NPD

ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
In association with my NGD telecaster excitement this week I have splurged on a couple of toys.

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z410/ESBlonde/Gear/d269c3d2-feae-46c4-9962-509f5aec5a75_zpsc5fbe57b.jpg

A need a smaller pedal board making my Roland RE501 space echo is a none starter, so the obvious unit was a Boss RE20 and I bought a pedal tuner after decades of getting by with my ears and a hand held tuner before going on. Korg pitch black. In the foreground are 10 neutrik right angle jacks so I can make up the patch leads. I feel some joinery coming on.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'd love to get your feedback on the RE20.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    I have a first gig on 1st March with this band so will be able to assess the unit then. I won't be making huge demands on it, the band are doing quite traditional country rock.

I'll let you know in due course.

• having owned a few delays I have often thought the RE20 was the one I probably should have got. They seem to keep their prices really well on eBay though so I have never taken the plunge.   
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    I never got back on this, so just 4.5 years on heres a brief follow up.

Yep.

The not so brief version:
    Used this on my big board for all kinds of gig work over the years, it seems to have quite a musical/usable sound. To the extent that I mostly have it set to a good approximation of delay tails for lead breaks and leave it be. I'm a big fan of the KISS principle for gigging and this in conjunction with my HRD combo's reverb if required gives that dimension nicely.
    It is rugged, reliable, and sounds good. The abilty to get more precise settings is there, but without midi you need to bend down and twist something and the time doesn't exist in most live environments. I have used it in an orchestra pit during a couple of shows where very specific delay patterns could be selected in the down time between songs so thats not an issue with the unit.
    Mostly no one notices the subtle nuances of delay in the live setting, I've learned not to be too hung up on it.

So I am very happy with my selection and haven't taken my Roland RE501 chorus tape echo to a gig since I bought this.

• The RE20 is a great pedal and can lead to those endless playing session where you get lost in what you are playing. 
    The reverb is pretty horrid but works great with the delay. 
    I even like the hold function on the right pedal. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1054
    Sounds nothing like a real tape echo imo! 
  • The RE-20 is great. Simple to use, loaded with great sounds, and (usable) madness at the push of a switch. A classic, IMO.