Advice on value of 1985 E-series Squier Strat

What's Hot
robwrightrobwright Frets: 736
Impending divorce means I have to get rid of a load of gear to get some cash.

I have a mint condition 1985 Squier Strat (MIJ) with an E serial number. I know the JV series are worth silly money but does anyone know about the E-series? I was thinking £450-500 - am I way off?

Thanks in advance

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    I'd say £450 max, it depends on condition, but they usually go between £250 and £450.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14409
    Which exact variant? The 1985 E serial number covers a multitude of Standard, Popular and Power series models. Some are considered more desirable than others. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • marktheharpmarktheharp Frets: 89
    I had an 1984  E series Jap   squier tele. And nobody was interested. Dropped the price to 200. Still no takers. Ended up swapping for epi dot that had Seymour Duncan pickups.   
    Good luck 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    Easy way to tell if it's one of the "good ones" is to see if it has Gotoh machine heads, the cheaper E series had die cast tuners
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72227
    I would say £200 to £250.

Even JVs don't actually *sell* for more than around £500 now as far as I see, although people certainly try to ask for more.

Modern Squiers and particularly Mexican Fenders are good enough that it's removed the market for older Squiers to a large extent.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robwrightrobwright Frets: 736
    Might be a 'keeper' once more!