I would like a JHS Angry Charlie model for the Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
    edited May 2017
    Cabicular said:
    You can use amp with no cab but it's pre-amp and power amp, you don't get pre-amp only in Helix.
    Yes you do!
    look at your Helix!

Well blow me down, so you do, I've never noticed them before. Excellent - I will give that go. A whole new world of tones to explore.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Cabicular said:
    You can use amp with no cab but it's pre-amp and power amp, you don't get pre-amp only in Helix.
    Yes you do!
    look at your Helix!

Well blow me down, so you do, I've never noticed them before. Excellent - I will give that go. A whole new world of tones to explore.
    Definitely try them both though. In theory the preamp only should do the job but I found them a little harsh on their own. I find it more pedal like with the pre\power model and no cab.
    Screw the rulez .. we are rebels! ;)

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7392
    Cabicular said:
    Yes you do!
    look at your Helix!

"Helix - If You Want It, They Probably Already Thought Of It" 

;-)

Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:
    Cabicular said:
    Yes you do!
    look at your Helix!

"Helix - If You Want It, They Probably Already Thought Of It" 

;-)

Although it would be nice to have the poweramp only separated 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I used to use (admittedly it was pod farm...) amp preamp, power amp AND cab model into the front of a real valve amp via my laptop. 

If it sounds good, it sounds good. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2193
    edited May 2017
    I've just spent the last hour trying to get close to the sound I get from the settings I use on my Angry Charlie V2 by doing A/B comparisons.

I couldn't seem to get there using the Helix pre-amps and amps, but that might be down to my inexperience.

The closest I could get from the Helix was using a Hedgehog D9 distortion set to max gain with the tone rolled back to about 2.0. I also had to put an extra 6dB gain block in front of the Hedgehog to get enough drive.

It's not a competition.
    Yes I have had a play too, not doing it for me either.

• It's needs a Xotic BB Preamp. Take your Angry Charlie's and get to the back of the queue 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24195
    I presume you fine people have added your desires on the Ideascale?
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4687
    timhulio said:
    It's a Brown Sound In A Box clone, so if you fancy the challenge you can buy the kit from GGG:
    http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/effects-projects/distortion/bsiab-2/

Or even easier, search eBay for one already built. Check the gutshots to make sure it isn't a total mess though.

As for the Helix, the BSIAB is supposed to sound like a small Marshall amp, so there must be a patch that sounds pretty close.

Or Fuzzdog:-

http://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/BSIAB2_-_Brown_Sound_in_a_Box/p847124_9537062.aspx

http://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/Box_of_Krunch/p847124_14539526.aspx

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26923
    edited May 2017
    I don't know what ideascale is, but if it's pedal-modelling requests I have some! Off to google I go... :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24195
    Yup.

Then we can all vote for your ideas. Or indeed downvote them!

edited May 2017

Yep, along with my request for a model of the EH Electric Mistress (non-deluxe) which has a far sweeter sound than the Deluxe. which has a huge total of 15 votes so I don't expect that to be happening anytime soon

have you had a go at my custom tone? 
    That is my version of ACDC type Marshall. I don't have an AC but I have the sweet tea and thats sounds close to how I set it up
    The 1\4 " jacks are set for no cab emulation. I run them straight into a power amp.
    https://uk.line6.com/customtone/tone/2990677/
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    I'd like an EP Booster. Still my favourite thing to add to a clean tone to give it that 'something'
    Cabicular said:
    have you had a go at my custom tone? 
    That is my version of ACDC type Marshall. I don't have an AC but I have the sweet tea and thats sounds close to how I set it up
    The 1\4 " jacks are set for no cab emulation. I run them straight into a power amp.
    https://uk.line6.com/customtone/tone/2990677/
    I downloaded it and could import it after I changed the file type from l6t to hlx. Also, I moved the cab into the 1/4 jack path so that I could listen to it through headphones connected to my Helix.

Which snapshot should I listen to. Is it the one called 'Lead'?
    It's not a competition.
    If you are using the phones just change the output of the xlrs to all outputs

Dirt is the Marshall tone
    Drive is it stacked with a Minotaur 
    lead is louder but more drive and delay

Cabicular said:

Thanks. I'd sussed that I needed to change the settings so that the cab was in the phones. Those are really great tones but still not really the sound of my Angry Charlie into a clean amp. Although, arguably, with new gear, I need to move forwards and find new sounds, rather than expect to exactly recreate what I had before.

As I said in an earlier post, the closest I've got is by putting a gain block in front of a Hedgehog then putting it on max gain as well.

I'll try and do a clip if I get time.
    It's not a competition.
    Cabicular said:

Thanks. I'd sussed that I needed to change the settings so that the cab was in the phones. Those are really great tones but still not really the sound of my Angry Charlie into a clean amp. Although, arguably, with new gear, I need to move forwards and find new sounds, rather than expect to exactly recreate what I had before.

As I said in an earlier post, the closest I've got is by putting a gain block in front of a Hedgehog then putting it on max gain as well.

I'll try and do a clip if I get time.
    I guess it depends how you set it :)
    thats close to how my sweet tea sounds but then I set it for that type of tone. It's a bit less gainy than the AC but that's deliberate (I find it is a bit too compressed at times)
    edited May 2017
    Here's an Angry Charlie clip at the link below. The easiest way I could do this is to use a clean amp in the Helix. I'm not sure how well this will come across.

The amp in the Helix is a US Double Nrm (i.e a Fender Twin clean amp) and I added some reverb and delay in the Helix.

The first play through is with my actual Angry Charlie V2 pedal connected to the input of the Helix. The second play through is with a 6dB gain block going into the input of a Hedgehog D9 (set on full gain) within the Helix, which is the closest I've got so far to emulating my Angry Charlie.

There's too much bottom end in the Hedgehog clip which I know will muddy the mix in an overall track or band context, but I suppose I could EQ that out.

It's not a competition.