New amp day ! Marshall lead 12 combo

riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
I've been looking for a small practice amp , and spotted this , so took a chance on it .
i instantly feel at home with it and I think it sounds pretty good !

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72293
    Great little amps, much improved with a better speaker.

If it's the earlier 'tall' version you can actually get a 12" into the cabinet if you really want to!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    Celestion G10 Vintage or G10 Greenback, if you don't want to mod it for a 12". Vintage for a more modern dark rock tone, Greenback for a more bluesy/classic tone.

Might be a trick of the photo but it looks like it's been cut out for a 12" already...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I had one of those. Wasn't at all bad.
    Think mine had reverb although I could be wrong, it was a long time ago.
    Sassafras said:
    I had one of those. Wasn't at all bad.
    Think mine had reverb although I could be wrong, it was a long time ago.
    They did a reverb model as well. I had both - I ran them in stereo with a Boss CE-3 pedal! Happy days… :) (1986)

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Thinking about it, it must've had reverb. I don't think I've ever bought an amp without it.
    Apart from my ZVex Nano. Can't think where you'd put the springs in one of those. They'd have to be really tiny springs. :)
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1630

Ooo! I am looking for something to recommend son looks for in France. He is always a bit strapped so what would a fairly decent second hand one go for?

Is the internal speaker 4 Ohms IC? If so would an 8 Ohm Greenback 10" be a lot quieter? He really only need pretty intimate 'café jazz' levels.

Dave.

• clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    edited May 2017
    Nice timing

Per @ICBM's thoughts in a recent thread on these I unsoldered the speaker in mine and added a jack to the speaker leads to use an external (8 ohm) 2x12 cab instead of the 10" Celestion.  

Nice!  I won't lie, it's not going to replace my valve head any time, but, not too shabby

Good enough for me to do the jack job properly per @ICBM when I get the time, it's a useful option to have around the house.

Dave, sorry, forgot you asked, the internal speaker is 8 ohm.  In my case the label on it looks just like the label on the 80s G12T-75s I have, plain white, no indication if it's Vintage or Greenback flavoured.
    The internal speaker is 8 ohm on the Lead 12, but strangely 16 ohm on the Reverb 12... I don't know why!

The stock speaker should be a G10D-25, which has a rather small magnet and is a bit tinny-sounding.

A typical price for them is £75 to £100 depending on condition.

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    edited May 2017
    I bought one of those as a birthday present for my brother. He still has it. 

The loudspeaker output modification looks like a good idea. My Blackstar HT-5 certainly sounded better when I upgraded the stock MIC Celestion to an Eminence Legend. (I wanted more of an "American" sound than the ISF feature could provide.)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    I had one of these given to me a month or so back, in perfect condition too.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    ecc83 said:

Ooo! I am looking for something to recommend son looks for in France. He is always a bit strapped so what would a fairly decent second hand one go for?

Is the internal speaker 4 Ohms IC? If so would an 8 Ohm Greenback 10" be a lot quieter? He really only need pretty intimate 'café jazz' levels.

Dave.

I've got one of the smaller ones here Dave, it requires a look over, but you're welcome to it if you want it.
  • polotskapolotska Frets: 116
    edited May 2017
    I like that series of amps a lot, though I don’t like the stock speaker in the Lead 12s (the G10D-25 as ICBM mentioned) at all—the G10L-35 that came in the slightly-larger Lead 20 is really quite a bit better. For current speakers, I’d expect a G10 Greenback to be an excellent choice for traditional Marshall sounds.

Johan Segeborn very recently posted another video with a Lead 12 (and the Bass 12, which I’ve never tried, but seems to work quite well for guitar):

I really want an original Lead 12 mini-stack again. I had one maybe 25 years ago, it was quite cool - but I thought it was a bit silly and toy-like, so I sold it.

Of course today it would go perfectly with my Ampeg SVT Micro-VR… :)

Also a heads-up for anyone in the Staffordshire area - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MARSHALL-5005-Model-Lead-12-Vintage-1980s-Solid-State-Amp-Guitar-Amplifier-/262965871615?hash=item3d39fcc3ff:g:6w4AAOSwX61ZCjwS

This is the earliest version with the metal handle ends, brushed-metal panel and no headphone/line out jack. Quite rare.