 and a gt12-75 or similar.
    It is difficult to offer any worthwhile suggestions without some clue about the guitars and musical styles you play. 
    Mainly rock and pop covers at the moment. Main guitars are a fender blacktop and an ibanez rs200.
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1814
    edited May 2017
    got the Bogner's here if you want to try a different cab - the ported 112 or the OS212..both V30'd