Didn't realise how easy Poly was to strip ... also colour choice advice needed :)

What's Hot
4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
in Making & Modding tFB Trader
In a moment of madness I decided to strip the poly finish from my new strat ... it was a lovely colour, just a bit shiny and plastic-y looking. Anyway, turns out it only takes an hour tops with a heat gun and scraper. Just peels right off - almost as if the guitar has been dipped in plastic or something. I was surprised, there seems to be zero adhesion between the wood and the finish. 

I'll be re-finishing in nitro - likely daphne blue again, but maybe shoreline gold or candy apple red instead? Any other suggestions?

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    70's natural!!!!!!!

Do it! Do it!!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    70's natural!!!!!!!

Do it! Do it!!!
    Nah - definitely going to be a colour - not a fan of natural wood guitars :)
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    70's natural!!!!!!!

Do it! Do it!!!
    Nah - definitely going to be a colour - not a fan of natural wood guitars :)
    Surf Green Satin then....

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28097
    Candy apple green.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    I'd go gold but I prefer Firemist to shoreline.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    Shell Pink
    Stop crying, start buying
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    I seen a lovely fender orange colour on something the other day.
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553

I'm a bit obsessed with Roman Bronze at the moment...

• GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7160
    The fender pewter colour is pretty great 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28330
    Just to add - not all poly is easy. I had one guitar that was easy, one that was a major pain in the ass, and one that I gave up on!
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28330
    Daphne blue is my fave strat colour, especially aged looking
  • lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    axisus said:
    Daphne blue is my fave strat colour, especially aged looking
    +1 I would do the original colour again and agreed it looks amazing slightly aged or dare I say a bit relic-ed.... I actually like the way it looked half stripped :)
  • scalino65scalino65 Frets: 261
    How about Burgandy Mist? I'm just doing a JV strat in that colour at the moment. Its unbelievable how it changes in the light from burgandy to silver to blue...
    These pics are next to a window so the colour differences are purely down to the light (rather than me mucking up the paint!)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    Decided to keep it 50s correct - so it's going to be re-sprayed by @lamf68 in Daphne blue - albeit with a tinted clear coat to age the colour. I'll also be asking him to lacquer check and lightly relic it - i.e. not full on sanded-off arm wear, but a few light dings and edge scrapes. :)
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6058
     just a bit shiny and plastic-y looking... almost as if the guitar has been dipped in plastic or something

Good description of Fender's poly finishes, that's exactly how they feel to me. The new colour looks great, good choice.
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2344
    tFB Trader
    In a moment of madness I decided to strip the poly finish from my new strat ... it was a lovely colour, just a bit shiny and plastic-y looking. Anyway, turns out it only takes an hour tops with a heat gun and scraper. Just peels right off - almost as if the guitar has been dipped in plastic or something. I was surprised, there seems to be zero adhesion between the wood and the finish. 

I'll be re-finishing in nitro - likely daphne blue again, but maybe shoreline gold or candy apple red instead? Any other suggestions?

Not sure if that's a polyester finish looks  too thin, a lot more like 2K,  polyester tends to  look very waxy and very lumpy in the pick up routs.  

Unless of course you meant 2K Poly  and not polyester .

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

• markblackmarkblack Frets: 1591
    Shell Pink + Gold anodised! (just no relic non-sense)

• bandmaster188bandmaster188 Frets: 391

What's the circular route for in between the neck and middle routes? I noticed I had this on my deluxe tele when I changed the scratch plate a while ago.
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    Fender cuts "crop circle" dimples into MIM guitar bodies to prevent anybody passing them off as MIA. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.