NPD: Meris Ottobit jr

What's Hot
VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
Ohmygodohmygodohmygod. Ok, so I'd been trying to decide on a bitcrusher for a while, and got outbid on ebay a couple of times going for Iron Ether Frantabits...and then Pedals & Effects dropped the first demo for this baby back in January. I called off the search at that point. I finally got mine today, and it's ridiculous. The bit crushing is really only a small element of the overall package, but it's so clean and quiet and exactly what I needed. Beyond that the filter is amazing, and is definitely something you want an expression pedal for. From the demos I'd gotten a grasp of the sequencer, but hadn't realised you can sequence pitch, crushiness or filter settings. It's ridiculous. Oh, AND it glitches! It's roughly the same size as a Source Audio Nemesis, and they look lovely next to each other on my board. I haven't even tried it with other pedals yet, so there's endless silliness ahead. Love it.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7162
    I want the Mercury 7 more than I want my left bollock. 
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    I want the Mercury 7 more than I want my left bollock. 
    Inspired by blade runner? Must be cool.

I'd been looking at the otto bit jr too. Interesting pedals. Need a full report @VJIves ,with clips :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1508
    Niiiiice one. First time I saw a demo of this I knew I wanted one. It's a bit pricy and I don't think I'd use it much in a creative sense but dammit I want.
  • molokaiomolokaio Frets: 10
    Meris aren't cheap, yep. They  cost like a strymon But offer so much more pedal. I was thinking the same about the ottobit, "pretty cool, but I'll use it just a few times". Damn me I haven't turned it off yet. It offers so many shades of crushing that give such a nice mood to my post rock lines. Adding a reverse reverb from the empress rev is addictive. Sequencing is rad. 
    Even just a slight sample rate reduction and a touch of filter and you get a melanchonic sound for quiet arpeggios.
    This pedal shows its bitcrushing is Made especially for guitar. You can get nice ballsy fuzz too.
    Well, of course the frequency of its use depends on what kind of music you play.
    Sorry if I sound like a fanboi, But man I'm loving it so much.
  • VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    I just ran a drum machine through mine for the first time, and was running that into an MWFX Judder. Bliss, especially using the tap tempo to line the snare hits with the pitch sequencer. I keep finding awesome new tricks.
    I may well be ordering the Mercury 7 this week :O
  • ArtsutanovArtsutanov Frets: 61
    I received my Ottobit jr 2 weeks ago, but haven't had time to use it (daddy day care/constantly tired) 
    But I'm also waiting on the MPC Live to drop, so I might just wait a while longer and test them together.

Really excited about the possibilities of the Ottobit Jr. 
    I kinda want both. My only fear with the ottobit as cool as it sounds, is that you'd only really be able to use on one or two songs. Expensive pedal for a niche sound. 

That's not to say I won't :D
  • colourofsoundcolourofsound Frets: 395
    I've had a bit of an obsession with Delays that have arpeggiated modulation recently (Bitquest!, 80Tape Limbo, Way Huge Supa Puss' Chase Mode) but often have trouble controlling it.

I was thinking, what if you got a delay that had an effects loops (Like a DMM or the upcoming Rubberneck) and put the Ottobit Jr in the effects loop? You could have bitcrushed, sequenced delays. That you could control. And are recallable by MIDI.

Oh buddy!
    I've had a bit of an obsession with Delays that have arpeggiated modulation recently (Bitquest!, 80Tape Limbo, Way Huge Supa Puss' Chase Mode) but often have trouble controlling it.

I was thinking, what if you got a delay that had an effects loops (Like a DMM or the upcoming Rubberneck) and put the Ottobit Jr in the effects loop? You could have bitcrushed, sequenced delays. That you could control. And are recallable by MIDI.

Oh buddy!
    I tried that approach with an ehx tt1100 it wasn't as good as I'd imagined. I think a lot depends on the way the loop is implemented.

Oh buddy!
    I tried that approach with an ehx tt1100 it wasn't as good as I'd imagined. I think a lot depends on the way the loop is implemented.
    Would be interesting on the Moog. I'd never thought of that 

Oh buddy!
    Yup, I 've tried it on the moog too. You need an insert cable, and there were noise issues, but it's been a long time since I tried. My biggest thing was trying to find something that didn't make the delay sound like a messy mush.

Now I have some more interesting pedals, I ought to try again. 

Oh buddy!
    Yup, I 've tried it on the moog too. You need an insert cable, and there were noise issues, but it's been a long time since I tried. My biggest thing was trying to find something that didn't make the delay sound like a messy mush.

Now I have some more interesting pedals, I ought to try again. 
    Yeah, it's TRS isn't it? How's that work? One jack one end and two the other ?
    @GavRichList Yes exactly, it's a Y cable. 
    Stereo TRS Jack to 2x Mono TS Jacks.
    Hmmm, interesting. I immediately want the MF101 to put into the insert!  
    Yes. I tried that and it had good results.
    But most fun mf101 related thing to do is as a self oscollating tone generator.. :)
  • jackiojackio Frets: 132
    It's a bump fo sho...anyone still got their Otobit Jr? Got anything to say about it?

Thanks
  • VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    If you can justify the price tag, I don't think there's a better bitcrusher out there.
  • jackiojackio Frets: 132
    Ok that's helpful. I enjoyed finding your OP on search ;)

This and a delay? Any good?
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7777

I've got one, and love it.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister