Rearranged gear last week to better use 1x12 cab for Cub 12R & DSL401

VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
edited May 2017 in Amps
I've got very limited space in my den at home, and have to stack amps and cabs in three 'piles'. My closed back Laney GS112VE extn cab with Celestion Seventy Eighty has always lived under my Laney VC30-210, which in turn sits on my Marshall Valvestate 1x12 8080 that can't run an extn cab ( no extn cab out).  

So I've now moved the GS112VE on top of my 1x12 Marshall DSL401 and under my 1x12 Laney Cub 12R so that I can connect it to either amp for a bigger 2x12 tone. The Cub has a Vintage 30 and the DSL401 has a Classic Lead 80.

The DSL401 has a much bigger cab than the Cub, so whilst both sound bigger and fuller with the extn cab, the most noticeable difference is with the Cub that just sounds huge with the GS112VE under it.  The quality of tone and feel from this little relatively inexpensive amp is just extraordinary especially considering its low price point and I honestly think its one of the most under rated 'little secrets' out there.  To be fair in addition to the V30 upgrade I put in a full replacement set of JJ hand tested valves to replace the stock Ruby valves that were a massive improvement.  

Been jamming through the Cub plus extn cab all week and thoroughly enjoying it.  
I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Totally agree about the cub. Benefits hugely from a simple speaker upgrade in the combo too.
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2343
    i really like the sound and the simplicity of the cub, only thing that puts me off is the build quality. ive had three of them over the last few years and they all developed various faults. 
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    i really like the sound and the simplicity of the cub, only thing that puts me off is the build quality. ive had three of them over the last few years and they all developed various faults. 
    I think all amps can develop faults. My Cub is first gen and had the thermal cut out issue that Laney rectified in the first 2 mths - the new Cubs don't have that issue. After 18 months there was a faulty contact in one of the power tube socket bases that DV247 repaired under warranty and they also replaced the red mains light with a better quality unit. Since then its been perfect. All easy to fix and nothing major.

My Laney VC30-210 developed a broken guitar input connection after 15 months, but fixed by Laney under warranty.

My Marshall 8080 Valvestate had to be replaced with a new one 2 months after purchase because there was a problem with the power stage.  It was then perfect for over 20 yrs before it needed a full service with new pots. 

A Line 6 Flextone II Plus had to be replaced after 2 months because the processor developed a fault. Never had a problem with the replacement. 

My 2003 DSL401 was bought used and developed a common problem with a bridge circuit that had to be fixed, and 6 months ago an internal fuse blew that was a common problem with these amps but sorted with a higher rated fuse.

The only amp that has been perfect since I bought it new in Jan 2004 is my Vox Valvetronix AD120VTX and it is my most used amp by far.

So I think the Cub has been pretty good with only minor issues.  

Back in the day when I had a Vox AC30 6 - input, various Marshalls (JTM45, Plexi 50w, JCM800) and Fender Black and Silver face amps, Selmer Zodiac Treble n Bass 50 etc, there was always something that had to be sorted.  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)