Is there anyone here who is in a band doing atmospheric/cinematic post-rock/post-metal stuff?

Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
Just curious really. Always good to expand horizons and all that, and I like to find new British bands to play with and be a fan of. All too often online you just come across jazz blues shred olympics tossery... meh... not my thing.

IE: Post your slow, dirgey, reverb drenched, delay ridden, heavy dark+light+contrasty bands!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    I'm influenced by post rock atmospherics but my band tends to be more alt-rock, song-based.

If you're interested, on this page listen to the last track on the "El Nibre" EP (the one with the poppies), a song called "Strong Enough". It's probably our most post-rock particularly the final section.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I rather liked that Cirrus!
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    I concur very good indeed.
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    This is a band of mine from some years back. Please excuse the 240 upload quality, my dual rec being pretty much non-existent in the desk next to the shrill tele tiny terror death squeals, but anyways, you get the idea.

I think we stuck like 5 vids from that gig up.

• I went through an intense Mogwai/Godspeed You! Black Emperor/ Explosions In The Sky phase a few years back, and did this all myself:

• I used to be ish kinda post rock/metal prog stuff but pretty much long term hiatus now...........

have played gigs with 65daysofstatic (before they were big)

Post metal bands: Minsk, Latitudes and A Storm of Light (Member from Neurosis)

Never recorded the last thing we were working on though which was a shame

Old Is Gold
  • Cirrus said:
    I'm influenced by post rock atmospherics but my band tends to be more alt-rock, song-based.

If you're interested, on this page listen to the last track on the "El Nibre" EP (the one with the poppies), a song called "Strong Enough". It's probably our most post-rock particularly the final section.
    I really need to find my glasses,  I was looking for one with puppies on it.  :))

Nice stuff.
  • http://www.petslimmersoftheyear.co.uk/

Acquaintances of mine, here in Peterborough.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2926
    Post-Rock is something I love listening to, but haven't a clue how to write. Everything I come up with sounds like it came from 1983.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4996
    Post rock is more 88-93
  • Godspeed or Tortoise FTW
    Old Is Gold
    http://www.petslimmersoftheyear.co.uk/

Someone linked me on Facebook yesterday. Love them! Would be well up for sharing le stage with them.
  • MattGMattG Frets: 170
    some friends of mine from college
    http://telepathyband.bandcamp.com/
  • Drew_fx;159699" said:
    roundthebend said:

http://www.petslimmersoftheyear.co.uk/

Someone linked me on Facebook yesterday. Love them! Would be well up for sharing le stage with them.
    Contact them, or I will on your behalf. They're decent guys and this year should be pushing themselves a bit more as they have some backing. They play down in London occasionally.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    edited February 2014

EDIT: Totally got the wrong end of the stick here and can't see how this is appropriate to post - sorry Drew. Anyway, I'll keep it up as new music.

A friend at work is managing these guys at the moment and they can reproduce it live (seen them).

Very eclectic and the singer/band leader, Fjokra, usually plays everything on the demos and that can be witnessed on the MGMT cover (see the video).

Try "Slyrex" for a good mix of light and shade but all the tracks are worth a listen and "Old time nook" is just barmy and they're very different!

http://fjokra.com/

• Any recommendations for bands to get me into this sort of stuff?  

At the moment, if it drops below 150bpm, GTFO.  Well, not really, but it's been a while since I expanded my horizons and I feel that the doomier shiz might be where it's at, especially if I can just put in a 1/4 time dub synth beat drop in a fuzzed out, mega heavy, reverb drenched mess.
  • MattGMattG Frets: 170
    edited February 2014
    russian circles :P
    roundthebend;159754" said:
    Contact them, or I will on your behalf. They're decent guys and this year should be pushing themselves a bit more as they have some backing. They play down in London occasionally.
    Yeah give them a ping and I'll hit them up when I get a chance too.

MattG;159711" said:
    some friends of mine from college

http://telepathyband.bandcamp.com/
    Aye, played with those guys once or twice. Nice chaps!

Any recommendations for bands to get me into this sort of stuff?  

At the moment, if it drops below 150bpm, GTFO.  Well, not really, but it's been a while since I expanded my horizons and I feel that the doomier shiz might be where it's at, especially if I can just put in a 1/4 time dub synth beat drop in a fuzzed out, mega heavy, reverb drenched mess.

Aside from my band? :P

Checkout 'Bossk' and 'Latitudes' if you want the more doomier end of things whilst still having some of that atmospheric edge.
    Slint and Neurosis are the obvious stating points for this sort of thing.
    For some other bands -
    Fall of Efrafa
    Capricorns
    Amebix's comeback Sonic Mass is incredible.
    Deadbird
    Also try some of the black metal bands that are doing post metal.
    Urfaust
    The Ruins of Beverast
    Altar of Plagues
    Siedrh
    Mgla

And then there is the likes of Gnaw Their Tongues.
    edited February 2014
    One of the best the insteumental post metal bands the uk produced. Membets of Fabric, Iron Monkey and Orange Goblin.