Its big, its black, and it's from Oil City!

What's Hot
OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10264
in Made in the UK tFB Trader

One of the most successful pickups in our range ... yes, it surprised us too ... is our P90 'Void'. A super powered 21k single coil in Soapbar or Dogear configurations. We sell loads, and export a lot to Europe. Well, thanks to one of our european customers who asked if we could fit 21k into a humbucker sized P90 ... here's the Void HB!

It packs one hell of a wallop, thanks to twin, opposed alnico 8 magnets, and gives any amp input stage the fright of it's life. 

So now our super powered trio consist of the good old Void P90, the Void HB, and the H.E.L 22.5k humbucker (that features alnico 8 and twin ceramic magnets.
Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783
    You should call it the "Ecky Thump'.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10264
    tFB Trader
    Lol ... with the number that are going to Scandinavia and the Nordic countries I'm wondering if they've found a way to link em up and power their heating from repeated E power chords!
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3493
    Alright Ash, 

Whatever happened to your Supro Vista Tone repro? 
    tFB Trader
    I have a pair of them sat on my desk right now :-)

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3493
    Excellent.  I hope to see them on your website at sometime soon! 
    tFB Trader
    I hope so too :-) 

The difficult thing about being a small pickup maker is that I have limited resources to throw at each project, so while something may well be fascinating, if it won't sell in large numbers it must wait in the queue to be developed.
    The sad fact is that I can sell twenty PAF style pickups, or vintage spec Tele or Strat units while I wait for even one of my more 'quirky' designs to clear off the shelves. 
    My customers have told me by what they want, what want is what they order ... and at the moment that is leaning towards the high output and heavy metal end of things ... especially for export. Were I a big manufacturer I could assign a couple of guys to a project and let them bring it to fruition ... sadly I don't have that luxury.
    Many semi-hobby winders who make pickups as a sideline (a new one seems to pop up every day) can produce non profit making lines and sell them at bargain basement prices.  They don't have the economic pressure of paying the rent and living expenses solely from winding pickups. I made the choice to be fully professional, so I'm blown by all the winds of demand. But then again I have no distractions to disrupt my focus.

The good news is that I'm re-structuring my pickup lineup and designing a new website for them at the moment (yes I do the web design too), and many of the lines that have been waiting in the wings will be centre stage. Some things that sell very rarely will be pure 'custom shop' products.
    I've defied the odds and built OCP up over the last five years to the point where last month my little corner post office took parcels through bearing our familiar logo to: China, the US, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Germany, France and even Latvia! However I have only limited resources and time ... but be assured ... the best is yet to come!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1377
    I hope so too :-) 

The difficult thing about being a small pickup maker is that I have limited resources to throw at each project, so while something may well be fascinating, if it won't sell in large numbers it must wait in the queue to be developed.
    The sad fact is that I can sell twenty PAF style pickups, or vintage spec Tele or Strat units while I wait for even one of my more 'quirky' designs to clear off the shelves. 
    My customers have told me by what they want, what want is what they order ... and at the moment that is leaning towards the high output and heavy metal end of things ... especially for export. Were I a big manufacturer I could assign a couple of guys to a project and let them bring it to fruition ... sadly I don't have that luxury.
    Many semi-hobby winders who make pickups as a sideline (a new one seems to pop up every day) can produce non profit making lines and sell them at bargain basement prices.  They don't have the economic pressure of paying the rent and living expenses solely from winding pickups. I made the choice to be fully professional, so I'm blown by all the winds of demand. But then again I have no distractions to disrupt my focus.

The good news is that I'm re-structuring my pickup lineup and designing a new website for them at the moment (yes I do the web design too), and many of the lines that have been waiting in the wings will be centre stage. Some things that sell very rarely will be pure 'custom shop' products.
    I've defied the odds and built OCP up over the last five years to the point where last month my little corner post office took parcels through bearing our familiar logo to: China, the US, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Germany, France and even Latvia! However I have only limited resources and time ... but be assured ... the best is yet to come!

And more power to your elbow, or rather your Void pick ups! I am considering buying an old knacker just so I can buy some of your stuff!
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • metalemetale Frets: 57

Well, thanks to one of our european customers who asked if we could fit 21k into a humbucker sized P90 ...
    Crazy people, I tell ya!...