Tele Headstock Template/Printer Advice Needed..

What's Hot
DrBobDrBob Frets: 3003
Soo, with the rapid onset of middle age I find myself wanting to defy convention less and less and I'm wo ndering whether there's enough wood left on my bitsa Esquire headstock to recarve it into a 'Standard' Tele silhouette.

Now there's loads of templates on t'internet but I can't for the life of me work out how to make my printer/s priint one out at 1:1, if you see what I mean ?

Looking at it what I'm ideally after is the tele headstock with the smallest convincing looking 'ball' tip to it that I can pring out on either my Lekmark S300 or my HP 6520.

Anyone ?

Cheers
Rob
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    There's a good app called Mindcad Tiler that allows you to print stuff 1:1. I used it to print the Tele body template to scale. 

Doesn't cost much. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Cant help you there, but how different is your existing headstock? Miles out?
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3003
    jd0272 said:
    Cant help you there, but how different is your existing headstock? Miles out?
    As it stands at the minute it's not even trying to be a Tele Headstock When Wez did it for my I was after a kind of DAG Telstar thing but because the headstock had already been partially cut there wasn't quite enough wood left on the 'nose' of it to get the fully squared off beak, he did a brilliant job but I'm a fickle beast (it's not for nothing that this guitar is called 'Triggers Broom' you know)and having seen the Esquires thread here I'm kind of keen to go for more of a 'plain vanilla' thing on it now..
    Where you at? North East or miles away? Got an esquire you could template off.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16654
    not sure there will be enough wood remaining

i took it from this

to this

printing pdf's or jpegs to scale always gives me a few head scratching minutes. always worth checking the known measurements like nut width and tuner spacing to make sure its right.

but i would forget an accurate template and just draw a tele style that fits onto the remaining wood. well, onto a paper representation of the remaining wood to see if it will work
    Wez,

Yes mate, looking at it I think I can get it pretty close but I might have to 'tighten up' a hair on the ball at the front of the headstock.
    What has been interesting is quite how many different Tele headstocks there are, even on the Fender U.S./MIM models..

Might leave it and play it rather than endlessly t***ing about with it...

Naahhhh
    Do-able, would be near enough excepting a forensic comparison.
    Actually,

Having had a quick trawl round the net I really like the look of the Hahn headstock..

http://www.hahnguitars.com/guitars/model-228/model-228-photos/

Maybe, maybe..
    I've got some time off next week I might have a little tinker then..
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    I like the burn marks next to the frets, or have you been on the marmite..? :)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I love Marmite. Tablespoon in yer gravy on a Sunday, grrr.
  • That reminds me - I still haven't gotten round to finishing my one! Last time I worked on it, I ended up in hospital! :O
    JookyChap said:
    I like the burn marks next to the frets, or have you been on the marmite..? :)
    i was going for an aged version of a raw maple neck, rather than the aged nitro look. 

i don't think the marmite smeared look is far out ;)
    also, the marmite factory is less than a mile from my house.   it pays to use local materials

@jd272 try a spoonful drizzled over your roasties after par-boiling
    I think EVH may be using it for his tan too
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    this is the same tru-oil finish tinted a different way for an aged nitro look
    @WevV thankfully it's nearly Sunday Dinner day   ;)
    In defense of he neck finish I would point out that I have a friend, Karl who has a particularly aggressive & corrosive sweat.
    I'd have to swap out the hardware on his guitar every couple of years as his sweat would just go straight through the Nickel or Chrome plating.
    I used to wonder if he'd be any use to the Fender Custom Shop as a human rapid aging device for guitars, just lend him a guitar for a week to age it 10 years !

Anyway, unlike many of us he's very much a one guitar man, and for the past 5 years or so that's been a Peavey Wolfgang with an oil/satin finish neck. And I'd have to say that after five years in his hands the neck on his Peavey does look verrrryyy much like my Esquire neck, in which sense I do think the neck on my Esquire is a fairly accurate cop of a type of wear.

Also, with the possible exception of the much vaunted Tyler,I'd have to say that after the fret dress, finish, & setup work that Wez has done on it, the Esquire is by far the best playing & feeling neck on the fleet by a long chalk.
    It's the one I reach for if I'm trying to work something out. It's kind of like home.

So I want to keep the neck, it's an absolute beaut, it's one of 'those' necks to me. I'd just like to change the shape of the headstock a bit..

@WezV, That said once done I will probably need a new 'Triggers Broom' logo for it !

Also eyeing up the new Danocaster headstock shape now