making&modding vs playing

What's Hot
Hi
Anyone else noticed that actually they get more fun out of making&modding than playing? I wish I was as keen on practising as I am on mucking about with tools&paint!:)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TimberGTimberG Frets: 50
    Guilty as charged
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16658
    Yeah, but i have been like that for 20 years now.

i dont have an issue with it.  Leo Fender was not a proficient player.

either way, it is vitally important to get feedback from a wide range on players.
  • scalino65scalino65 Frets: 261
    ha! good to know its not just me. I just finished re-doing a MIM strat that I'm really pleased with but now its back in its case and I have 3 other builds/refins to do. I know the MIM will not get played now as my sole interest is in finishing the others.
    Its starting to drive me slightly nuts..:)
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783
    I like them equally.
    What I really like is solving problems, whether they be playing guitars, playing drums or building guitars.

• RolandRoland Frets: 8693
    There's no reason why you shouldn't enjoy making or maintaining equipment as much as, or more than, playing it. I've just spent an enjoyable morning rewiring and reprogramming my lighting rig. It now has a sound-to-light setting which responds to the guitar signal. 

A lot of building and modifying involves learning about your instrument, and building your skills. As does practising.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • fftcfftc Frets: 559
    I have a similar thing with bicycles. But I find it comes in waves. Sometimes I would rather build and tinker, and then other times I want to do nothing except ride them. The only time that's an issue is when I'd rather tinker but there's nowt to do, or when I want to ride but everything needs fixed!
    Nothing wrong with either position as long as you're enjoying it.
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2393
    I tinker/refinish far more than I play these days, my job has really mashed up my fingers so I struggle around the fretboard (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!) in fact I'm selling up a bunch of guitars that I'll never play and just keep 2 electrics, 1 acoustic and a bass. 
    Glad the weather has finally turned as I've been itching to get in the shed to refinish a Westone bass for someone (my first go with rustins plastic coat) and my Washburn Rs10v badly needs to be red :) 
  • scalino65scalino65 Frets: 261
    haha! yes. TO THE SHED!  I've started calling mine the CustomShed.....its not really its just an absolute tip at the moment!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10398
    I have no interest in mucking about with guitars but I do enjoy modifying amps, mixers and and anything else electronic so they work in a way I want them to rather than standard. A quick look in my lead bag reveals almost nothing is standard, all the leads are modded to go with modded IEM boxs and stereo aux sends to mic cable, send and return jacks to mic cable. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • dirty_p90dirty_p90 Frets: 13
    And I thought it was just me. My modding / repairing is far better than my playing
    A Guitar Is For Life 
    Not Just For Christmas
  • jimificationjimification Frets: 161
    edited May 2017
    No. I'm all about the playing and I've just put a couple together because it seemed the best way to get exactly what I wanted....except strangely I'm half way though my current build I already want to start another one!
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2374
    At the moment, I seem to get more pleasure from putting together parts guitars and tinkering than playing, that'll change again once the current project is done and playable, until I move onto the next project :D 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Now you come to mention it...
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.