Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Reviews always sink to lowest denominator

What's Hot
57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
edited February 2014 in Amps
I get fed up when reading reviews of anything that go on to say - it probably won't satisfy metal fans...

FCUK Metal Fans - have you ever read a review of 'Metal' gear that said - it probably won't suit those that like a a nice sounding clean tone and classic rock vibes...??
<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Comments

• EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    It's a nice way of saying "Metal players: This thing isn't FOR you!"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The good news is that it pre-empts the obvious 'Is this good for M3T4Lz' questions.

ANYTHING that stops that kind of question is good, IMO.

Anything.
  • I hate it, too.  Metalheads won't ever, EVER look at a blues junior.  Not just because it's a shite sounding amp, but because we occasionally show signs of common sense.  Occasionally.

That said, someone here (or from MR?) uses a 60 watt Fender with a few pedals for proper modern metal - because actually, it has tons of clean headroom, a big cab, plenty of lows, clear highs and a nice notch in the mids.  They are basically the perfect qualities for a general, modern metal amp (though the low - medium gain 'djent' sound is a bit harder to get without the right amp it seems). 
  • 57Deluxe said:
    it probably won't satisfy metal fans...
    Maybe they just mean that it's not available in black?! 
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • IslandapeIslandape Frets: 64
    edited February 2014
    It's not just music gear reviews though is it?  I mean, how many times do car magazines review a humble shopping trolly and make asinine comments about it not being "a driver's car"?  No sh*t Sherlock, a (for example) Yaris hybrid isn't a tool for the Nürbergring, but then again, what sort of tool is ever going buy a Yaris as a track day special?

I imagine the US gun magazines are similar "This air rifle is crap for drive by shootings" and What Genocide Magazine frequently slates fireworks as lacking punch...
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17571
    tFB Trader
    57Deluxe said:
    FCUK Metal Fans - have you ever read a review of 'Metal' gear that said - it probably won't suit those that like a a nice sounding clean tone and classic rock vibes...??
    Most pointy or superstrat reviews usually mention if they can be used for genres other than T3H BR00T4LZ. 
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    Lets be fair, alot of magazines have been wheeling out the same old blues crap day in, day out so I doubt an metallers really going to read most guitar magazines (unless its Guitar World, then its all about teh djentz
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6095
    edited February 2014
    I hate it, too.  Metalheads won't ever, EVER look at a blues junior.  Not just because it's a shite sounding amp, but because we occasionally show signs of common sense.  Occasionally.
      I'll have you know my little blues junior was  very upset with that remark. Poor thing's now sobbing in the corner... they're sensitive little things you know ...shame on you 
    :|
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • equalsql said:
    I hate it, too.  Metalheads won't ever, EVER look at a blues junior.  Not just because it's a shite sounding amp, but because we occasionally show signs of common sense.  Occasionally.
      I'll have you know my little blues junior was  very upset with that remark. Poor thing's now sobbing in the corner... they're sensitive little things you know ...shame on you 
    It's okay, I love pink superstrats and solid state distortion.  

:)
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    FUCK DA FENDA!
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    ... except the EVH5150III which is brilliant.
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    It's because reviewers and sub-editors  are contractually obliged to add the tired, shitty comments at the bottom of every review saying "Good for..."/ "Bad for..." which means they often end up writing shite to fill space.

The single most inane example of this came from a certain scribe who shall remain nameless who, in a review of a 60's reissue Telecaster, said under the heading "Bad for..." that "people wanting a tremolo equipped guitar should look elsewhere". 

That bloke doesn't deserve a gig writing parking tickets, let alone for a national magazine.  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6095
    equalsql said:

Well that's OK then . I told it that and after a cup of tea and a jammy-dodger it seems much happier.
    Although it is still humming 'Nobody Knows the Trouble I've Seen" when I've got my back turned...oh bless.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • The humble tube screamer probably isn't suitable for metal, yet still manages to be on every metal record ever (possible exaggeration).
  • I object to the idea that us metal fans don't like any other type of music or gear. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2926
    I object to the idea that us metal fans don't like any other type of music or gear. 
    And being referred to as "the lowest denominator".
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2346
    ^ +1 to both of you. I'm more of a hard rock fan than metal, and that kind of talk annoys even me.
    57Deluxe said:
    I get fed up when reading reviews of anything that go on to say - it probably won't satisfy metal fans...

Yeah, pretty much every one I've read ever.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 557
    edited February 2014
    equalsql said:
    equalsql said:

Well that's OK then . I told it that and after a cup of tea and a jammy-dodger it seems much happier.
    Although it is still humming 'Nobody Knows the Trouble I've Seen" when I've got my back turned...oh bless.

Amps with people personalities I like it, perhaps we could start a thread.

Mine would probably say. "but why would you play with that thr when you can warm the room with my valves?" 

Back on topic, its the 'everything has 3.5 to 4.5 stars' that bugs me.

• 57Deluxe said:

Yes. Many, many times.

Isn't it kind of the whole point of a review to tell you what a particular piece of gear is suitable for?!

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9687
    edited February 2014
    Word choices apart in the OP, i know generally what you mean and it annoys me too. For the most part for me a dislike of stating the obvious - this THR10 wont compete with a Marshall Stack... or this single knob fuzz is not the most versatile pedal... Chances are if you're looking at something called a Mighty Massive Metal Master Muff or a Muchos Mojo Mystic Bluesey Overdrive you're likely in the market for just that kind of thing. I dont think id ever get so confused id buy a Metal Muff instead of a clean boost because a review didn't state they weren't for a similar purpose?
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic