Anyone tried a Hayden MoFo 30 before?

What's Hot
DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
http://www.musicradar.com/reviews/guitars/hayden-mofo-30-572166

If so what's the thoughts on it? It may well suit what I'm after at the moment, well nearly but I can't get to a store to try one out unfortunately.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3071
    edited February 2014
    @not_the_dj had one if memory serves.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72317
    edited February 2014
    Yes - terrible. Grainy, nasty sound at low volume and unusually for a valve amp, got worse as you turned it up. The casing rattled as well, and the whole thing seemed poorly built.

Apologies if anyone is trying to sell one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Ah.

oh well, that's that then.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I thought it was OK at best, really designed or the lower volume players because as it got louder it just got brighter and a lot more shrill. There are better amps out there for the money for certain, if you're after a lunchbox type amp then the Ornages & Laneys are really hard to beat at that pricepoint.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited February 2014
    @not_the_dj had one if memory serves.

Indeed I did. One of the Dave Green made early ones, that one linked above is the V2, I've not tried those. I liked mine, but wanted a proper two channel amp which is why I ended up selling it on. Without the Mofo switch engaged it went from clean up to ACDC crunch, then higher gain with the Mofo on. No rattling that I recall, and I gigged with it for a few years via a 4x12 then 2x12. The stealth switch was really useful, I used to play at home with it through a 1x12 and it sounded fine to me.
  • I've got one of the new Mofo 30s bought about a month ago from Andertons, love it! Very solidly built, easily as well made as the mesa mini recto I used to have and much better than the orange tiny terror which couldn't be made more cheaply. The padded gig bag is nice too. Totally I think its fantastic, very touch responsive and dynamic. Really cool john mayery/jimi tones with my strat and the ganier side of things is superb with the Les Paul, loads of gain more than I need with the mofo boost all the way up. Full fx loop is handy and the lower power mode is very useful. Very impressed for the money. This is my first Hayden but I am already looking at getting a mini or lil mofo aswell
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    I need to try one I think. 
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    I heard one being gigged by a guitarist on the local circuit who I know well enough and was going through one of those phases where he was getting through different amps.  So basically I knew the guy knows how to play and get a good sound. 

Except the MoFo 30 didn't do well.  ICBM's description was pretty much how I remembered it.  Chatting to the guitarist a while later he said that he didn't like the sound of the amp much.  He'd thought it was okay in the shop but couldn't get a good sound gigging it.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 423
    I've got one of the first ones that were released and were assembled in the UK by Dave Green.

I think it's great - I can get a very nice Marshall classic rock sound out of it using my 1 x 12" with a Celestion G12-65 in and a more Fendery tone with my 2 X10" Eminence 1058 equipped cab.

As with all amps, the speakers you use with it will have a massive effect on the sound produced.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    The other guitarist in my band has the 15w version and it sounds brilliant. Plus it's loud as hell.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• chenzmanchenzman Frets: 193
    I've got the older 15w version and I think it's great. Really good cleans, crunch and metal tones. Works great in stealth mode(2w) too
  • I know an older 30 for sale if anyone wants one.