Sell my Squier tele, or keep as a back up?

What's Hot
beerbeer Frets: 24
So I got back into playing guitar this year after ages off. Bought a Squier starter pack with 15w amp and Indonesian made Tele. Great guitar, satin neck, frets really well dressed,etc.

But.....I've since bought a Fender tele and an Epi 339, and a Boss Katana 50w, so any suggestions what to do with the starter guitar? Should I just store it and keep it in case the others go wrong, or sell? :s
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    If you won't use it just flog it unless you have a sentimental attachment. 
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    You may or may not get some money for it.

You can't own too many Telecasters though, and if its the guitar you started learning on, it might feel like Rosebud one day?!
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484

You won't get much money for it. I'd keep it as a spare or set it up for an alternate tuning or something.

A spare is always handy if you have a few guitar buddies round your place too.

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    +1 for alternate tunings.

The basic woodworking and fret finishing on the Indonesian Telecaster should be fine. The pickups and some hardware may leave something to be desired. 

If your budget is tight, the single simplest improvement that you could make to the Squier Tele is series/parallel interconnection switching for the two pickups. (Full yawn-inducing explanation and schematic diagram on request.)

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Set it up for slide playing?
  • beerbeer Frets: 24
    Thanks all, I think I might keep it and hang it on the wall. Would love to see it go to a good home, but like you say, it isn't worth a huge amount.
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Keep it tuned to open G and pretend to be Keef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    beer said:
    Thanks all, I think I might keep it and hang it on the wall. Would love to see it go to a good home, but like you say, it isn't worth a huge amount.
    I've got several guitars I don't play much, if you have them somewhere like on your wall on hooks then you will likely grab it down once in a while for a change if nothing else.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 254
    I've got one of those i take to gigs as a back up, i've change bridge to one with compensated brass saddles and put some Tonerider pick ups in it, sounds pretty good for what it is. 
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    Keep it, I've got one that I take when I go to open jams, especially in bars.  I don't have to worry about it as much, and I find that people are so amazed at the sound I'm kind of embarrassed.  It might be because I don't bother with effects pedals and usually just plug straight into whatever backline amps are there(usually Fender tube amps), but it really sings.  BTW, I have a Katana 50 as well, love it. 

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2343
    +1 keep it as backup/spare unless youre really skint
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
    smash the sh!t out of it like pete townshend
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    edited May 2017
    Either use it to learn setup things on, like changing pickups, adjusting action, intonation, truss rod etc.

Or break it into bits and then use those bits for other things, like if the neck is really nice, maybe buy a Telemaster body if one comes up cheap and make a Telemaster and then sell the original body or something.

Oh, or modify it, P90 in the neck, reverse control plate, Chinese knock-off Bigsby etc.

This is coming from someones that loves messing around with guitars in some form or other.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom