NGD - Yamaha 611VFM - now arrived!

What's Hot
VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
edited May 2017 in Guitar
For those of you following various threads on my search for an inexpensive but pro-standard guitar for gigging/reheasals, you'll know I was very impressed with the Yamaha 611 when I went to Yamaha Music a few weeks back.  

And yup, the 'incoming' is a Yamaha Pacifica 611VFM in translucent black that comes with a padded gig bag too.  Bought from a very nice guy on EBay,who I've now spoken with ...& discovered he's a Fretboarder too!  Being sent to me over the weekend and I should get sometime next week.  The bridge had been tightened down, but the guy is going to re-set it up floating for me. 

So here's a funny thing - I'm also playing potential 'Matchmaker'!   He was selling it because he prefers hardtails - so I've pointed him to a 611HFM that I know is for sale on here by another Fretboarder, (and that I was sorely tempted by for myself!) - so maybe I can get these guys together too!  

Here's a pic from the EBay ad:

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
0reaction image LOL 11reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• tony99tony99 Frets: 7076
    Ooh this could be the first fretboard wedding!
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    Nice!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DanjiDanji Frets: 225
    That's gorge!!! 
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    edited May 2017

Lovely. I had one but non trem when they first came out and have also had a 311. They are good guitars with great build quality and sound. The P90 sounds very good. The thing that impressed me the most was the cut, fit and finish of the nut, it was perfect (not always the case on some more expensive US guitars). The neck ifeels slinky but is a little skinny. The locking tuners are great.

The only criticism I can level is the blade switch and controls feel a little, well, far east factory build, compared to the solid "clunk" of a US Tele or Strat switch, but they work fine.

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929

Have a listen to this demo of a 611 through a THR10X, I think it sounds outstanding:

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Looks more blue than black to me.
    Very nice whatever colour.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    Sassafras said:
    Looks more blue than black to me.
    Very nice whatever colour.
    I always thought so too from the pics, but when I saw one at Yamaha Music, it was definitely black.  Must be the way it photographs. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    edited May 2017
    Well, my 611VFM has been re-set up with a floating bridge and posted - the tracker site says its due for collection today and that I should receive it no later than by 16/5.  Really looking forward to putting this puppy through its paces with my own gear!

Now, with regards to the trem, from playing it in-store it is stiffer and does lack the feel of eg my PRS or Strat.  I would like to make it more sensitive to subtle touches.  

I think I read on FB that this is an easy fix by changing the springs to a slightly longer length (did I remember that right?).  
    If anyone has a 611 and can give me a steer here on what length/type of springs I should get, and where I can get these from, please c'mon back!

Cheers

Rich  
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    Voxman said:
    Yamaha Pacifica 611VFM   
    As a long-standing Pacifica fan, I'm pretty sure that stands for "value for money". :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2017
    DLM said:
    Voxman said:
    Yamaha Pacifica 611VFM   
    As a long-standing Pacifica fan, I'm pretty sure that stands for "value for money".
    This is the first Pacifica I've actually liked because of the tonal versatility of the SD h/b & P90 combination, quality hardware, great build quality, comfortable playability, and I also think the finish with the matching headstock is very good.  And as you say, its tremendous 'bang for buck' that punches well above its weight in that price range.  The idea is that rather than always taking out my more expensive guitars, I can use a single guitar for rehearsals and possibly even gigging and not lose too much sleep if it got the odd knock or was stolen, and I could even leave it in my car boot if I needed to (something I don't want to risk with other guitars).   
  • These things are awesome. Great looking too, hope you get on well with it! 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Bloody lovely !!!!

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1199
    Love that colour combination - the slate blue against the red tortoiseshell looks killer. Fine GAS sir!

Have a listen to this demo of a 611 through a THR10X, I think it sounds outstanding:

Sounded great, and what great playing too! 
    Basher said:
    Love that colour combination - the slate blue against the red tortoiseshell looks killer. Fine GAS sir!
    If t looks like that when it comes I'll be delighted - its odd that when I saw the Translucent Black finish in store it was definitely black with no 'slate blueness' - but maybe it was just a lighting thing.  Anyway, my 611 is on its way and should arrive Monday (unless I'm lucky and they do Saturday deliveries) so I'll let you know.  Really looking forward to seeing & playing it!  :)
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2014
    Had a 611 hardtail that I bought from @cbilly22 (I think?) that was a superb guitar. GAS moved it on but I'd definitely have it back again...

You'll love it. Incredible guitars and the pickups are excellent.
    edited May 2017
    Chuffola said:
    Had a 611 hardtail that I bought from @cbilly22 (I think?) that was a superb guitar. GAS moved it on but I'd definitely have it back again...

You'll love it. Incredible guitars and the pickups are excellent.
    I thought so too, very impressed when I played it at Yamaha Music, which is why I bought it!
  • cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 360
    @Chuffola Yup, that was me. I ended up really missing that one, fantastic player I remember.
  • cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 360

@Voxman I'm actually excited for you :)

edited May 2017
    cbilly22 said:

@Voxman I'm actually excited for you

lol - I'm even hoping it might come today (although it probably won't)