1962 Vox AC30 value

voxmanjohnvoxmanjohn Frets: 75
A friend is selling a 1962 Vox AC30 which I am quite tempted by. Its far from original, he is asking for £1000 but dont know if is worth for what it is.

Chassis all original coppertop panel.
It is in a rose morris cab as the original got wood worm.
1 original vox blue alnico speaker, 1 new celestion blue alnico.
Non original footswitch wired in(will it be easy to get a jmi egg footswitch and wire in?)

Seems to be running and sounding lush!

Any help? All appreciated.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ParkerParker Frets: 960
    The chassis is original, but are the components? 

Considering Korg era AC30's are now priced at c.£800-1000, I'd say it's a good deal if you're not a cork sniffer
  • PigknowsPigknows Frets: 39
    I think it's worth that, if all working right and sounding good. Probably not much more given the non original cab and speaker.
  • voxmanjohnvoxmanjohn Frets: 75
    Parker said:
    The chassis is original, but are the components? 

Considering Korg era AC30's are now priced at c.£800-1000, I'd say it's a good deal if you're not a cork sniffer
    As far as I know the components are all original. Thanks for your reply. Tempted to say the least! 
  • voxmanjohnvoxmanjohn Frets: 75
    Pigknows said:
    I think it's worth that, if all working right and sounding good. Probably not much more given the non original cab and speaker.
    Yes seems to sounding great! It was just its non originality but then when you see a completely original vox go for over 2 grand kind of obviously a bargain!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72308
    The price is probably about right considering the lack of originality, if the major internal components are also original and the amp is in good, serviced condition (ie preferably the filter caps are *not* original :) ). If it's a '62 copper panel it won't be a Top Boost either I don't think (or not without a back-panel insert circuit), which lowers its desirability somewhat, although there are some people who prefer them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    edited May 2017
    Buying old AC30's for the right price can be a daunting prospect unless you really know what you are doing.  If this doesn't have the top-boost not only is it less desirable from a resale perspective, it won't of course replicate the top-boost tones that AC30's are noted for.  As @ICBM says, some folk prefer non TB versions but I'd suggest they are likely to be in the minority.  If the amp has been well maintained and kept in good order then its worth considering but IMO £1,000 based on your description of non-original components (speaker, cabinet, footswitch) and for a non-TB version, is a tad high. I'd have thought £800-£850 max.   You also need to consider ongoing repairs/maintenance with an amp of this age - if anything does need to be replaced parts can be pricey particularly if you want to try & keep these period correct. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    I think the top boost module was introduced in 1962, which was either factory or technician fitted - so does yours have the tell tale cut away at the back with the separate treble and bass controls? The top boost was integrated in 1964. I am told the top boost module amps are quite collectible in a quirky sort of way. If it sounds right and the trem is working and not too much background hum, yes you may be paying a bit over the odds, but not a million miles away, its just buying the Rick 360 to go with it :-)