Replacement speaker for a ampeg m15 amp

What's Hot
musicalstashmusicalstash Frets: 53
Can anyone please give me some advice on a speaker selection for my sixties ampeg m15 valve amp.  

The amp came to me without a speaker  originally it would gave had a 15" jensen but not sure which type.  

I am going to purchase either a jensen c15n or p15n but not too sure what ohm rating it should be.  the amp is rated at 20 -30watts
Any help would be much appreciated 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bandmaster188bandmaster188 Frets: 391
    Pretty sure they are 8 ohm on all the ampeg guitar amps. Have the schematic on a disc. Will have a look and make sure
    The Swamp City Shakers
    edited May 2017
    Pretty sure they are 8 ohm on all the ampeg guitar amps. Have the schematic on a disc. Will have a look and make sure
    http://www.thetubestore.com/lib/thetubestore/schematics/Ampeg/Ampeg-M15-Amp-Schematic.pdf

I used to have a 62 reverberocket which someone had put a vintage 30 in. Swapped it out for the Jensen p12q which almost halved the weight and sounded much better too.
    i'd go with the Alnico speaker!
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • Thanks for the information.  Would there much difference between the jensen ceramic and the alnico as the price difference is around double for the latter.  
    edited May 2017
    The original speaker would have been the ceramic. When I had my reverberocket, I was kindly loaned a 1963 Jensen ceramic so I could compare with the alnico. I'm no expert with speaker comparisons but to me, the ceramic was a bit woolly and loose compared to the tighter punchier alnico. That said there was around 40 years age difference between the two. Alnicos will always have a bit more chime to them.
    hotrox have the p15n for £145 which seems quite good for an alnico 15". The WGS 15 is £250.
    see if you can find some comparisons on YouTube between the 2 types and see which you prefer. It's all down to personal taste in the end.
    The Swamp City Shakers
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom