What do we think of this then?

What's Hot
d8md8m Frets: 2434
EHX's take on a tubescreamer.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Probably just another tubescreamer.  As in, they mostly sound pretty much the same unless modded.  

Shame, I love EHX because they come up with whacky effects as well as original but usable stuff (germanium 4 Muff, anyone?).

I use a modded tubescreamer myself (route 66) but only because it's convenient (I love the compressor on it as it can be set to not compress).  If not, I'd get a digitech bad monkey.  Bulletproof build, emulated out and based on a DOD Juicebox I think, which seems to act similarly to a tubescreamer but do the job better, with nice tone controls.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    Fully agree with you on the bad monkey. Sure the gear snobs hate it but it's a really good piece of kit and at £25 it's a steal. Do you know of any bad monkey-esque Klon clones? I know EHX has the Soul Food but I'm curious what else is out there.

• d8m;157388" said:
    Fully agree with you on the bad monkey.

Sure the gear snobs hate it but it's a really good piece of kit and at £25 it's a steal.

Do you know of any bad monkey-esque Klon clones?

I know EHX has the Soul Food but I'm curious what else is out there.
    FretKing Klassic Drive is Klonesque I believe.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    edited February 2014
    Yeah the Fret King is a Klone. Not too many demos around online as yet though.

The EHX makes play on the fact that it's developed with advice from the Analogue man bloke. Others will know more than me if that's a USP.

It's getting to be quite a crowded market for these kinds of pedals.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7338
    edited February 2014
    This ERD sounds bleedin great" And following-on from my 'What Free Pedal?' post on here,  this is currently the leading candidate for my free Thomann 45 euro voucher spend... I was gonner blow my load on a Free Bad Monkey but this makes more sense (and better noises).

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I think the difference between Bad Monkey and ERD for my needs will be neglible.

Therefore I shall set my sights on a Soul Food.

Theres also the nano big muff Pi.........

Dam EHX giving me GAS all the time
    :))

• dindude said:
    I think that sounds really good. Saying all Tubescreamer types sound the same is like saying all Strats sound the same. That's why we're geeks, 'cause we can tell the difference.
    True, but this does sound like most tubescreamers out there.  I know that they can sound quite different (voltage starve gives you fuzz, or let sporky rip on one and it turns into a fuzzstortion madness box).  

But this does sound like a normal, regular tubescreamer to my ears.  
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    dindude said:
    I think that sounds really good. Saying all Tubescreamer types sound the same is like saying all Strats sound the same. That's why we're geeks, 'cause we can tell the difference.
    True, but this does sound like most tubescreamers out there.  I know that they can sound quite different (voltage starve gives you fuzz, or let sporky rip on one and it turns into a fuzzstortion madness box).  

But this does sound like a normal, regular tubescreamer to my ears.  
    Actually, you're probably spot on. Had a read on another forum that it is a very straight 808 clone. AnologMike was drafted in to help apparently, which seems strange if it's a straight clone, but it was more his intelligence on sourcing the best parts and he wrote on the forum (that Telecaster one) that it is definitely a straight up clone.

I thought it sounded like a very good Tubescreamer, so maybe original is best, not all are the same, the joyo one I tried was horrible.

My bad monkey has been on the fritz for a while.

Owing to me not taking that great care of it when moving house and dropping it down a flight of stairs twice.

Rather than just purchasing same again I've punted for an east river drive and will use the bad monkey for a series of modding experiments.