Bauhaus - She's in Parties guitar effects?

RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
edited May 2017 in FX
I liked some of Daniel Ash's playing with Bauhuas, the more commercial stuff I guess. Always liked the She's in Parties tone. Is this tone a chorus into a flanger? It sounds too modulated to be just flanger doesn't it?

My guess is that it's Tele, into chorus into his Carlsbro flanger into the front of his HH VS combo?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Sounds like a flanger with the rate up high but depth/resonance quite low, but placed in front of the drive. 

I do love love this time and I'm going to have to revisit my Goth past now!!!!!
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    I agree with professorben - I think it's just flanger, although I'd go with rate and depth up fairly high and resonance very low or off entirely, in the earlier part of the song - into the amp with the 'Valve Sound' on. Later in the song it sounds like the speed lower and the resonance higher. I don't hear the thicker sound of chorus.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    I've just dug out my Carlsbro flanger and you can indeed get that sound with the depth and colour up and the invert switch on. I remember getting a similar sound out of my long-gone JHS Digitec S1024 rack DDL with the phase inverted. The inverted phase is key to getting that ultra-scooped flanging sound.
    Great song, by the way!
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    edited May 2017
    Those Carlsbro flanger's a quite rare now aren't they? I always tried to get that sound with my old BOSS BF-2 but never got it right.

• lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    They do come up on eBay occasionally, and I'm sometimes tempted to get another, just in case.
    It's a weird beastie. It's huge, uses two PP3s, is positive ground,  has no DC jack (you wouldn't be able to daisy-chain it anyway) and uses a TDA1022 (IIRC) BBD chip, which is quite unusual.

Mine arrived not working, even though it was advertised as in working order. Luckily, it ended up being relatively straightforward to fix.

So despite being somewhat ungainly, I love the sounds it creates. None of my other flangers sound anything like it, certainly when the invert switch is engaged.

I'm not sure if any other flangers have a phase invert option, but that's what I'd look for if I wanted to nail that sound.
    The BF-2 is another favourite of mine. Opinion seems to be very much divided on this one, but being something of a post-punker, it does the vast majority of what I'm after. And if it's good enough for Robin Guthrie.........
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • I think there's a touch of overdrive, too, yeah?
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    I think there's a touch of overdrive, too, yeah?
    I believe that's the sound of an HH IC100S amplifier, not pedal overdrive or distortion, late 70s/Early 80s Tele through the Carlsbro Flanger into the amp.