Richards Guitars

What's Hot

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 10894
    mgaw said:
    cant help thinking he would be a lot happier packing it all in and travelling to the highest Tibetan peaks
    To be fair, I think you could say that about most of us.
    "Mains is ouchy if you get it up you" - Sporky
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 2112
    mgaw said:
    cant help thinking he would be a lot happier packing it all in and travelling to the highest Tibetan peaks
    To be fair, I think you could say that about most of us.

In Tibet, nobody can hear you moan.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 4844
    If you want to understand Richard, watch his youtube channel. Try this one as a starter, as it shows how he sees a particular situation from his own perspective, but seems oblivious that others might, can or will see it differently.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • zenzeypherzenzeypher Frets: 258
    edited July 2017
    I've had 3 encounters with Richard. Two of which in person.

One involved his "R" Guitars. Cost upwards of £500. Cheap guitar imported from China. He had sold one to a friend of mine, he wouldn't give me any specs (was doing the research for my mate) on the rear of the headstock it read "made in china and GB"

It was the same companies that make the Gibson knock-offs... it was an absolute bag of shite

Mental breakdowns over Facebook
    Mental breakdowns over Emails
    Mental breakdowns in store

talks a stream of bollocks that people for some reason seem to believe.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 10519
    Chalky said:
    If you want to understand Richard, watch his youtube channel. Try this one as a starter, as it shows how he sees a particular situation from his own perspective, but seems oblivious that others might, can or will see it differently.

See, this is interesting.

Some of the posts on here really make him out to be a tool of the highest order. But in this video, he's actually raising a reasonable point.

The manufacturer in question does appear to be doing a poor job of keeping him informed. If his point is correct and he's one of the largest retailers of that brand in the U.K., then common business sense says keeping him on board whilst they change distributors is a reasonable thing to do. 

He has sold their stuff for 12 years, and yet nobody contacts him to tell him how to or when he will get hold of stock. 

It's worth watching just for reference to be honest. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    @Bridgehouse - I understand what you mean there. In that video, everything he says is pretty reasonable and I pretty much agree with everything he says.

This one, however...

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 13104
    Is he right? Blackstar will distribute G&L guitars in the UK?
    My pump-action drivel gun is smoking hot today!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1408
    Fretwired said:
    Is he right? Blackstar will distribute G&L guitars in the UK?

Not the brand Blackstar, but a division of theirs with some other name. They're on G&L's website I think...
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 2299
    @Bridgehouse - I understand what you mean there. In that video, everything he says is pretty reasonable and I pretty much agree with everything he says.

This one, however...

tell me this is a parody  please god someone help that man
    edited July 2017
    @mgaw - no parody, that genuinely is how he sees himself (he explained this to me on the phone when it all blew up). The problem, I think, is that in his analogy...he's either the waitress or the maitre d' - the head chef is the one who designs and builds the guitars, not the one who deals with the customers or runs front-of-house (yeah, my wife spent a lot of time working in restaurants). More to the point, the head chef is the one guy in the whole building that you never let speak to the customers.

When you view it from his perspective, it becomes very clear as to why he behaves the way he does. I do wish he wouldn't twist the truth, though; I'd look on him a lot more kindly if (for example) he didn't keep telling everyone he was banned from the forum for "being a rebel and the powers that be can't handle a differing opinion", when he was actually banned for threatening to sue the forum unless we removed all the posts from people who disagreed with him.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    In my experience most of the best restaurants at the top end are run by the chef anyway, the bloke is a f tool IMO, cant help but think its one big ego issue with him
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 16251

This one, however...

Why use one word with 20 million billion words will do?
    Seriously, that was excruciatingly embarrassing.
    I am the juice of four limes.
    Trading Feedback
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 2112

This one, however...

Sounds familiar. I think the second guitar is the one @stevengarside bought.

I think @digitalscream is right- by his analogy he's not the person who made the "meal", he's the maitre d'.

That said, if he wants to see himself as the head chef, why not hire a bloody waitress?

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 4844
    The Chef video is why I suggested watching the other video first, about G&L. And lo and behold, folks say Richard has a point and he is not being unreasonable.

That is because you are kindly responding to his emotions.  But Richard is good at putting across the "I'm a reasonable person" image, when in fact he is always driven by emotion over reason.  As can be heard in the Chef video.

Clearly, the view of the G&L distributor was that Richard would be informed when they had found a new distributor and not before. Clearly they had difficulty finding one so months passed. But in Richard's mind, he should be updated as their hunt for a new disty progresses. In a business environment, that simply aint going to happen.  Richard doing the emotional 'I've sold their products for X years' is not being reasonable. Its having an inflated view of one's own importance and ignoring the fact that others may not see satisfying him as their highest priority.  He fails to accept that their view may be valid simply because it disagrees with his emotions.

Rather like people sitting in A&E complaining that the person who came in after them is seen first and "they didn't look that ill" - just because you are upset and emotional and inconvenienced, does not make you the highest priority in other people's eyes and that lack of priority can be perfectly reasonable.

Richard then does the passive-aggressive trick of saying "It's because I care!". As if anyone who doesn't recognise and value his emotions is somehow a lesser person.  

I find his videos insightful but possibly not in the way he intends.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    Chalky said:
    The Chef video is why I suggested watching the other video first, about G&L. And lo and behold, folks say Richard has a point and he is not being unreasonable.

That is because you are kindly responding to his emotions.  But Richard is good at putting across the "I'm a reasonable person" image, when in fact he is always driven by emotion over reason.  As can be heard in the Chef video.

Clearly, the view of the G&L distributor was that Richard would be informed when they had found a new distributor and not before. Clearly they had difficulty finding one so months passed. But in Richard's mind, he should be updated as their hunt for a new disty progresses. In a business environment, that simply aint going to happen.  Richard doing the emotional 'I've sold their products for X years' is not being reasonable. Its having an inflated view of one's own importance and ignoring the fact that others may not see satisfying him as their highest priority.  He fails to accept that their view may be valid simply because it disagrees with his emotions.

Rather like people sitting in A&E complaining that the person who came in after them is seen first and "they didn't look that ill" - just because you are upset and emotional and inconvenienced, does not make you the highest priority in other people's eyes and that lack of priority can be perfectly reasonable.

Richard then does the passive-aggressive trick of saying "It's because I care!". As if anyone who doesn't recognise and value his emotions is somehow a lesser person.  

I find his videos insightful but possibly not in the way he intends.
    You nail it.
    The passive aggressive thing, particularly.
    I have family members like this and I've learned that the best thing you can do is put a huge amount of distance between you and them.
    Trading Feedback
  • wackojackowackojacko Frets: 58
    edited July 2017
    yeahhh....never dealt with him personally, or met him. Yet since this video was posted I have watched a few of his videos on youtube.

He clearly seems a nice guy....but...

He's a tit. (based on video opinion only) The fact he feels the need to do a video on this subject is worrying enough.

Emotions and business are two different things....he cant separate the two.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 6409
    Having been on the receiving end of his rants first hand - and this was before his Leamington Shop went bust owing £10000s - mental illness or just arrogant tosser? I'm not sure it's a metal illness. He genuinely believes he is superior to everyone else and has no problem with causing maximum offence.

I've met many passionate people who are difficult to deal with but aren't utter pricks. Sadly Richard can be an utter prick for no apparent reason and he will then spin it into him being the 'victim'.

I'd love to reveal some of the business dealings I had with him before Regent Guitars went under owing the company I worked for £10000s - and then started up a few weeks later at the same address('legally' but poor ethics).. but I signed an NDA, meaning I'd be in the wrong. Suffice to say, I was pleased when I heard that we'd no longer have the displeasure of his business. He was a prick then too...
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • LooseMooseLooseMoose Frets: 661
    Personally speaking, I feel this thread is more than a little out of order given Richard cannot register and therefore has no right of reply...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    Personally speaking, I feel this thread is more than a little out of order given Richard cannot register and therefore has no right of reply...
    He had the right to reply, and willingly forfeited it despite repeated warnings. Given that he often brings up the topic of this forum and slagging off everyone on it (lying about what happened in the process) when he fancies a rant on Facebook or YouTube, I can't see any reason that his business or approach to it should be an off-limits topic.

Besides...there is plenty of balanced discussion here. At least half the posts are sympathetic to him.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    +1 ^^^ 
    and since when is discussing banned members of limits?
    Trading Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • LooseMooseLooseMoose Frets: 661
    Righto...can't say I agree at all but hey ho
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    Another way to put it would be...if we decided that discussion of banned users is off-limits, then a neat way for anyone to force us to censor any criticism of them would be to join the forum and get themselves banned.

That's a precedent we don't want to set, because the whole point of this place is open discussion.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • DLMDLM Frets: 1544
    @digitalscream Wis'd. Witness Hufschmid on Sevenstring.org
  • dpmdpm Frets: 5
    edited September 2017
    my richards guitars experience-

don't bother.the man's an overemotoinal,drama queen.talks incessantly about caring but just wants your cash. his set-ups are very hit and miss .he's let me down 3 times now. and tried to make me feel bad about his slackness and self-admitted chaos.

bollocks to that
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 796
    I bought a guitar from him once. Won't do it again. 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 19080
    You'll enjoy this total lack of self awareness video.

Donald Trump has spoken movingly about 7-Eleven. It reminded him, he said, of the way Americans came together in 1941 after Pearl Necklace.

edited September 2017
    If I may just say again the man is a total :"$!    its just all memememememememememememememermermememrmrmrmrmrmrre mememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememmmemememememmememememememmemememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememmeemememememememmemememememememem 
  • Never heard of him before, but wow, what a peach, pure gold. 
  • gazzagazza Frets: 0
    I had to step in and deal with him when my father bought a new Godin guitar which had a problem. Instead of returning it to the distributor for either repair or replacement he kept it in the shop. It took us several weeks to sort it out and the distributor wasnt much help either. Richard also began to start sending sending emails which were factually inaccurate. We also noted that although my father paid by card and had a bank statement showing the purchase, he was never actually given a receipt or invoice for the guitar purchase by Richard.............Richard claims he does not have a lot of time to open his shop and is very busy chatting to customers online, but it seems he also spends a rather large amount of time creating nicely recorded videos for youtube rather than sorting out customer problems.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 2602
    I bought my four-figure Stonebridge acoustic off him 5 years ago. I phoned him to do a deal as getting to his shop from where I live in the frozen North wasn't going to happen, and I caught him just as he was heading out. He hung around and chatted for ages and I found him quite pleasant and enthusiastic. He agreed to a discounted price, I paid him and I got a cracker of a guitar in the post.

So from a transaction point of view I thought he was fine.

Now for the counter. I have followed his facebook page ever since that deal, through its name changes and move to be his page rather than a shop page (I think through stress) and have been saddened to see some of the diatribes he posts, mostly about customers. It could be about returned orders, it could be about online reviews or it could even just be about the way somebody has enquired about a guitar but 'wasted his time', some of what he chooses to post publicly is vitriolic.

I feel sorry for the guy but that may be exactly how he operates, on pity. Say what you like about the Andertons videos, you may not like some of the presenters but at least they are done from a business perspective and give the company a pro image online. Richard's posts and videos do his business no favours which is a shame because I was really happy with my dealing with him.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter