I don't understand JCM900's BAD REPUTATION - Marshall JCM800 Vs JCM900

What's Hot
siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935

Tis the title of the video - this man seems to make a good case for the much maligned 900...and he's using the dual reverb wun in this vid ie the most maligned of the 900 series. Sounds good to me and whilst different isn't worse as such! Watch n see....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SidNewtonSidNewton Frets: 660
    Years ago I owned a JCM 900 Dual Reverb which was pretty horrible. More recently I owned a JCM 800 2204 which was wonderful.
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    I've owned 2 50w dual reverts one was OK...could be a bit harsh and the 2nd one was for some reason miles nicer. Don't know why got the 2nd one used for a too good to pass up on price...didn't have it long bought it to sell on for a more normal price :lol: still preferred the dsl50 over both of em though. 
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    JCM900's are awesome amps. Id love to have one again. 
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2926
    A lot of hate comes from the fact that the drive doesn't come from the valves (or something like that; somebody with more of a clue will verify), and to the sorts who blindly think valves or bust, this makes them seem a bit shit.

I quite like them, but they definitely are a bit more 'modern' (in comparison to the 800s) in tone, and therefore aren't quite the same as the 800s. But then you'd be forgiven for thinking 'taste' is objective around here sometimes...
  • I really liked the sl-x I tried. 
  • HoofHoof Frets: 491
    I really liked the sl-x I tried. 
    I used one for a few years. Really liked the sound.
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    Bidley said:
    A lot of hate comes from the fact that the drive doesn't come from the valves (or something like that; somebody with more of a clue will verify), and to the sorts who blindly think valves or bust, this makes them seem a bit shit.

I quite like them, but they definitely are a bit more 'modern' (in comparison to the 800s) in tone, and therefore aren't quite the same as the 800s. But then you'd be forgiven for thinking 'taste' is objective around here sometimes...
    Diode clipping. Still valve clipping too though.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Totally different beast to a Dual Reverb tho. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2896
    edited May 2017
    Diode clipping doesn't bother me (silver/mini jubilee may well be my favourite marshall now) but I struggle to get a distorted tone I really like out of the 900DR. It still sounds like a Marshall but with reduced balls, that's the best way I can describe it.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    Every JCM900 I've played gave me the impression that something was broken, some people love them but not my cup of tea at all
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 658

I played through a JCM900 head for a few years at a rehearsal studio. Always enjoyed it, never knew they looked down upon until I read about it on here.

• I really liked the sl-x I tried. 

I've heard it's a bit different, but I've never compared. 

I doubt the Dual Reverb is truly an awful amp. I doubt, for example, it sounds as bad as a Blues junior. 

;) 

When my mate first saw Muse all those years ago (it was when showbiz was released!), it was pre-dual rec... They used DSL and jcm900s at full volume. 
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4999
    I've played a couple that soudbned great but a lot that sounded weak.

not that he is not using a proper 2203 for the comparison. 
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    I recall them getting a bad rep when they were still current production flagship amps, but then I've seen on a few forums that the 800's were  poorly regarded on their release. 

Some things just cant shake an association. 

Like the doctor dentist thing with PRS or That Telecasters are poo. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    You know the thing I've noticed... more than any other amp company, Marshall seem to have detractors left right and centre - but not for the company as such, just particular amp models.

Pretty much everyone agrees that no matter what 5150 variant you're getting, it'll have some good toanz.

But Marshall seem to inspire this whole 'I only like ONE MARSHALL AMP YOU MOTHERFUCKAAA!!!' attitude that you don't really see with other companies. Possibly Fender. Possibly.

I've liked the JCM800 and 900's that I've played. I even like the DSL, but 2 channels is too limiting for me. So the original JVM I liked, but the JVM Satch version was better.

Don't think I've ever played a shit Marshall tbh!
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBD said:
    You know the thing I've noticed... more than any other amp company, Marshall seem to have detractors left right and centre - but not for the company as such, just particular amp models.

Pretty much everyone agrees that no matter what 5150 variant you're getting, it'll have some good toanz.

But Marshall seem to inspire this whole 'I only like ONE MARSHALL AMP YOU MOTHERFUCKAAA!!!' attitude that you don't really see with other companies. Possibly Fender. Possibly.

I've liked the JCM800 and 900's that I've played. I even like the DSL, but 2 channels is too limiting for me. So the original JVM I liked, but the JVM Satch version was better.

Don't think I've ever played a shit Marshall tbh!

No jokes, try a tsl. 

The dsl has some pretty cool sounds in it. The tsl is actually such a buzzy, raspy piece of crap I wonder how they ever let it see the light of day. Apparently they catch fire even more than dsl amps, too. 

I didn't think the jcm900 I tried was bad tbh, I really liked it. I'd happily own one! Although I preferred the Laney lh50 anyway so... 

I also quite liked the mg series... Not the best loud ss amp but far from the worst, great sounds to be had with the gain at a reasonable level and a les paul. 

I'd take a 6505+ over any of them though ;) 
  • HoofHoof Frets: 491

I've heard it's a bit different, but I've never compared. 

It's got an extra valve agin stage so no diode clipping. It's quite a bit darker than any other other 900 I've tried, which is not a bad thing as I've tried dual reverbs that couple pierce your ears. It's single channel but has two gain knobs; one pre-amp volume and one sensitivity which give very different sounds when you crank them individually but the best results come from blending the two. 

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    Diode clipping isn't exactly a huge crime or problem- people put diode-based pedals in front of tube amps all the damn time.

I've had 800's and 900's- they are both fine depending on what you are trying to do.
    My main issue with Marshall is their reliability.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24265
    The SLX was very different from the Dual Reverb.

I remember trying them both in a shop and thinking the DR would be my choice for versatility.

not a chance. The SLX sounded far better
  • webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1031

Had a 100 watt Dual Reverb - it was in fact my first "real" valve amp - it was shite!

(much) Later I had a 50 watt SL-X and it was pretty good - all the rock tones and some old school metal - only got rid of it as I needed two channels, but I'd buy one again!