Slowdive - self titled album

What's Hot
jpttaylorjpttaylor Frets: 458
Had a week to consider this and think it's a really lovely album.

I'd listened to Slowdive in the past and been able to appreciate the influence they had, but never quite crossed that threshold from enjoying a band to loving them. Souvlaki seemed a bit slow and pedestrian at times, albeit with great melodies. Their new self titled album just sounds like a concentrated version of their old albums - melodies that bit more enticing, a bit more aggression when needed, but still able to conjure up the magic.

Really encourage people to listen to this. I wasn't around in the early 90s and while I appreciate shoegaze for the influence it had, I can see why, at times, it became something easy to laugh at in the music press. This is properly lovely music.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    I haven't heard it yet, but it has good reviews on RYM, although someone said there are a few tracks that sound like Coldplay.  
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    I actually prefer it to most of the old stuff
    Stop crying, start buying
  • I am not keen but then I wasn't a huge Slowdive fan back in the old days, even though on paper I should have.

Bleach - Killing Time, now we'd be talking.
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    I haven't heard the new one yet, bar a couple of songs. I loved Souvlaki though. It's one of my favourite albums of all time. I'm rather fond of everything else they did, so I guess I'm something of a fan. I always preferred the dreamy end of the shoegaze spectrum, but that should be no surprise, as my fave band is the Cocteau Twins.
     Anyway, I'm off to buy a copy!
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27576
    jpttaylor said:
    Souvlaki seemed a bit slow and pedestrian at times, albeit with great melodies.
    I thought it was a bit of a train wreck - just one that turned out well. But I preferred Blue Day and Pygmalion.

The new one is pretty good - I'm only a few listens in though.

I'd say either Snag EP or Hard & Fast.

Dipping was their perfect sweet track, Seeing was them at their harsh best.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Sporky said:

I'd say either Snag EP or Hard & Fast.

Dipping was their perfect sweet track, Seeing was them at their harsh best.
    Decadence is my fave Bleach track which I have on vinyl(self titled comp comprising of Snag and Eclipse ep's)  but Killing Time is just a brilliant album with all the tracks on perfect order, especially the last 3 (Shotgun, Surround, Tangle); Shotgun is probably their weakest song but it fits perfectly on the album.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27576
    I like Killing Time, but I just don't think it was their best work.

Though I was wrong in my previous post; Dipping and Seeing are Bleach's sweet best, Burn is their harsh best. And all three on one EP.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6434
    The ad on Facebook proclaimed them "One of the most influential bands of the past three decades". 

• the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1778
    Picked it up on vinyl this afternoon. Had a listen through and I really like it. I liked the odd bit of Slowdive back in the old days but was never a massive fan but I've been really enjoying the bits of new stuff I've heard on the radio.
  • Electro_HamElectro_Ham Frets: 102
    I didn't really get into Slowdive back in the day, but, I was really into a lot of bands of that era and that style. The new album is great. Can't wait until the (Glasgow) gig in October.
    Going to see them on Friday - should be amazing

Ulrika Spacek in support too  :)

• I didn't really get into Slowdive back in the day, but, I was really into a lot of bands of that era and that style. The new album is great. Can't wait until the (Glasgow) gig in October.
    Same here, despite being into a lot of similar indie and shoegaze bands at the time, somehow missed slowdive, but got into them a few years later. Love the new album and got a ticket to the Manchester gig in October, should be epic.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4027
    Late to the party.
    Liking this album a lot.
    I have a memory of a holiday in Cornwall where I went by myself (as is often the way) and Slowdive were my soundtrack.
    This 2017 album could easily be the soundtrack to a new adventure.  I like it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2017
    Everybody

Go get tickets to see them

Now!

Possibly the best gig I've ever been to
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom