Fretwork - Who does their own?

What's Hot

I'm considering a foray into the world of fret levelling and crowning.

Watched a couple of YT vids, and it seems relatively straightforward. With the right tools, obviously.

I was hoping that PMT or somewhere would sell the tools so I could have a faff this weekend, but it seems I'll have to buy online.

What type of files are people using, and where did you get them?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7009
    tFB Trader
    If you are quick you could go to see Bill at Tonetech in Stockport, He has everything you need
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921
    Wicked, thanks @SteveRobinson
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    Its not as hard as you would imagine just a slow methodical approach and a bit of practice and you'll be fine

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    The tooling up is not cheap but saves you money in the long run. I've done about ten guitars over the last 5 years.

You will need a leveling bar (got my last from Crimson guitars) and 320 self adhesive paper, a fret rounding file (mine from stew mac)  600-1200 paper for polishing & steel wool or such for final polishing.

If you are careful and not afraid of DIY you will be fine, watch as many videos as you can and read up about fall off on the upper frets as this makes a huge difference, I have a smaller diamond sharpening stone for this part of the fingerboard.
    The accuracy of the cut under the high E is the most crucial as its closest to teh fingerboard.

Getting the neck straight for leveling and taking uneven fret heights and fingerboard into account is trickier and comes with experience. 

I  never did see the need for "fall off" from the 15th fret upwards, if the frets are level and crowned properly, you don't need to do it as using a full length levelling beam etc, I use the 8" steel blocks from stewmac, Coarse, Med-Fine and Extra-Fine and you can feel the drag when its levelling .

• Paul_LPaul_L Frets: 52
    I have done some fretwork in the past. You just have to go slow and keep checking your progress. Those stainless steel fretboard protectors are very handy. Saves you having to use masking tape. 
    Maintained it for 20 years. This old guitar's had 17 new necks and 14 new bodies in its time.
  • TimberGTimberG Frets: 50
    I have done my own fretwork too as for tools 
    fret bending jig (got mine from GW) for 60 quid
    leveling beam Crimson
    beveling file Crimson
    leveling file Crimson
    fret cutters (GW)
    looking to get a free press but use a fret hammer instead 

I agree with @Paul_L  take your time and check and then check again

Ben at Crimson does a series of YT tutorials which are really good 

• Paul_LPaul_L Frets: 52
    One thing from experience. Before working on the frets tap each one down with a block of hardwood and a tack hammer to make sure they are fully seated. Then check them for levelness. 
    Maintained it for 20 years. This old guitar's had 17 new necks and 14 new bodies in its time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Decent files are a lifesaver as is a flat edge for scraping rosewood fretboards. I bought a fret press from Stewmac, I prefer it to hammering frets in and "shocking" the neck
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16651
    Pressing is a lot more consistent than hammering, which then means you have a lot less levelling and dressing to do. 

i am sure some out their could hammer them in consistently.... but not without a lot of practice first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom