Complete loss of fullness/tone in Mesa

What's Hot
BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2218
Juat recently, I've experienced a noticeable amount of tone loss in my Mesa Rectoverb (the 25W combo), and I have no idea what it is. 

On the clean channel, there is some nasal honk in the treble, very thin sounding mids and what sounds like a drop in volume.

Thought one of the tubes had come loose, but my guitar tech housemate checked it and it was fine. Got the amp back upstairs and the problem had come back. I've tried different cables, with the pedalboard and straight into the front, I've tried both my Jazzmaster and JM Jag, but still this thin tone persists. 

It's driving me mental. Short of fucking it all off and getting a Kemper, what can I do? What could the problem be? GAAHHHH!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    Same thing happened with my LSS. Just sounded harsh and 'small'. A new set of valves (pre and power amp) sorted it....
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72295
    Try substituting a known good 12AX7 for each of the preamp valves in turn, or if you don't have a spare, swap them around - and if you don't have a spare EL84, swap the two round as well (not at the same time as the preamps). This might not fix it but it may show you where the problem is likely to be if the fault changes.

Another fault I've come across a few times on these modern Mesas is PCB jumper connectors making a poor contact.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    A few years back I had similar symptoms with my Laney Cub.  The tubes all checked out fine but turned out there was a faulty connection in one of the ceramic power-valve seats - might be worth checking these on your Mesa. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2218
    edited May 2017
    It's pretty irritating that, considering I haven't gigged/rehearsed with this amp or used it at a high volume, this has happened only months after buying it new. Wondering whether to take it to GuitarGuitar (seeing as it's still within warranty) or to an amp tech.
    I tried playing through it again today, no pedals just straight in the front, and it sounded alright to start with, but after a short while it started to sound very clangy in the treble and thinner, not very nice at all.
  • bwetsbwets Frets: 161
    You'd be crazy not to get them to sort it if it's under warranty!
    bwets said:
    You'd be crazy not to get them to sort it if it's under warranty!
    I definitely will. Repairs under warranty are dealt with by their Glasgow branch so take up to 2 weeks, which is a pain in the hoop.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6388
    If you do re-valve  - check the sockets-to-circuits connections - turned out my Nomad didn't have any shielding or earthing. When a pokey set of JJs in the pre-amp were added, I started getting all this interference and taxi dispatcher blah. Had to get it rewired.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 254
    Does it do it on both wattage settings? Probably nothing to do with it tbh (especially as yours is a recent one) but early ones had a problem with volume drop on 10w settings. 

Mine did it once and i thought i had the dreaded problem, but i switched some pre amp tubes around and it's not done it since.
    Taking it to GG in Camden now. Times like this I wish I could bloody drive.
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I can't imagine the trauma of you choosing a car to buy! ... ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Cabicular said:
    I can't imagine the trauma of you choosing a car to buy! ... ;)
    Definitely worth a LOL.
    Update: GG called to say there's nothing wrong with the amp and they've had it on all day.

Really??
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    Update: GG called to say there's nothing wrong with the amp and they've had it on all day.

Really??
    Sounds like a refund in vouchers might be on the cards....

Really??
    I'm going to bring along my Jazzmaster and see if it happens (was happening with both my guitars) but what I heard playing at home was definitely not the lovely clean tone I was getting when I first tried it.

It would be great if they did give me a voucher refund, but I did buy it 3 months ago...
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105

Really??
    I'm going to bring along my Jazzmaster and see if it happens (was happening with both my guitars) but what I heard playing at home was definitely not the lovely clean tone I was getting when I first tried it.

It would be great if they did give me a voucher refund, but I did buy it 3 months ago...
    So that makes it your longest owned gear right?  ;)

I hate intermittent faults, is it possible that something might have moved in transit? Maybe a dry solder joint or a stray wire???

" Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.

Really??

I hate intermittent faults, is it possible that something might have moved in transit? Maybe a dry solder joint or a stray wire???

First point: no, and ha-dee-bloody-hah

Second: possibly. I'll see when I go to GG on Sunday.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105

Really??

First point: no, and ha-dee-bloody-hah

Second: possibly. I'll see when I go to GG on Sunday.
    I'm only kidding, this is why I don't post NGD's. 

At my lowest ebb I traded 14 guitars in 12 months.....

you know I love you right Toast??
    xx
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2017
    Got the amp back from GG, took it home, plugged in with pedals. All sounding sweet again.