Interface upgrade

What's Hot
Hey everyone,

Hoping I can get a bit of advice and some opinions on my next purchase; I currently use a Focusrite 2i4 in my home set up, it does the job, but I am now considuring an upgrade. Initially I wanted more preamps I/O flexibility for adding external preamps/hardware. I have been happy with the 2i4, so I started looking at the more expensive models in their range, the 18i8 seemed about right.

I then looked at other brands and one that has caught my eye is the Audient ID22. It is only two preamps, but a lot is said about the quality of the preamp and the converters. So I am asking for anyone's experience with both interfaces, is there a marked improvement in Audient's converters and preamps? Do you really get a jump in quality for another 30 quid? (Albeit with two rather than 4 preamps).

I am thinking I would prefer a jump in quality over two extra preamps, so any advice anyone can give on this will be massively appreciated. Also, if a different brand offers what I am looking for, or I need to increase my budget, please let me know.

Thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SnapSnap Frets: 6256
    hi,

what's your budget, and what do you want it for? Instruments, mics etc? Hobby use?
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Mac / PC ?
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 141
    Good point, some details may help! Using a PC, hobby musician really - that's all work and family will allow- budget preferably around the 350 mark, but negotiable, it will be used for recording guitars, vocals and bass through mics and DI for bass/guitar.
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    I have a saffire pro 40 I would take offers on, can provide it with a firewire card for a desktop if you need it.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    edited May 2017
    IMC1980 said:
    Good point, some details may help! Using a PC, hobby musician really - that's all work and family will allow- budget preferably around the 350 mark, but negotiable, it will be used for recording guitars, vocals and bass through mics and DI for bass/guitar.
    World's your Lobster innit ?!

Audient/Focusrite you mentioned, Presonus, M-Audio, RME/MoTU (well possibly not quite for £350) etc

If you got on well with the Scarlett 2i4, get the bigger brother and duck the learning curve - the ability to add additional I/O ports via ADAT lightpipe (etc) comes with the the sort of units you're looking at too

Good luck !

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    I have a saffire pro 40 I would take offers on, can provide it with a firewire card for a desktop if you need it.
    Thanks mate, but I am using a laptop which doesn't have firewire.
    Jalapeno said:
    IMC1980 said:

Audient/Focusrite you mentioned, Presonus, M-Audio, RME/MoTU (well possibly not quite for £350) etc

If you got on well with the Scarlett 2i4, get the bigger brother and duck the learning curve - the ability to add additional I/O ports via ADAT lightpipe (etc) comes with the the sort of units you're looking at too

Good luck !

Yeah, I think the RMEs and MOTOs are a bit out of budget. Although if there was a noticeable increase in converter/preamp quality, I may save for longer/sell more stuff. I do get on with the 2i4, it has been great and the quality has been good. It was only when I started looking into Audient I wondered if there is a quality difference that you can hear between interface brands. 
  • wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    I use, and can thoroughly recommend, an SPL Crimson. At the time I got it, the other option I was considering was the Audient. Good things about the SPL? Good conversion, 2 quality mic pres, 2 line ins, sp/dif in and out, no software app to control it as all the controls are on the front - I didn't think much of this feature before I got it but now I would say it's one of my favourite things about it! It's also got a big knob on the front for volume which is handy. (See what I did there?)
    The only negative for me is the lack of ADAT ports which would have made it perfect.
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22096
    My first card was a Soundblaster Platinum. I then went to an M-Audio Delta 44, experimented with an RME Multiface, an RME HDSP, RME Babyface, and a Steinberg UR22 before buying an SPL Crimson. I've also tried out the iD14, iD22, and the NI Komplete Audio 6. 

The iD and Crimson were audibly ahead of everything else. I don't have any acoustic treatment, monitors are a pair of Silver 5L monitors hooked up to an NAD 3130 amp. 

When I got the Crimson, I still had the Delta 44 installed and the UR22. Really was a big difference. The level of detail was much greater with the Crimson. My usual test WAV file is the 1959 recording of Rhapsody in Blue with Leonard Bernstein. Listening on headphones first then monitors was truly amazing. So much more detail right down to hearing the orchestra turning over their printed scores. That was running at 44.1kHz. 

The ID22 and ID14 are a little brighter. The general consensus at Gearslutz is that the Audient interfaces are very clear, the Crimson is a little warmer. Some would go with the Crimson sounding more analog. From the tests I ran, I agree with those thoughts. There is very little difference between the iD14 and iD22. Some prefer the iD14 over the 22 and vice versa.

The ID drivers are generally rated as being OK, not the best for low latency, but totally usable. 

Personally I would go for the iD14 and try it out. At £190, that leaves a good chunk of budget left if you wish to upgrade in other areas.

IMC1980 said:
    Jalapeno said:
    IMC1980 said:

Good luck !

Yeah, I think the RMEs and MOTOs are a bit out of budget. Although if there was a noticeable increase in converter/preamp quality, I may save for longer/sell more stuff. I do get on with the 2i4, it has been great and the quality has been good. It was only when I started looking into Audient I wondered if there is a quality difference that you can hear between interface brands. 
    This is definitely an option, I would probably look at buying hardware preamps and using line inputs to the interface, so no ADAT isn't a deal breaker.

I'll start looking at reviews for this, thanks!
    My first card was a Soundblaster Platinum. I then went to an M-Audio Delta 44, experimented with an RME Multiface, an RME HDSP, RME Babyface, and a Steinberg UR22 before buying an SPL Crimson. I've also tried out the iD14, iD22, and the NI Komplete Audio 6. 

The iD and Crimson were audibly ahead of everything else. I don't have any acoustic treatment, monitors are a pair of Silver 5L monitors hooked up to an NAD 3130 amp. 

When I got the Crimson, I still had the Delta 44 installed and the UR22. Really was a big difference. The level of detail was much greater with the Crimson. My usual test WAV file is the 1959 recording of Rhapsody in Blue with Leonard Bernstein. Listening on headphones first then monitors was truly amazing. So much more detail right down to hearing the orchestra turning over their printed scores. That was running at 44.1kHz. 

The ID22 and ID14 are a little brighter. The general consensus at Gearslutz is that the Audient interfaces are very clear, the Crimson is a little warmer. Some would go with the Crimson sounding more analog. From the tests I ran, I agree with those thoughts. There is very little difference between the iD14 and iD22. Some prefer the iD14 over the 22 and vice versa.

The ID drivers are generally rated as being OK, not the best for low latency, but totally usable. 

Personally I would go for the iD14 and try it out. At £190, that leaves a good chunk of budget left if you wish to upgrade in other areas.

This is really useful, I do record demos and ideas using amp sims in the first instance, so low latency is quite important for me. How is the latency on the Crimson? Does it have a Hi-Z input or would I need a DI for amp sim work?

Thanks
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I reckon you would definitely see a jump in quality from the Focusrite to another unit like the Audient or SPL - hell... I've got a Scarlett 18i20 1st gen and I've borrowed a MOTU 828x from work to test out compatibility stuff, and the MOTU is *MUCH* quieter than the Scarlett. The Scarlett is a bit noisy if I'm honest and I'm keen to move away from it myself. Cranking the Scarlett output results in the noise-floor being raised... cranking the MOTU 828's output does not result in noise-floor being raised.

I'm looking at the SPL Crimson and the Audient ID22. Here are the chief differences that matter to me:

- SPL doesn't have pads. The ID22 does.
    - ID22 doesn't have coaxial SPDIF. The SPL does.
    - ID22 has ADAT in and out so you can add an extra 8 ins and 8 outs at 44.1khz or 48khz. The SPL doesn't offer this so you're limited to it's built in ins+outs.
    - User reports seem to be that drivers for the ID22 aren't as good as the SPL drivers.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    Don't just assume pads make the difference @Drew_TNBD ;- you need to look at the maximum input signal you can put through it.

I've gone Clarett 8PreX as un upgrade to the 18i20.

The 8PreX has no pads, but the maximum input level on the mics is +18dBu

I still have an Octopre Mk2 which does have pads, and with the pads engaged the maximum input level is +17dBu

Personally I think if you believe in the long term you'll use ADAT and or SPDIF then that has to be factored in.  I use both, though I use SPDIF very regularly and ADAT only every now and again.
    With regards to DIs, I found an external DI box to be a noticeable upgrade vs the Scarlett Instrument in.  I re-tested when getting the Clarett, and I still preferred the external DI box.  The main one I use is the Orchid Classic DI, which is a bargain at £36 delivered IMO http://www.orchid-electronics.co.uk/classic_DI.htm

I also have a Palmer Pan 02, which is more compact but more expensive.  It's very marginal, but I subjectively prefer the sound of the Orchid.
    With regards to DIs, I found an external DI box to be a noticeable upgrade vs the Scarlett Instrument in.  I re-tested when getting the Clarett, and I still preferred the external DI box.  The main one I use is the Orchid Classic DI, which is a bargain at £36 delivered IMO http://www.orchid-electronics.co.uk/classic_DI.htm

I also have a Palmer Pan 02, which is more compact but more expensive.  It's very marginal, but I subjectively prefer the sound of the Orchid.
    Yep. I've got one of those Orchid boxes too, based on convo's I've had with guitarfishbay. They're really good DI boxes are will get you a much better signal for amp sims to work with. But I mostly use my Helix nowadays tbh!
    Don't just assume pads make the difference @Drew_TNBD ;- you need to look at the maximum input signal you can put through it.

I still have an Octopre Mk2 which does have pads, and with the pads engaged the maximum input level is +17dBu

Personally I think if you believe in the long term you'll use ADAT and or SPDIF then that has to be factored in.  I use both, though I use SPDIF very regularly and ADAT only every now and again.
    I use SPDIF more often than ADAT. But I do use ADAT when recording gigs or albums. For live drums with a hard hitting metal drummer, do you get by without any pads?? I find that at the gigs I record, I absolutely need pads for the kick and snare at least!
    If you intend to incorporate additional external hardware make sure you think about it pragmatically and long term.  This is where ADAT and SPDIF can be worth considering as features.  

It really doesn't take long to eat up outputs if you are planning long term integration of any stereo gear (such as secondary monitors, headphone amp, stereo compressor).

My philosophy is if it's possible to leave something set up permanently, so it'll always be ready for use, then that's ideal.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Drew_TNBD said:

I use SPDIF more often than ADAT. But I do use ADAT when recording gigs or albums. For live drums with a hard hitting metal drummer, do you get by without any pads?? I find that at the gigs I record, I absolutely need pads for the kick and snare at least!

I've not recorded any drums with the Clarett yet.  I did have to use pads with the Octopre, which I used over the 18i20 for drums because they're basically the same preamps except the Octopre has pads on every input.  IIRC I used pads on all shells to keep the levels safe.  

On paper the Clarett should have similar headroom without the pads.