0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7104
    Wouldn't mind one of these actually.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    edited May 2017
    YEAHHHH...IT'S HERE!!   3

Just came - got to unpack it and I'll report back once I've had a chance to check it over 7 have a play! Might have to be after the footie now! 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    edited May 2017
    The Pacifica arrived safely today.  Superbly packaged-took me over 10 minutes to get to the guitar!! lol  Super condition - only problem is that the trem set-up is way off & sadly all over the place and doesn't even remotely return to the right pitch - right now its simply unplayable with any movement of the trem.  I'll have a look at it this evening and see what I can sort out, just a bit of a nuisance as I was hoping to just plug in and play.  The Fender bag it came with is OK for now but I might get a better gig-bag or even a hard case for it.  

Can anyone please point me to any good videos that show how to set up the trem on a Pacifica 611?
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1263
    Voxman said:

Can anyone please point me to any good videos that show how to set up the trem on a Pacifica 611?
    Not specifically for the Yamaha but FruduaTV on YT has some excellent vintage strat style trem setup videos.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Voxman said:

Just came - got to unpack it and I'll report back once I've had a chance to check it over 7 have a play! Might have to be after the footie now! 
    Women's cup final??
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

usedtobe said:
    Voxman said:

Women's cup final??
    Way Arsenal have thrown away games this season they are not worthy of being compared to a womens team! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Voxman said:

Not specifically for the Yamaha but FruduaTV on YT has some excellent vintage strat style trem setup videos.
    Used that vid to set up my Strat that has a 2 point trem...don't know if this would work for the 611 bridge though. 
    He has several vids on six-screw trems as well.
    He has several vids on six-screw trems as well.
    Thanks, I know..but the 611 trem is a bit weird with 5 screws so not quite sure which is the one to use.
    ???? Certainly looks like six in the picture.  The basic principle is to set the middle 4 up a bit higher (loose) so it operates like a two-point on the outer two screws.
  • ???? Certainly looks like six in the picture.  The basic principle is to set the middle 4 up a bit higher (loose) so it operates like a two-point on the outer two screws.

I've heard not to do this... 

Bleh! @FelineGuitars @ICBM bat symbol is going up! 

Is it definitely the trem that's the problem or are the strings getting stuck in the nut? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Def trem! 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72247
    Check for binding between the underside of the bridge and the top of the guitar. It's common to tighten the pivot screws too much so this happens.

I never raise the middle four screws, it has no benefit provided they're all set correctly.

Also check nothing is touching the cavity walls at the back.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11570
    tFB Trader
    What string gauge and how many springs on tremolo?
    often return to pitch issues are because of the prings being too compressed at the zero point.
    With 9s you will find only 2 springs stretched out more will work better than 3 springs 
    Going heavier on the strings will mean 3 strings will be needed but they should still be stretched at the zero point for the system to work well.
    It can often be that trying different brands of springs is needed to get the perfect balance . I really like the Schaller springs that come with their Floyd Rose systems.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

What string gauge and how many springs on tremolo?

Its come strung with 10's although I normally play 9's. 3-springs

ICBM said:
    Check for binding between the underside of the bridge and the top of the guitar. It's common to tighten the pivot screws too much so this happens.

I never raise the middle four screws, it has no benefit provided they're all set correctly.

Also check nothing is touching the cavity walls at the back.
    When you say 'binding' sorry to be thick, but can you clarify exactly what you mean & what I'm looking for/testing?
    edited May 2017
    I thought it might be helpful to show how the trem is currently set-up. The bridge/trem is a Wilkinson VS50-6 tremolo.  I can't find a set-up video that matches this type of Wilkinson trem, so I have no idea how it should be positioned. 

Should the trem be set-up such that it's level rather than dipping forward towards the pick-ups?

The other minor point is the (push-pull) tone knob. The resistance when turning is much less than the volume ie turns a bit too easily.  Can this be tightened up a bit?

Trem on 611 photo IMG_20170514_243827052_zpsynnjtbhujpg

611 bridge photo IMG_20170514_245316478_zpshp7xaaxcjpg

edited May 2017
    ???? Certainly looks like six in the picture.  The basic principle is to set the middle 4 up a bit higher (loose) so it operates like a two-point on the outer two screws.

I've heard not to do this... 

Bleh! @FelineGuitars @ICBM bat symbol is going up! 

Is it definitely the trem that's the problem or are the strings getting stuck in the nut? 
    OK guys, an update - first, it is 6 screws - it initially looked like one was different, but just the angle I was looking at it.  

And @ThePrettyDamned I think you were spot on mate, thank you.  I put graphite in the nut slots and its now returning to pitch much, much better and it's now playable with the trem.  I'd still like to learn how to set this type of trem unit up perfectly though.

The other good thing is that my concerns re lack of trem sensitivity were ill founded.  I don't know if the previous owner did anything to it, but it's way more touch sensitive than the one I played in store, and I'm very happy with its feel - it's certainly as sensitive as I need it to be (not unlike my Strat) so there's no need for me to change the springs.  

The gig bag it came with isn't the best, but will do for now.  I'd like to find a hard case for it - if anyone knows of anything going cheap that will fit, please give me a shout!  Best value I've found so far is £39.99 from Gear4Music (black) or £44.99 (tweed).

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9657
    edited May 2017
    Voxman said:
    The gig bag it came with isn't the best, but will do for now.  I'd like to find a hard case for it - if anyone knows of anything going cheap that will fit, please give me a shout!  Best value I've found so far is £39.99 from Gear4Music (black) or £44.99 (tweed).
    Be aware, when  buying a hard case that the Pacifica is somewhat larger​ than a Strat.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    HAL9000 said:
    Voxman said:
    Be aware, when  buying a hard case that the Pacifica is somewhat larger​ than a Strat.
    What I might do anyway is to put the 611 in the Hiscox case I use for my '69 Strat (tried it & it fits) and get a tweed case for the '69 which stays at home anyway.