Acoustic of my dreams...

Hi all,

So I’m on the hunt for my perfect acoustic, an am willing to spend accordingly (£3000 is not impossible, but I’d rather stay at around £2k or so if I can. Unfortunately, I’m really rather picky, and this is complicating my life.

I play a good deal of fingerstyle, but it is best described as Nashville playing, so thumb pics, slamming the guitar a bit, hybrid picking, etc. It’s not the really really pretty side of fingerstyle. However, I also play in an acoustic trio, where I do need to use a pic – I play lead, or things above the fifth fret, to complement my friend’s solid rhythm chops. I currently have a Taylor 714CE, which will be moving on soon as there is something about the Taylor ES system which doesn’t work for me, despite everyone raving about it. Anyway, amping is a topic for another day.

I love the Nashville sound, so I’m thinking Martins or other American variants. The trouble is that I really do need a cutaway, and Martin is not known for having them. I have tried Gibsons (just no) and Lowdens (the neck is insanely huge) and anyway its not tonally quite my style.

So, can anyone assist? I like the Taylor’s 14 body shape, so something a touch smaller than a dred, but still big enough to be balanced and full-sounding. Where/whom should I be looking at?

I have no objection to used, if someone can recommend where I should look for them that is outside of TFB.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    A used Collings, Santa Cruz or Bourgeois? There are a couple on here, I think. And Coda have some used.
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
    I'm not sure what Nashville style is but how about a Jacques Stotzem style Martin OMC model 

• bermudianbritbermudianbrit Frets: 171
    if there was a picture there, I cannot see it (I'm blind, not that your image upload didn't work) I don't know the brand you mentioned, let's have a google.
    ehr...guitar even, not brand, lol.
    if there was a picture there, I cannot see it (I'm blind, not that your image upload didn't work) I don't know the brand you mentioned, let's have a google.
    It's a video from you tube the play button is about halfway down the screen.
    The closest standard model is probably the Martin OMC 35E.
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    Bernie, u seem to be caught up with the big brand - I have payed quite a few smaller brands - e.g. Furch & Larrivee / Webber etc. that would more than fit u’r needs. Ya need to get to and ‘do the rounds’ in some guitar stores - there IS  a guitar sitting out there in a store with your name on it.
    yep. I'm in Birmingham so we've got a few good shops near by.
  • jackiojackio Frets: 132
    edited May 2017
    I played lots (well, three) then went to SoundsGreat near Manc and left with a Collings OM2 which vibrated against me when I played it. My guitar  3
    I played a Huss and Dalton dreadnaught in Nottingham and wish now, 5 years later, that I had the cash to buy that one too. It vibrated agai...yeah, that.
    I found a second hand Bourgeois online which looked lovely. Went to Brighton for my birthday and tried it. It was lovely, but didn't vibrat....
    I'm glad I drove an hour to Manc to try that (my) Collings, it was time well spent. Good luck, enjoy trying and, with that budget, take the one that's yours. 

If you are in Brum, 1 hour on the train (45mins-6hours on the M42) has you in Nottingham. You're welcome to try mine if that would help, and Dave Mann music is very close by and has some very nice acoustics. Also Leics, there is a great acoustic shop (Sheehans) next to the train station
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5459
    You should totally check out Furch/Stonebridge. Same company, but called Stonebridge in the UK.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    edited May 2017
    If you like a full articulate bottom end with good projection, I can heartily recommend Lowden, some people find the bottom end a bit much but that depends a lot n your style and taste tbh
  • Chris_JChris_J Frets: 140
    I used to have a 714ce and in looking to replace that ended up with a D18 and a 00028

Not quite what I planned, but, both are fantastic for what I use them for. Mostly strumming with some fingerstyle or mostly fingerstyle with some strumming.

I could live with either of them for all of my playing but I'm fortunate enough to have both.
    thanks for all the suggestions guys. I have played Stonebridge and like them. I also work in Nottingham 2 days a week so ist an easy ride for me.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72253
    bermudianbrit said:

I currently have a Taylor 714CE, which will be moving on soon as there is something about the Taylor ES system which doesn’t work for me, despite everyone raving about it.
    I'm well known for raving about the Taylor Expression System…

It's poorly-designed, noisy, unreliable and incompatible with any other better system which could be used to replace parts of it. And bad-sounding.

:)

If you want the Martin sound, get a Martin - they do make cutaway models too. I wouldn't write off Gibson either, even if you've played one (or some) that weren't good - they're *extremely* variable.

I have honestly never played one of any of the fancy modern high-end brands that I like as much as a good Martin or Gibson.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I'm glad its not just me lol. Everyone says I'm crazy for disliking it. I will probably end up going Martins hopping...I'm just doign loads of research, also, since Martin's with cutaways are rarer, I'll probably have to buy new, which sucks (bloody VAT!).
  • Martin M 36 is definitely worth a look,great alrounder.