Mexican Telecaster in Red with Maple Neck

What's Hot
SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

I can't seem to get it out of my head.

I have a Mex Strat in red and a Gretsch in orange, neither of which I play as much as I should do, I mean I want to, but its just I'm a bit lazy and stuck in a playing rut.

Now I have a craving for a Mexican Tele in red with maple fingerboard.

Why?

Is this the perfect transition between the two guitars I already have, or am I just suffering from GAS?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    Even with Filter'Tron style pickups, a Telecaster is not a halfway point between the sounds of the two other guitar designs. 

A US-made La Cabronita Telecaster would be nicer to play on than either of the "offshore" instruments.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Another guitar might get you out of your playing rut.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Perhaps, it might.

It is easy to delude ourselves that the gear we do not possess will bring an improvement over whatever gear we are currently using.

Before spending a bunch of money, it might be informative to ask why the current gear is not getting played as much it should? Maybe, the stock pickups fail to do the instruments justice? Maybe, the OP's amplifier sucks most of the tone away? Usually, it turns out to be either pilot error or not putting in the necessary effort to get/stay good. (Everything that was good about my brother's bass playing evaporated when he ceased practicing regularly.)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

You've nailed it on the head with your last comment.

I don't practice enough.

I'm not as good as I could be because I don't practice, so I don't practice because I'm not very good.

It has nothing to do with my equipment (oohh er missus) it's just plain laziness.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33791
    Many times I've decided on a guitar that I *want* and then gone and bought it and I've ended up being disappointed.
    The guitars I play now are mostly instruments that I've happened across or taken in trades with the intention to sell but ended up loving.

My advice is not to make the decision based on an intellectual process, just get out and play as many guitars as you can.
    Ignore colour, price and even some of the structural tuff (bolt on, set neck, scale etc).
    There is an embarrassment of riches, especially in the used market- you'll end up finding something you love to play.
    I know what you mean, but in my head I want a Tele, and to bring harmony in the colour department red would match my Strat.
    octatonic said:
    The guitars I play now are mostly instruments that I've happened across or taken in trades with the intention to sell but ended up loving.

My advice is ... just get out and play as many guitars as you can. you'll end up finding something you love to play.
    In effect, you allow the guitar(s) to find you.

Within the last week, after some reluctance, I made a trade to acquire a vintage American student model electric guitar that I never would have chosen based on its specifications or appearance. You have probably heard the phrase, "plays itself." Some of these old pieces damned nearly do. The reason why it looks as if Angus Young and Warren Haynes aren't trying especially hard is because they don't need to. 
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7105
    haha my plan worked!!!
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33791
    octatonic said:

My advice is ... just get out and play as many guitars as you can. you'll end up finding something you love to play.
    In effect, you allow the guitar(s) to find you.

Within the last week, after some reluctance, I made a trade to acquire a vintage American student model electric guitar that I never would have chosen based on its specifications or appearance. You have probably heard the phrase, "plays itself." Some of these old pieces damned nearly do. The reason why it looks as if Angus Young and Warren Haynes aren't trying especially hard is because they don't need to. 
    I don't think it that way but I understand the point.

The way I look at it is if you try too think your way into a decision by taking what you currently have and trying to marry them together then you are doing so based on fairly limited information.

Going out and playing many more guitars you will simply have more data with which to make the decision- and you opening yourself up to changing your mind about what it is you think that you want.
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Sassafras said:
    Another guitar might get you out of your playing rut.
    Indeed. I have my guitars on rotation for that reason. I might change over every coupla weeks, or when I feel the guitar needs a break*.

*not literally, you understand.
  • MoosterMooster Frets: 68
    Why not set yourself a playing goal with the tele as a reward when you have achieved it. You get better, driven by achieving a goal and you get the tele as a satisfying reward.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1058
    Mooster said:
    Why not set yourself a playing goal with the tele as a reward when you have achieved it. You get better, driven by achieving a goal and you get the tele as a satisfying reward.
    great idea
  • I recently did something very rash and out of character, I spotted a guitar on Gumtree, contacted the seller and ended up buying It even though I have never even given this type a second look. Now I have it I have packed away my other guitars as I seem to have found home with it. My other 2 electric guitars are both great, a white les paul studio and an Yamaha pacifica 904 but this guitar has something about it that does make it effortless to play, it sound amazing also, making my hamfisted attempts at playing sound almost competent.

And that guitar is...

A Telecaster (American standard in 3 tone burst with a maple board),

It keeps saying to me welcome home, why did it take you so long to find me?

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Candy apple red.
    The most inspirational of the colours.
     :) 
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6058
    Colour coordination is often overlooked in the search for tone.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    SNAKEBITE said:
    It has nothing to do with my equipment
    Actually, it might. The wrong amplification can make even the finest electric guitars in the world sound horrid.

It is possible that your guitars and playing techniques are fine but that your amplifier is not giving back much of what you are putting in. (Ooh, er, missus!)

Returning to the opening post. Musical instruments should be about sound. Once colours enter into the equation, it is almost certainly a case of G.A.S.
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7105
    Sassafras said:
    Candy apple red.
    The most inspirational of the colours.
     :) 
    Wine red I think this guy needs, it's a difficult one though, you don't see too many of them these days....
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
    edited May 2017
    JezWynd said:
    Colour coordination is often overlooked in the search for tone.
    Absolutely. My playing sucks.....

http://i.imgur.com/LJ5oJ4I.jpg

...but look how good they look!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Well, it appears fate played a hand over the weekend.

When the Squire Vintage Modified Cabronita came out about 3 years ago I dithered around because I wanted one, but wasn't happy with the pick ups in the one with the Bigsby. I wanted the Filtertrons and Bigsby, not the Fitertons and no Bigsby.

Time went on, they sold them all and discontinued the model.

On Saturday I went looking and there in the shop was Bigsby equipped model.

No, it wasn't a "true" Tele, no, it wasn't red, but it did play well and it was under half the price of the one I was hankering after.

I'll let you know how I get on.....................