SquierJ Bass action height question

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4943
My brother-in-law purchased a new Squier J Bass recently.  I know nothing about bass guitar but, to me, the action seems high.  It is very high compared to all my six string guitars.  I measured it at the 21st fret and it is three sixteenths of an inch from the top of the 21st fret to the bottom of the low E string.

It that what would be expected on a bass guitar or is it high?

Thanks.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    Sounds about right, but you need to know far more about the setup than the string height at the last fret to tell if it's set up right. The action measured there could be 1mm and it could still be unplayably high were it really counts.

Hold the bass in the playing position to check it - not flat on its back, or the weight of the neck will affect the relief and the action.

Fret each string at the third fret, and look at the gap between the string and the first fret. If the gap is larger than a quarter of the string diameter (at most), the nut is too high.

Fret the G string at the first fret and the last with both hands, and look at the gap between the string and the 7th fret. Any larger than half the string diameter, and the neck has too much relief. (You can check for a twist using the other strings if you want.)

Play a note hard above the 12th fret. If it rattles or buzzes, the bridge saddles are too low.

If all the other things are correct, and the bridge saddle height screws are sticking up above the tops of the saddles, the neck needs shimming.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4943
    Thanks @ICBM, just the kind of info that I needed.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    The action on my Jazz Bass was also a bit high when I bought it new. A quick check of the neck relief and a couple of quarter turns on the truss rod sorted it. Plays like a dream now.
  • ^ ^ ^ same as this with a Squier P Bass Special. A couple of 1/4 turns and left it overnight to settle, then another turn the next day - all's good. :)