Peacekeeper - school me

What's Hot

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17604
    tFB Trader
    I use mine to beat people who use the term "school me"

25 LOLs, 1 WOW and 2 Wis and counting for that quip. Thank you luvvies.

It's the perfect case study for why I think the reaction system incentivises the wrong behaviour.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6679
    I love mine, @ThorpyFX has done an amazing job with it's design and build. It's (as said above) versatile, but it's also one of the tastiest pedals of its kind I've tried. Sounds amazing in front of my Flynn Tweed Super and get's all the lovely mids that sit beautifully with the tweed sound. It works with any guitar and does exactly what it ought to. It also has an immediacy and liveliness that I've not found with anything else except my KoT clone that I bought from @4114Effects, but it's different and I use it for other stuff. For me, it's close to an "always on" pedal as I've ever found and has a responsiveness to die for. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    edited May 2017

It's the perfect case study for why I think the reaction system incentivises the wrong behaviour.

you really are humorless :-)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader

I didn't say it was or wasn't funny.

The point is you came in and disrupted the thread by arsing about thus earning lots of frets whereas the people who took it upon themselves to help me with a question in the most part didn't earn any.

The frets system (which I added) was supposed to encourage people to be helpful, but it actually encourages them to be smart arses.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    Soz

tFB Trader
    Soz
    Nothing to apologise for I was just making an observation. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723

I didn't say it was or wasn't funny.

The point is you came in and disrupted the thread by arsing about thus earning lots of frets whereas the people who took it upon themselves to help me with a question in the most part didn't earn any.

The frets system (which I added) was supposed to encourage people to be helpful, but it actually encourages them to be smart arses.
    Wish I could give you more than 1 wis for this statement.  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Peacekeeper has just arrived in my mits and it is very good indeed. 

The funny thing I notice about Thorpy pedals is you tend to think. "Yeah it's pretty good" and then you go back to one of your other pedals and it just seems totally lifeless and dead in comparison to the Thorpy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 833
    I need to try a Peacekeeper, but would have to sell the Gunshot to afford it, though think the PK would suit my style better anyway. Interested how you get on with it a bit more @monquixote ;
  • Pete24vPete24v Frets: 235
    But the Peacekeeper into the Gunshot is just brilliant! 
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 833
    Oh don't say that @Pete24v I'll have to sell a child instead!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FezFez Frets: 522
    Oh don't say that @Pete24v I'll have to sell a child instead!
    I don't think there's a section in the Classified part of the forum for selling children.
    Don't touch that dial.
    tFB Trader
    I need to try a Peacekeeper, but would have to sell the Gunshot to afford it, though think the PK would suit my style better anyway. Interested how you get on with it a bit more @monquixote ;

I haven't had a huge amount of time with it yet, but so far I'm extremely impressed. I was fairly sure I would be as I tried one at the show in Brum a couple of months back.

The pedal it most reminds me of is the Bluebreaker/King of Tone. I know a lot of people compare it to the Timmy, but I've never had one of them so I have no idea if that's true or not. It's not got insane volume so I don't think it's any kind of 18v Klon like thing.

If I had to hazard a guess I'd say it was something like a KoT style circuit with a Baxandall EQ post circuit. 

It's really nice throughout the whole gain range a lot of these type of pedals work as a boost or with slight grit, but get really harsh when they are wound up. You can run the Peacekeeper flat out and it still sounds great. It doesn't get especially dirty, but you could use it as a rhythm pedal for Zep/Stones type stuff into a clean amp with no problem. 

It has the really nice property of seeming to work really well with just about everything stacked in either direction and into a clean and dirty amp and it's one of those "make everything sound better" pedals.

I think one of the reasons for this is the bass control. Most pedals are either thin into a clean amp or too blobby and wooly into a gainy amp and being able to tailor the low end is the key to making it fit. I don't think the frequency of the bass control is perfect compared to the MXR Super Badass and Badass OD I have on my board, but it does the job.
    Having pre and post treble is a cool feature as pushing the pre makes it a lot more lairy and sizzly, but you can stop it being an icepick with the post. Similarly you can make the gain smooth without loosing all the sparkle by doing the opposite.

I think it's my favorite of Thorpy's pedals along with the Fallout Cloud (which I hope to get next). I have had a Gunshot in the past, but I came to the conclusion that it did what it did very well, but that wasn't something I especially needed. This one is going to see a lot of use.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5154
    I think the Peacekeeper is next on my list. I've had the Gunshot and Warthog. The Warthog did everything from clean boost to Fuzz territory and the Gunshot didn't quite knock my Palmer Distortion off my board.  :)
    tFB Trader
    I'd like to spend more time with a warthog.

It's the only one I don't feel I have a good handle on.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822

I've got a Warthog and I was thinking of selling since getting the veteran but I can't seem to want let it go. It's such a versatile all rounder pedal really IMO
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    tFB Trader

I've got a Warthog and I was thinking of selling since getting the veteran but I can't seem to want let it go. It's such a versatile all rounder pedal really IMO
    Give me a shout if you decide to shift it.

Not in a position to buy now, but might be when you are ready to part with it.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822

Give me a shout if you decide to shift it.

Not in a position to buy now, but might be when you are ready to part with it.
    Will do :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    Warthog was the dark horse for me. I love the Peacekeeper, but the Warthog is so versatile - it's honestly a Jack of all trades and a master of many of them. With the PS after it in the chain, it's amazing
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    edited May 2017 tFB Trader
    Something wicked this way comes.....(and extremely limited too)

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom