How do I crack this? (Maxon PH-350)

What's Hot
JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
edited May 2017 in Making & Modding
I have a Maxon PH-350 Phase pedal that I'd like to open to see if there's a trimpot available. Unfortunately none of my small selection of tools seem to be suitable for the job of removing the base plate. Maxon are using these weird screw things...

Can anyone advise what the type of screwdriver/tool I need to get the job done?

Thanks.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 27585
    Torx security.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    Thanks @Sporky and @Hoof, that's really helpful. I'll order the set Hoof links to. Wisdoms all round.  :)
    I do like that you can buy a set with pretty much every security head in it.

Not so secure now!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Sporky said:

Not so secure now!
    Is that the thinking behind them, that not everyone has easy access? Probably best if electrical ignoramouses like me are kept at a safe distance.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    Local DIY stores typically have sets of bits to fit most things.
    I went with a Draper kit in the end, it turned up in a very swish metal box, v. pleased for 13.00.

Cracked open the phaser and there was indeed a trimpot to adjust the Feedback strength. It had been set crazy high, so that it emitted shrieks and whistles when set to 50%. Quick adjustment and it now sounds much better, at full Feedback it now gives a pronounced wave, nothing more, which works fine for my needs.

From internet reading it seems that not all the PH-350s have the trimpot so I was unsure if I'd find one. Happy that I did as otherwise I would have had to move it on, it was too heavy an effect for my taste.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Sounds like it was set wrong - either at the factory if you bought it new, or by a former owner - since I'm fairly sure the exact reason there *is* a trimpot is so you can set it to just below the point of self-oscillation when the external knob is up full, thus giving it the maximum useful range...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

ICBM said:
    Sounds like it was set wrong - either at the factory if you bought it new, or by a former owner - since I'm fairly sure the exact reason there *is* a trimpot is so you can set it to just below the point of self-oscillation when the external knob is up full, thus giving it the maximum useful range...
    I wasn't the first owner, so it may well be that a previous owner had tweaked it. That said, I've read several reports where people say that it does self oscillate (or whatever the hell it's doing) anyway. The sounds are not in the least 'musical' so I don't know why they would ship them like that.
    JezWynd said:
    Sporky said:

Not so secure now!
    Is that the thinking behind them, that not everyone has easy access? 
    Indeed - I think the idea is to deter the casual meddler who'll then complain that it's broken. There are some more secure bolt types where purchase of the driver bits is restricted. They're bloody expensive.