What kind of EQ does the Roland Cube amps have?

What's Hot
bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723

Guys I'm wondering what kind of EQ the Cube amps have i.e. is it active or passive? 

I bought myself a Roland Cube 10GX and am currently running my Zoom G3X through it and am trying to get as natural an EQ curve as possible.  I think the unit works better through the front end of the amp, rather than the aux in jack at the back.

@ICBM maybe knows?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Got the answer - 12 o clock is neutral and doesn't cut or boost anything as per Roland.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72259
    No idea - but 'neutral' on a guitar amp can be very misleading. I'm sure that Roland are correct if they say that all at 12 o'clock is neutral... *for the tone stack*. That does not in any way mean that the EQ of what comes out of the speaker is anything like neutral - in fact, for any guitar amp it wont even be close, not least because the speaker is very much not neutral.

A lot of people make that mistake when using the 'tone stack calculator' and thinking that you need to set the mid up full and the bass and treble fully off for a 'neutral' sound - no you don't. The reason guitar amps have an inherently scooped EQ normally is exactly to compensate for the all-mid response of a typical guitar speaker. The tone stack of something like a Fender is purposely designed to sound fairly neutral with all the controls at 12 o'clock, even though that's actually a mid cut.

Basically just don't worry about it, and set the EQ how it sounds good to you.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    ICBM said:
    No idea - but 'neutral' on a guitar amp can be very misleading. I'm sure that Roland are correct if they say that all at 12 o'clock is neutral... *for the tone stack*. That does not in any way mean that the EQ of what comes out of the speaker is anything like neutral - in fact, for any guitar amp it wont even be close, not least because the speaker is very much not neutral.

A lot of people make that mistake when using the 'tone stack calculator' and thinking that you need to set the mid up full and the bass and treble fully off for a 'neutral' sound - no you don't. The reason guitar amps have an inherently scooped EQ normally is exactly to compensate for the all-mid response of a typical guitar speaker. The tone stack of something like a Fender is purposely designed to sound fairly neutral with all the controls at 12 o'clock, even though that's actually a mid cut.

Basically just don't worry about it, and set the EQ how it sounds good to you.
    Thanks ICBM.  I set the treble at noon but have the bass off and mids around 10oclock.