ISO Cabs

What's Hot
monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17598
in Amps tFB Trader
I'm looking for an ISO cab, but I want a full range speaker in it rather than a guitar one (It's for testing microphones rather than recording guitar)

Anyone know a maker that lets you pick the driver?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DodgeDodge Frets: 1435
    No, but is the Jet City one is cheap enough to buy and change the speaker?
  • photekphotek Frets: 1463
    Worth seeing if you can find the Jet City ISO 2 so you have 2 mic's at once. I quite fancy one for home recording to be honest.
  • KoaKoa Frets: 120
    Got all excited there thinking there was a new international standard for speaker cabs , possibly :) :) ISO4x12:100w......just me then...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    won't you need a tweeter for FR?
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26564
    edited May 2017
    Cabicular said:
    This is the immediate problem. I don't know of any PA driver which will get close to where average human hearing tops out, much less the 20kHz upper limit of tweeters. Even if you decide to put a tweeter in there, you're going to have some serious problems with sound distribution between the main driver and the tweeter vs mic positioning.

Perhaps a bit more info on what you mean by "testing mics" might be helpful...?
    <space for hire>
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17598
    tFB Trader
    Cabicular said:
    This is the immediate problem. I don't know of any PA driver which will get close to where average human hearing tops out, much less the 20kHz upper limit of tweeters. Even if you decide to put a tweeter in there, you're going to have some serious problems with sound distribution between the main driver and the tweeter vs mic positioning.

Ideally I wouldn't want a 12" speaker (which is all the more reason not to replace the driver in an existing ISO cab), but I could get something like a Celestion FTX1225 which goes up to 20k 

It's actually not that big a deal if I don't have up to 20k as there is not a huge amount of energy up there and it's not really important for what I'm doing.

The application is "work stuff" so I can't go into too much detail, but essentially testing the performance of relatively low end consumer microphones at various sound pressure levels.
  • SickSquidSickSquid Frets: 152
    Demeter's ISO cab comes unloaded. I sold one on here a couple of years ago.
    If you could persuade Rivera to supply their Silent Sister unloaded it may be a great option.
    I say that as they need some way for the sound to be dispersed from inside such a small enclosure, which that one does. Either that, or make your own around a traditional cabinet using sound deadening materials. I ended up doing that and it sounds better than anything else I've used.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11889
    I'm looking for an ISO cab, but I want a full range speaker in it rather than a guitar one (It's for testing microphones rather than recording guitar)

Anyone know a maker that lets you pick the driver?
    I have one for sale, it was custom made
    you can use a monitor cab inside it
    SickSquid said:
    Demeter's ISO cab comes unloaded. I sold one on here a couple of years ago.
    If you could persuade Rivera to supply their Silent Sister unloaded it may be a great option.
    I say that as they need some way for the sound to be dispersed from inside such a small enclosure, which that one does. Either that, or make your own around a traditional cabinet using sound deadening materials. I ended up doing that and it sounds better than anything else I've used.

I'm pretty sure I bought that and have it in storage somewhere
    If you are interested PM me and I could look it out for much cheapness (It's probably costing me more to store than it is worth)
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3126
    Cabicular said:

Ideally I wouldn't want a 12" speaker (which is all the more reason not to replace the driver in an existing ISO cab), but I could get something like a Celestion FTX1225 which goes up to 20k 

It's actually not that big a deal if I don't have up to 20k as there is not a huge amount of energy up there and it's not really important for what I'm doing.

The application is "work stuff" so I can't go into too much detail, but essentially testing the performance of relatively low end consumer microphones at various sound pressure levels.
    Something like the dual concentric in an AER would be best in my opinion for what your doing it's an 8" Beyma  and fairly linear in response. The carpentry is up to you 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    If you're testing mics, you don't want to use an ISO cab. It will influence your results too much.
    tFB Trader
    Drew_TNBD said:
    If you're testing mics, you don't want to use an ISO cab. It will influence your results too much.
    Why do you say that?
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Why do you say that?
    Iso cabs add their own sound 
    You need to engineer it out when you use the tracks
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Why do you say that?
    Small enclosed spaces will cause resonances and comb filtering that the microphone will pickup, meaning huge boosts in certain frequency areas and huge cuts in others. You wont get an accurate measurement of the microphone for this reason.

Even if they're treated this is true, because the treatment used in those boxes is usually low density foam which doesn't work well for bass frequencies.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Why do you say that?
    Small enclosed spaces will cause resonances and comb filtering that the microphone will pickup, meaning huge boosts in certain frequency areas and huge cuts in others. You wont get an accurate measurement of the microphone for this reason.

Even if they're treated this is true, because the treatment used in those boxes is usually low density foam which doesn't work well for bass frequencies.

Exactly this.

Treating bass frequencies purely with absorption takes a lot of space, and isn't possible in a typical ISO box. Put simply they will sound boxy and not be representative of flat. 

A better solution (though I have no idea if financially viable in this scenario) may be to look for your closest academic facility with an anechoic chamber.
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6127
    tFB Trader
    I have a JETCITY one for sale £150 Mint condition as new. It is being sold due to a lack of space. the gear room upstairs is turning into a nursery!
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    tFB Trader
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Why do you say that?

That's no use then :(
    tFB Trader
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Why do you say that?

Exactly this.

Treating bass frequencies purely with absorption takes a lot of space, and isn't possible in a typical ISO box. Put simply they will sound boxy and not be representative of flat. 

A better solution (though I have no idea if financially viable in this scenario) may be to look for your closest academic facility with an anechoic chamber.

Using a studio room at the moment but it costs money and requires arranging.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11889
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Why do you say that?

Exactly this.

you could use an empty field - the ultimate anechoic chamber
    you can average out to cancel out any background noises
    tFB Trader
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Why do you say that?

Exactly this.

you could use an empty field - the ultimate anechoic chamber
    you can average out to cancel out any background noises

It's quite a long test so it gets done overnight.
    I'm not sure my kit would still be there!