Help with pedal choice...

What's Hot
JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 392
Trying to decide between an RYRA Klone, Timmy, Thorpy p/keeper as a main drive for my Princeton type amp. Can't test 'em as too far from shops.
All great but buying to keep this time....thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    What sounds are you after?
  • JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 392
    Like open, amp like drive - considered Bogner Ia Grange pedal. Probably mid gain max. 

• hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    Timmy is good if you want to preserve the amp's tonal characteristics. The Peacekeeper is stunning IMO. Very versatile and stacks well with pedals before or after it. Never played a Klone.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    I'd take the RYRA from that lot personally, especially into a Princeton.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5258
    /\ have to agree with @simonk had the Timmy and the peacekeeper, would go with the RYRA,myself
    Thanks...heart says RYRA 
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6131
    tFB Trader
    Jon, as mentioned. I have a Princeton. I have a KLONE too. I am biased so please take what i say with a pinch of salt. The Ryra is  a copy of a circuit that is renowned for being a one trick pony (excuse the pun) Set to lightly boost it imparts a mids boost to your drive signal. Its a nice effect, if you want it though please look at the Klon KTR from the original designer.

As for the Peacekeeper it does more than the KLONEs. I purposely designed it to give you more control of your EQ so that it can be much more than a one trick pony. Want scooped mids? its there, want a mid hump? gotcha. want a fat smooth drive?you are covered... you get the idea. It is an original circuit, which is why it can have this versatility. Perfect imho for the Princeton or whatever amp you want to run it into.

Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    I've had the RYRA and Peacekeeper and at the moment have the Bogner La Grange, if you want to colour your sound (the Bogner is a plexi style pedal) then the Bogner is a great choice but if you want a boost without colouring your sound I'd take the Peacekeeper, it's much more versatile than the RYRA. You won't go wrong with either but the tweakability of the Peacekeeper wins it for me, wish I'd never sold mine.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    edited May 2017
    Timmy is a bit too transparent, klone too honky. I would buy a Thorpy gunshot, however if you set the bass on the princeton kinda high when clean then the peacekeeper will probably be best. 
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3243
    I'm more fond of the Gunshot for main drive (rather than Peacekeeper) into my 'fendery' amp!
  • builttospillbuilttospill Frets: 457
    I'm going to throw another drive into the mix, but have you tried a Zvex Double Rock? It's basically two Box of Rocks and two Super Hard On circuits in one enclosure, the sub switches are really useful too.
    I've got one that absolutely loves my Princeton RI, it stacks well with over drives, works with the guitar volume and works lovely at low amp levels, it also loves my single coil and humbucker based guitars. it's never thin or fizzy like some drives I've tried with my amp, lovely Marshall JTM45 based tones. It can do your nice light crunch, with both BOR's cascading you can get a nice full on fat distortion. I've got a RYRA also which I use as a clean boost and it's brilliant.
    Thanks to all....great advice on circuits especially. Think Peacekeeper is a strong shout...and original too!
    Will let you know what I decide.
    Jon
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    JonHosker said:
    Thanks to all....great advice on circuits especially. Think Peacekeeper is a strong shout...and original too!
    Will let you know what I decide.
    Jon
    Snap it up! http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/103308/fs-thorpyfx-peacekeeper-low-gain-overdrive-wampler-euphoria-overdrive#latest
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Peacekeeper for me too
    the EQ is great
    it really is like another amp channel