DSL 401 - Dead?

What's Hot
FezFez Frets: 522
Power valves glowing nicely but no sound.
Fuses OK slight hum from transformer as normal.
So my first thought is pre amp tube gone. Any other ideas on anything else it could be?
Don't touch that dial.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3306
    edited May 2017
    M @Fez - you're close enough to take it to Henk in Horsham. He'll sort it or at least tell you what's wrong.

All the best
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Bridge rectifier? Have you had it seen to previously?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72304
    The preamp valve filament rectifier has desoldered itself. This is 'the DSL401 fault'.

You should see the power valves and the phase inverter still glowing, and the other preamp valves dead.

You can fix it permanently by fitting the heatsink that Marshall saved a few pence by not doing, and resoldering it.

It's also worth fitting a couple of rubber grommets around the upper rear chassis bolts to increase the cooling gap slightly.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FezFez Frets: 522
    Sounds like a job for Henk then. He sorted my other Marshall out a couple of years back. Never had a problem with the 401 before it's had nothing done to it not even new power valves and and I have had it about 10 years. Prob get a re-valve while were at it.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Fez said:
    Sounds like a job for Henk then. He sorted my other Marshall out a couple of years back. Never had a problem with the 401 before it's had nothing done to it not even new power valves and and I have had it about 10 years. Prob get a re-valve while were at it.
    I only got new power valves on mine recently after 11 years and it sounds so much better
  • jimificationjimification Frets: 161
    Fez said:
    Good plan - Henk is a top bloke!
  • FezFez Frets: 522
    The 401 is back in the room after Henks tender ministrations. It have blown a valve and taken a resistor out as well. Henk also repaired my Fender Champ II which had a faulty switch and he replaced the volume pot so it now has a smooth rise in volume rather than off and loud.
    Don't touch that dial.