Where to try the new modellers?

What's Hot
bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1655
So I'm wanting to try the new range of modellers, AX8, AxeFx2, Helix, Headrush etc but being north of Manchester appears to be a restriction... only the Helix appears to available to try out in store...

Anyone know any different??
My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6386
    As for the availability of AxeFX gear in stores, I don't think that's an issue of living in the frozen North.

The Headrush is claimed to be available for pre-order from GuitarGuitar - I'd say that it means nobody's got one to demo yet.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1655
    other than massive leaps of faith, it seems a Helix is the only option.. especially if I wanted to take advantage of interest free options..
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    other than massive leaps of faith, it seems a Helix is the only option.. especially if I wanted to take advantage of interest free options..
    Well your options are
    AXE 8 at nearly double the price
    Headrush version 0.1 beta
    Helix LT

:)
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24235
    Don't Fractal have a 30 day return limit?

You won't find them in the shops so that is pretty much the only option for them.

Kemper and Helix are in the shops. And I expect the Headrush will be in about 2019.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    edited May 2017
    You get 30 day returns via Fractal's European distributors, https://www.g66.eu/

Kemper or Helix can be bought online from many big UK stores and returned under their respective returns policies - you'll get 2 weeks minimum but some offer longer.  There's always Thomann in the EU too who I think give 30 days.  A lot of bigger shops stock Line 6, I think there are less options for Kemper but you can play them in some shops.

I'd personally recommend spending a few days with whatever you want to try, asking for help on this forum (there are users of Line 6, Kemper, and Fractal on here) or on official forums if you get stuck.  Just trying out in a store might not give you the best overall picture.  You can always return a unit if it doesn't work out.

Interest free can be done via credit card too http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/best-0-credit-cards

PayPal also does 0% credit but they only give a 4 month limit, which is poorer than most cards a typical person could get.  But you're not tied in to interest free options offered by certain retailers (credit score permitting on all fronts!)
    edited May 2017
    Cabicular said:
    Well your options are
    Helix LT

LT is cheapest but it does miss a couple of features that may matter to some.  I know a couple of posters are using SPDIF for recording, I know I do with my Fractal as it keeps everything constant.  Native would possibly negate that to an extent, but you get a significantly lower discount on the Helix Native plugin with the LT.  

Native is $399, with an LT you get it $299 but with full Helix you get it at $99.  $200 dollars is about £155 today, so while the difference between Helix LT and Full Helix is £430 right now, the total package (unit plus plugin) accounting for the discount difference is £275... if you're going to be using the setup for several years (both unit and plugin) that possibly isn't enough cheaper for some.  Worth being aware of anyway.

AX8 works out about £1350 based on today's exchange rate, full fat Helix is £1279.  If you're doing interest free over a year that's possibly not a big enough difference to make price the only reason to buy one over the other.  For the sake of discussion a Kemper is currently £1390 but you'd need to factor in buying a floorboard controller too.
    I might be wrong, but I believe the AX8 can't do 2 completely separate paths with an amp on each?

Not a problem if you don't need that, but Helix will do that.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Cabicular said:
    Well your options are
    Helix LT

LT is cheapest but it does miss a couple of features that may matter to some.  I know a couple of posters are using SPDIF for recording, I know I do with my Fractal as it keeps everything constant.  Native would possibly negate that to an extent, but you get a significantly lower discount on the Helix Native plugin with the LT.  

Native is $399, with an LT you get it $299 but with full Helix you get it at $99.  $200 dollars is about £155 today, so while the difference between Helix LT and Full Helix is £430 right now, the total package (unit plus plugin) accounting for the discount difference is £275... if you're going to be using the setup for several years (both unit and plugin) that possibly isn't enough cheaper for some.  Worth being aware of anyway.

AX8 works out about £1350 based on today's exchange rate, full fat Helix is £1279.  If you're doing interest free over a year that's possibly not a big enough difference to make price the only reason to buy one over the other.  For the sake of discussion a Kemper is currently £1390 but you'd need to factor in buying a floorboard controller too.
    Full fat Helix seems to be £1121 everywhere at the moment making that gap smaller still.
    edited May 2017
    dindude said:
    Cabicular said:
    Well your options are
    Helix LT

Full fat Helix seems to be £1121 everywhere at the moment making that gap smaller still.

I do get that price on the right hand side of Google now, but I'm sure I saw £1279 this morning.  Oh well, cheaper is better, at that price I'd be going full Helix as I'd be after the plugin as well
    edited May 2017
    I might be wrong, but I believe the AX8 can't do 2 completely separate paths with an amp on each?

Not a problem if you don't need that, but Helix will do that.

AX8 does one amp at a time.  I think you can do 2 amps in a patch via X/Y but I'm not sure if that causes any dropout.  Changing a patch will cause dropout (as it will on the Axe Fx 2).  Also I'm not sure re: parallel paths as I don't have one.

The Axe FX 2 can do 2 amps at once, both amps can XY within the patch, and it has 4 paths on the grid... being honest my patches are super simple with no parallel stuff and I stay in mono all the time.

I think the Helix actually does the most in a patch out of everything.  It also clearly has the best UI on the unit itself.
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    As an AX8 user, no, you can't run 2 amps at the same time but as said above,  you can have 2 amps in a preset and switch using x/Y within a preset.
    There are 4 paths on the grid which allows for some very complicated routing if you desire. Up to now. I've kept it pretty simple. 
    There is no question that the hardware UI on the Helix is class leading. However, the basic tweaking of presets on the fly on the AX8 is also really easy (coming from a die-hard pedal user) and the computer editor on the AX8 is really easy when setting up presets in the first place - which is a great combination. 

Soundwise,  I have nothing but praise for the AX8 despite having to buy without trying it ( I listened to a LOT of online demo's of Helix and AX8 and consistently preferred the AX8 tones) The basic tones combined with the deep editing possibilities and excellent updates mean I haven't had gear gas since getting it. 

Having said that,  if the Helix LT was out a month ago, the considerably lower cost may have swayed me...
    We should really do a modelling and beer meet up.

It seems that quite a few of us are using quite different methods for amplifying our modellers - lots of different powered cab choices, some with power amps and regular speakers, and some straight into the PA

Just need a good room next to a kebab place!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1655
    If there is anyone near the M65-M61 area I'd be willing..  I'm looking to A-B with my HD500X..
    My trading feedback

• I struggled to find somewhere to try a Fractal device too. They're not easy! It's also a lot of outlay to just end up sending back after 30 days. That said, I'm very happy I found a second hand AXE FX II XL, it's the best purchase I've ever made, hands down!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7402

It seems that quite a few of us are using quite different methods for amplifying our modellers - lots of different powered cab choices, some with power amps and regular speakers, and some straight into the PA

The Swindon Gasfest venue fits those criteria I think 
    Red ones are better. 
    I got the raging shits from a kebab van near the pub last time!

The wife came to that one. I was willing to try to keep the post Gasfest romantic intent going but for some reason...
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    Well, if any of you ne'er do wells want to have a go on an Axe Fx II, you are more than welcome, usual fee of Hob Nobs of course ;)
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7402
    Other eateries are in the same parade of shops
    Red ones are better. 
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105

Mmmm models and beer?!

where and when  =)
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    Do we have enough interest for a meet up? http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/102806/modeller-meet-up?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.