Extension cables

What's Hot
ricorico Frets: 1220
Alright so we've got some outdoor gigs coming up and I'm feeling like I need a decent extension cable possibly with a circuit breaker. Do you have any recommendations before I stroll into Homebase or B&Q?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1624

Check out CPC first. They have diss strips of decent quality and at reasonable prices  and they have some really top quality ones that are still good monies. N.B. most need you to make up the extension, i.e. cable and plug but that at least means you can set your own lengths. They are also mostly WITHOUT filters or 'surge protectors' so you are not paying for things that are of dubious use.

By 'breakers' I guess you mean RCD earth leakage trips? (hope so!) Yes get some. CPC do one that is inline with the cable so you can't forget it or bypass it.

Note, I believe some venues now insist on a current PAT certificate? If so, diss strips definitely come into that requirement so find a tame lekky's shop and do a bulk testing deal!

In fact, if a band is working a lot and making decent money they could invest in a basic PAT tester?

Really THE vital test is that the earth wire is continuous and of low resistance.

Dave.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Jusfort...Even if you don't want the bother of mail order go to an electrical wholesaler, Newey&Erye, Screwfix etc.

Dave.

• olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    I've used these at events in the past, powering Laptops and Printers.

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5434688
    I've used these at events in the past, powering Laptops and Printers.

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/543468

Yes, looks good Ollie' but a cut above the £9.99 strips from Homebase I think the OP was on about?

Dave.

• clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Ok, I'll ask... Dave, what's a diss strip?
    clarkefan said:
    Ok, I'll ask... Dave, what's a diss strip?

Oh! Sloppy moi! 'Distribution' strip.

Dave.

• HoofHoof Frets: 491
    edited May 2017
    I wouldn't just buy your own, as you might find yourself arguing with band members about who's using all the sockets at the power source. Remember you may be a bit limited in the amount of outlets where you're plugging your extensions into.

I'd go for 4 of these as a BAND purchase:
    http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-elec/2200-4-25m/metal-framed-cable-drum-9-4x-13a/dp/PL09487?mckv=szZPc84Lx_dc|pcrid|72935747417|kword||match||plid||pid|PL09487&CMP=KNC-GUK-CPC-GEN-SHOPPING-PRO_ELEC-Electrical-PL09487

That way, you can run all the power neatly from its indoor source all the way to the stage and then just set up as you normally would at an indoor venue as if they were your wall outlets. No joins halfway between the venue and the stage. That's asking for trouble.

I'd be tempted to use an RCD on these too.

Hoof: Farnell's site is down, any chance of another link?

Dave.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72228
    Ideally you need *one* heavy-duty long extension cable like that, and several extra 4-gang strips. Assuming the band doesn't have a total current draw of more than 13A, it's safest to run everything from a single wall socket - that way you can't get the hazard of some outlets on stage being live and some earthed, if there's a fault at the supply end. Then distribute the power in a 'tree' scheme with four 4-gangs all plugged into that, rather than daisy-chained. If you need more than 16 outlets you can do the same again, but still if possible avoid any more daisy-chaining than necessary.

Also remember to always unwind the cable reel fully before use… I used to have a melted one to demonstrate why, from a band who didn't.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    @ICBM we have two 50w valve amps, one bass amp of indeterminate wattage, two small pedal boards, PA, digital mixing desk, audient interface, ADAT channel strip and a MacBook Pro and maybe a couple of foldback monitors. 

We are recording the gig for promo stuff. 

That all ok off one heavy duty reel and multiple strips?  
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72228
    rico said:
    @ICBM we have two 50w valve amps, one bass amp of indeterminate wattage, two small pedal boards, PA, digital mixing desk, audient interface, ADAT channel strip and a MacBook Pro and maybe a couple of foldback monitors. 

We are recording the gig for promo stuff. 

That all ok off one heavy duty reel and multiple strips?  
    Yes, should be fine unless the PA is absolutely massive.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein