Nano Muff/Double Muff vs 70s Muff Fuzz

What's Hot
joe2517joe2517 Frets: 2
Hi all,

I was wondering if someone could help to clear this up for me. Basically I was wondering what the difference is between the circuit in the Nano Muff/Double Muff and the original 70s Muff Fuzz. Is it just that the 70s Muff Fuzz used IC/op-amps or is it a completely different circuit similar to a Big Muff?

Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1286
    tFB Trader
    Muff Fuzz = simple but effective fuzz. Quite unlike a Big Muff. Built in two versions, transistor and IC. The IC version is pleasantly crunchy, almost like a distortion effect. The only control on these is a volume knob.
    Double Muff = two transistor Muff Fuzz circuits in one box
    Nano Muff = transistor Muff Fuzz reissue
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • joe2517joe2517 Frets: 2
    Thanks for this, so are there both IC Muff Fuzzes and IC Big Muffs? If so is anyone making an IC Muff Fuzz? I don't think I've ever heard one unless that's what Billy Corgan uses...
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1286
    tFB Trader
    Yes, there are IC Muff Fuzzes and IC Big Muffs. Quite different effects. Billy Corgan is associated with the IC Big Muff.

Oddly enough, I build an IC Muff Fuzz:
    http://www.fredric.co.uk/demon-fuzz

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9713
    It's worth pointing out that not only are the Nano Muffs and Double muffs the fussiest pedals ever to have existed, they also sound like arse.
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • It's worth pointing out that not only are the Nano Muffs and Double muffs the fussiest pedals ever to have existed, they also sound like arse.

I love the tone of the double muff, especially as a low gain overdrive, but it's absolutely pointless because it sounds crap with a buffer before it and, weirdly, crap with anything after it too! It's truly unique... 

I hope a boutique builder can fix the circuit in some way, and make a double muff with two footswitches as it'd be a great pedal. But it just hates anything else... 
  • benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1396
    It's worth pointing out that not only are the Nano Muffs and Double muffs the fussiest pedals ever to have existed, they also sound like arse.

I love the tone of the double muff, especially as a low gain overdrive, but it's absolutely pointless because it sounds crap with a buffer before it and, weirdly, crap with anything after it too! It's truly unique... 

I hope a boutique builder can fix the circuit in some way, and make a double muff with two footswitches as it'd be a great pedal. But it just hates anything else... 
    funny, I never had any such problems with mine? My only criticism of the double is that the second miff circuit should have been foot switchable but other than that I loved mine
    How very rock and roll
  • It's worth pointing out that not only are the Nano Muffs and Double muffs the fussiest pedals ever to have existed, they also sound like arse.

funny, I never had any such problems with mine? My only criticism of the double is that the second miff circuit should have been foot switchable but other than that I loved mine

Hmm, I just dug it out again and yeah, on it's own it's really nice. But in a chain it's bloody rubbish, weak, thin, anaemic... :(

It is a shame because it's a very addictive pedal by itself. So much so, I reckon I would be genuinely happy with it - is that second circuit was footswitchable especially. Easy for clean, slightly responsive overdrive and all out filth... 

Maybe mine is a duff...? Idk. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72306
    ThePrettyDamned said:

Hmm, I just dug it out again and yeah, on it's own it's really nice. But in a chain it's bloody rubbish, weak, thin, anaemic... :(

It is a shame because it's a very addictive pedal by itself. So much so, I reckon I would be genuinely happy with it - is that second circuit was footswitchable especially. Easy for clean, slightly responsive overdrive and all out filth... 

No, mine was exactly the same. The only pedal I've ever come across which didn't sound good with a buffer *after* it, as well as sounding terrible with one before it.

A shame because as you say, it sounded fabulous on its own - at least into a valve amp, I never tried it with solid-state as far as I remember.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

No, mine was exactly the same. The only pedal I've ever come across which didn't sound good with a buffer *after* it, as well as sounding terrible with one before it.

A shame because as you say, it sounded fabulous on its own - at least into a valve amp, I never tried it with solid-state as far as I remember.

I first used it into the clean channel of the bandit and it was fab. Really loved it. Played with it all day today on breaks. Sadly back in the box as it won't play nice with the rest... 
  • benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1396
    ICBM said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

How would/could something AFTER the pedal affect it? Not trolling, genuinely interested and would love to know the scientific/electrical reason!

i don't own my DM anymore to test it and you guys have got me questioning my own sanity now. I'm 99% certain I had it on a pedalboard with others for at least a short while!
    How very rock and roll
  • ICBM said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

How would/could something AFTER the pedal affect it? Not trolling, genuinely interested and would love to know the scientific/electrical reason!

i don't own my DM anymore to test it and you guys have got me questioning my own sanity now. I'm 99% certain I had it on a pedalboard with others for at least a short while!

I'd be interested to know, too, as I've never experienced it before! It really is a bit weird. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72306
    benmurray85 said:

Me too!

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is that it needs the capacitance of a long cable after it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein