Egnater rebel 30 or blackstar 60

What's Hot
mprcompmprcomp Frets: 1
the blackstar 60 would be more my choice if could adjust wattage.

anyone placed rebel?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    What style of music and how are you going to be using it?
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72244
    edited May 2017
    mprcomp said:
    the blackstar 60 would be more my choice if could adjust wattage.
    That's essentially what the master volume control does, on any amp where you're not overdriving the power stage.

You can play a 60W amp quietly just as easily as a 30W one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3671
    I have a Rebel 30 212 which I've played for the past three years. It's a  30-watt all-valve, 2-channel combo. It has a feature I've never found on another amp which is a "Tube Mix" knob which allows you to blend between EL84s and 6V6s, giving you access to a variety of tones, from American to British. There is a cleans channel with a 2-band EQ and an overdrive channel which is very touch-responsive with a three-band EQ, as well as a gain control that takes you from very mild breakup through to saturated overdrive. Both channels also have a "Bright" and "Tight" switch and each channel has its own "Watts" knob so you can dial in low-wattage crunch and high clean headroom, or any combination you need . There is also a reverb level per channel.

The wattage per channel control (from 1W up to 30W) doesn't make as much difference as you think in terms of volume, except at gig levels which you can really feel the "stiffness" or "sponginess" depending on how you configure the control.  The clean sounds are just brilliant and I mostly use it that as a pedal platform and kick in the overdrive channel for boost.

I'm about to put it up for sale as I've been diagnosed with a spinal condition and it's causing me problems with lifting it. Otherwise this is a keeper. Probably my favourite amp in thirty years of playing. If you're leaning towards an Egnater rather than the Blackstar, message me because I'd like to see it get a decent home.
  • rich75rich75 Frets: 36

I've got a Rebel 30 Mk II head and matching 1x12 speaker cab and I'd echo everything that @vasselmeyer said in the post above. The only real difference is that I use the separate clean and drive channels rather than just using the clean channel as a pedal platform. The amp can cover a wide range of sounds by playing with the various controls and it can sound really good at home or gigging volume.

I haven't tried the Blackstar

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1626

Which Blackstar '60' are we talking about? There is the Soloist which is a 1x12 combo and the HT-Stage which is a bit of a beast at 21kG (46lb) with 2x12s. The Stage also has a rather more versatile pre amp section, exactly the same in fact as the HT-100 head.

If you might need some serious welly now and again you might like to know that I never tested a 60 chassis that did NOT put out over 80 watts!

The 100W head puts out 120W way before it hits 10% THD and so could quite validly be sold as an 'HT-120' .

Dave.

• mprcompmprcomp Frets: 1
    Thanks for responses yeah the stage. See I would order a 2by12 combo rather than 1 by 12
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9513
    Gigged and record with my Rebel 30 many times... cracking underrated amo, imho
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3671
    It really is. My 2x12 is lovely to play. It's just too heavy for me now, despite the casters I bought for it.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1626

I did some numbers a while ago and figured an HT-100 chassis in a Stage 2x12 cab would still weigh quite a bit less than the Artisan 30. Some might question the need these days for such an animal but I think a fairly compact, 100W combo could sell?

Not that many about?

Dave.