Richards Guitars

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• harryharry Frets: 4
    Big problem is he sells guitars he doesn’t have. Waited well over a month for a guitar I ordered only to be told it hadn’t even been sent from his supplier to him. Plus the wait for his set up. He just doesn’t give a toss how long anyone has to wait for one of his bloody guitars.
    Next time I’ll buy a guitar that someone has actually got.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • harryharry Frets: 4
    One week left to Christmas and still no guitar. Could have chopped the f###ing tree down myself and made one by now. Luckily I had the sense to buy on a credit card so if he pulls the same stunt he has on others I can claim under section 75 of the credit act.
    Never had this problem in over twenty years of buying online, just goes to show you should always check up on forums like this before handing your money over to a tosser.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • harry are you sorted yet
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • fatneck59fatneck59 Frets: 1
    edited January 2018

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 882
    FWIW I bought a guitar from Richard a few years ago, and it was certainly an experience.

My takeaway from it all was that he's basically one of life's chaotic individuals who over-commits and hasn't quite squared wish fulfillment with expectation management for whatever reasons of history/health/character. And that can lead to some interactions that have the potential to escalate quickly.

All of my interactions were pleasant - email, online chat, and a very pleasant day spent in the shop when I visited, just trying stuff out and chatting. However, at pretty much every stage nothing was quite as promised, although there was always a reason (I didn't debate the reasons, as my interpretation would have been somewhat different to his in a number of cases).

Fortunately I was in a position where I was under no pressure, other than internal GAS, and could afford to be chilled out about things and just roll with it. If I was asked to do a consultancy job on the gaps between the stated commitment to customer care and the actual customer experience, it would probably not be a welcome report, however (it'd be valuable though - place could be a goldmine with a few really basic tweaks to make the reality match the aspiration). Nothing major for me, but lots of little disconnects that in other circumstances, or with another personality, could have led to a less positive outcome.

End result: I got a guitar I love, at a price that was fair, with a few frustrations and wrinkles in the process. And a mental note that I would go back, but only on the strict understanding that what I was interested in was in stock, and that I was going to the shop to sort out all the detail. And ideally liaising with his wife on anything where it mattered (like the items concerned actually, definitely, being in the shop for the day I was turning up - you know, little stuff :) ).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Recenly i made a purchase from Richards Guitars, a shop local to me.
    admittedly it was a "black friday" purchase but was my dream guitar, a Godin Montreal Premiere with Bigsby. a £1700 guitar he had priced at £1k. I took a finance 12-month interest free deal to pay for it, after having to pay a meaty deposit.
    After the order acknowledgement i waited patiently for over a week and i didn't here anything about when i could collect, so i contacted his staff who said they had a lot of guitars to get ready, and it would probably be ready in a few days by the weekend. i was emailed on a friday to say it was ready to collect, so i went the following day.
    As soon as i walked in and saw it hanging there i knew it wasn't quite right. Right guitar model, colour etc but it didn't have the Bigsby. This was one of the main reasons for my purchase.
    He wasn't there, he wasnt in until the following Tuesday. The young shop assistant was sympathetic to a point.
    The technician "ticket" for the guitar set-up clearly had written on it "Bigsby?" at least he pays attention. The other staff genuinely seem not helpful and a have a lack of care for customers.
    i had to take time off work to go and visit him on the following Tuesday (he didnt call).
    as soon as i entered the shop i felt the atmosphere change and a cooling in the air, as everyone ignored me including the shop assistant from the weekend.
    i had to go on this day, as it was the last day of the 14 day "cooling off" period for me to end the finance agreement which i was considering doing as he had mis-sold the guitar as something it wasnt.

while we spoke he was all affable and trying to be a likeable problem solver, telling me it was still a great guitar for the money etc and i could probably take and it sell it for a profit immediately etc. it was just in the clearance section etc.

we came to some sort of loose agreement to retrofit a bigsby, and he offered his tech to do the work for free and split the cost of the bigsby. it seemed amicable, but they dont seem to have done it before and it involves drilling the body.
    Although agreed, later on i thought it over, and probably don't want to do it.

he didn't have the original hard case for the guitar which was in another storage place, and rather than offer to go and get it immediately so i could take the guitar then, he asked me to come back again, during his opening hours on another day.

because of his mis-advertising the wrong spec of guitar, i may not now get the premium case i expect, but a branded gig bag.

i actually am stuck between a rock and a hard place. the guy seems to have some major issues and i dont wanna post reviews anywhere else where he can respond, as it can be blatantly seen that he is aggressive and seems to be a bit jekyll/hyde and bit of a nasty piece of work who tries to humiliate and intimidate customers who air legitimate grievances.

because of all this messing around, the 14 day cooling off period is over and i can't cancel the order.

i can retrofit a bigsby, but it will cost. i can buy the premium hard case but that will also cost.

i was genuinely sucked in by his spiel about being a striving local guitar shop etc, but i would anyone to make some careful investigations before purchasing from this place.
    his staff, apart from the guitar tech, are not clued up or customer focussed at all.

he seems nice in person, but pretty passive/aggressive.

the whole thing is a debacle really which i hope doesnt get worse.
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 1918
    I think you are confusing the 14 day cooling-off period for the loan agreement with the actual sale contract - they are different things.

If, as you say, you bought on credit, you have 14 days from the day after the contract to rescind the credit agreement. That's obviously passed.

That does not, however, affect your contractual rights - one of which is the right to expect to receive the item you ordered. It is a different guitar and he is not complying with the contract by trying to palm this off on you. Don't be bullied. Tell him that he has not fulfilled the contract and you want to cancel this. Don't hang around. If you are intimidated by him, write to him - email is better as you can keep track of it. Contact the finance people as well and let them know what is happening. 

One caveat - from what you've said, there is a possibility that you have actually (in legal speak) accepted the guitar offered - I can't tell fully from what you've said but hopefully not.

Whether this guy has mental issues or not doesn't matter when it comes to him selling guitars which are not what they are described as. It's not what you wanted and if he can't provide the contracted-for goods, you are fully entitled to tell him that you are cancelling the contract, despite the 14 days having elapsed.

Good luck.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 15028
    That - make it the finance company's problem.
    Every year, I grow half as pretty, and twice as drunk. 
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 2698
    this character has had way too much "sympathy" in the past, personally I wouldn't go near any enterprise he was involved in with a bargepole...pitchfork perhaps but definitely no bargepoles
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • @Hattigol - thanks for the kind words and sound advice. 
    His shop and outfit is an awful affair. I was suspicious that the 1700 guitar was priced to sell at 999.
    It is still a good guitar for the money, and would be 13-1400 in that spec all day long.

I can retrofit a bigsby trem. But it will cost and he's only offered to split the cost of the work.

The finance company, dividebuy, have repeatedly said that it's the retailers problem, only they can process a refund, the finance company won't step in Etc.

Tomorrow will be the biting point really, because his secretary the awful snooty cow has graciously booked an appointment for me to attempt to collect the guitar a second time.
    He didn't have the case to hand when I was there it's on another storage place. 
    This lower spec guitar only has the branded gig bag and not the higher spec moulded TRIC case which Godin give with the higher spec guitars. This can be bought separately for 125. He will also have other Godin models which have that case as standard.

I think if I get the TRIC case as advertised, I can live without the bigsby or retrofit it later.

If it doesn't have the high spec case I'm gonna get proper annoyed.

Also, I couldn't be sure, but I'm sure I spotted a crack in the neck heel joint or the guitar. I will ask to careful examine it.

@sporky - thanks, they won't step in though as I said above. They are saying its between me and the retailer.

@mgaw - thanks, I agree totally.

The problem is he seems OK, but he's a very Jekyll and Hyde character.
    I could leave negative google or trustpilot reviews but I run the risk of being identified if u mention the guitar or even if I don't,  he will know. He vociferously attacks people that post negative ratings on Google, trustpilot or facebook.

What should be my dream GAS purchase and 40th birthday present to myself is turning into a 'mare.
  • Honestly just don't accept it. Get yourself a refund. Regardless of how good the guitar is, it's not the one you wanted. 

• carloscarlos Frets: 1524
    Get your money back and walk away with only time badly spent.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 15028
    Trading Standards would surely take an interest? 
    Every year, I grow half as pretty, and twice as drunk. 
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 1918
    Really feel for you, buddy. It's just not fair.
    Forget the finance people - as I said, if he doesn't provide what he was supposed to provide, then you are entitled to cancel the contract, provided you haven't agreed to alter the terms by accepting the lesser guitar. 
    Don't let him bully you. You're not in the wrong here.
    Keep us posted and good luck.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • DLMDLM Frets: 1855
    carlos said:
    Get your money back and walk away with only time badly spent.
    This. Drop the whole thing like a hot potato and protect your memories of your 40th pressie. I'd not want such a significant purchase tainted. Do whatever you have to do to extricate yourself.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • I bought a guitar from him.  He sent it to the wrong customer then went on holiday.  Eventually arrived with me but was the pickups were wired wrong to the toggle switch.  Sent that back for correcting.   Setup wasn't very good either.  After 6 months the Jack plate wiring failed which I fixed.  Would not deal with him again.  
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1583
    Hate to break it to you Teaboy but your plan of not leaving bad reviews for fear of being identified has somewhat been undone by you posting all the info here, as no doubt he will read these comments.

I wouldn’t touch his establishment with a 10ft pole based on what I’ve read and heard. Walk away.
  • BRISTOL86 said:
    Hate to break it to you Teaboy but your plan of not leaving bad reviews for fear of being identified has somewhat been undone by you posting all the info here, as no doubt he will read these comments.

I wouldn’t touch his establishment with a 10ft pole based on what I’ve read and heard. Walk away.
    I don't think he was trying to avoid being identified, he was trying to avoid posting on a page that's controlled by Richard because that only results in one of two things: either Richard twists the truth and gets his supporters to turn on you, or he just deletes the negative comments.

He's banned from here for repeatedly breaking the rules, so I guess that's why people tend to come here to vent.
    "Mains is ouchy if you get it up you" - Sporky
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1583
    Ah makes sense. 
  • BRISTOL86 said:

I don't think he was trying to avoid being identified, he was trying to avoid posting on a page that's controlled by Richard because that only results in one of two things: either Richard twists the truth and gets his supporters to turn on you, or he just deletes the negative comments.

He's banned from here for repeatedly breaking the rules, so I guess that's why people tend to come here to vent.
    This thread also seems to be one of the highest ranking results on Google for Richards Guitars.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Hi guys

Thanks for all the kind and wise comments and advice. 

I was on edge today tbh, and I shouldn't have been. Picking up a guitar this nice should be a joyous occasion.

I went down after work and I'd explicitly made an email appointment with "sally" who he bleats on about it is so lovely, but I find her a bit sniffy and short in her emails.

He wasnt there and it was younger shop assistant "dude", also called Richard I believe (confusingly).

It was there in exactly the right Godin case (TRIC) which itself is a work of art. Very light but very strong.
    I checked it over, and I must have been on edge Saturday I think a bit and maybe seeing things, at the horror of no bigsby.

The neck heel joint to body is perfectly fine, and it's spanking new. 

I don't wanna tempt fate and say its perfect but I got it home and gave it a good checking and it looks genuinely superb.

The no bigsby thing was a big thing, but I'm prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt. It seems as honest mistake and it's still good value. 

Obviously Comments above about ongoing guitar quality and niggles concern me, but I'll just have to have a period of "watchful waiting".

The bigsby B-7 can be retrofitted, and he did offer to contribute. There is also a nifty gadget called a vibramate which is a fixing plate which goes into the stoptail screwholes and you mount the bigsby straight on the plate, which has the holes in, so you don't have to drill the guitar body. And because it uses the existing stoptail threaded holes it's perfectly "centered".
    This actually better than Godin factory spec which uses a bigsby B70 from the far east which has to be drilled into the body.

It's early days and I've bit the bullet and compromised a bit, and it's still a nice guitar for the money.

Looking forward to trying it out and gigging it.

I'll order a bigsby and fit it over Xmas. 

Also I'll get my tech I use, noiseworks in Coventry, to check it over for me.

Thanks for all the help and advice guys. I probably should have been a bit "harder" over it all. But honestly even though I can snarky bugger sometimes, that his takes a lot of energy these days!  Also I dislike confrontation and don't generally handle it well.

• Teaboy said:

There is also a nifty gadget called a vibramate which is a fixing plate which goes into the stoptail screwholes and you mount the bigsby straight on the plate, which has the holes in, so you don't have to drill the guitar body. And because it uses the existing stoptail threaded holes it's perfectly "centered".
    This actually better than Godin factory spec which uses a bigsby B70 from the far east which has to be drilled into the body.

Before you order a vibramate system have a look at the option of the Towner system. It’s another retrofit without drilling whilst also allowing you to use a b3 or 6 which will give you a bit more travel than the b7. Ordering direct from him is cheaper too. 
  • TeaboyTeaboy Frets: 8
    @digitalscream is correct just trying to have a vent away from that sociopathic man.

My Godin I've barely played due to a really busy and personally bad Xmas.

I finally get to play it some more and it's developed a nasty harmonic,metallic buzz or rattle on certain barre and open chords.

So I reluctantly call him today,  and he goes absolutely banshee mental at me on the phone, literally frothing at the mouth. 
    Total passive/aggressive intimidation. Ranting that I got a great guitar he made no money on. They sold 60+ this.month and Im the only one complaining etc.

Man is an absolute tyrant. He's genuinely very sociopathic. 

Tries to be all nice and affable in public and then 1-2-1 is aggressive and beyond rude.

Tried to humiliate me on the trustpilot review by making me out to be ungrateful and somehow shady because I bought the guitar on credit.

So much for the added value and "impeccable" setup.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 2028
    He’s local to me, I’m in Banbury and assume he’s still in Stratford, if I have a quiet day in the week I really ought to pop up and see what it’s all about ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 12773
    For what it's worth, given the fact that he's already made legal threats, I would recommend anybody calling him by phone to record the conversation if it's likely to be a contentious one - especially if they plan on posting about it here; it could prove immensely useful to them later.

If anyone's worried about the whole consent thing...for personal use, and provided that it's not shared with a third party (in some circumstances), it's perfectly legal and the transcript is allowable in court, for example in defamation hearings...
    "Mains is ouchy if you get it up you" - Sporky
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 4262
    Teaboy said:
    Hi guys

Thanks for all the kind and wise comments and advice. 

I was on edge today tbh, and I shouldn't have been. Picking up a guitar this nice should be a joyous occasion.

I went down after work and I'd explicitly made an email appointment with "sally" who he bleats on about it is so lovely, but I find her a bit sniffy and short in her emails.

He wasnt there and it was younger shop assistant "dude", also called Richard I believe (confusingly).

It was there in exactly the right Godin case (TRIC) which itself is a work of art. Very light but very strong.
    I checked it over, and I must have been on edge Saturday I think a bit and maybe seeing things, at the horror of no bigsby.

The neck heel joint to body is perfectly fine, and it's spanking new. 

I don't wanna tempt fate and say its perfect but I got it home and gave it a good checking and it looks genuinely superb.

The no bigsby thing was a big thing, but I'm prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt. It seems as honest mistake and it's still good value. 

Obviously Comments above about ongoing guitar quality and niggles concern me, but I'll just have to have a period of "watchful waiting".

The bigsby B-7 can be retrofitted, and he did offer to contribute. There is also a nifty gadget called a vibramate which is a fixing plate which goes into the stoptail screwholes and you mount the bigsby straight on the plate, which has the holes in, so you don't have to drill the guitar body. And because it uses the existing stoptail threaded holes it's perfectly "centered".

It's early days and I've bit the bullet and compromised a bit, and it's still a nice guitar for the money.

Looking forward to trying it out and gigging it.

Also I'll get my tech I use, noiseworks in Coventry, to check it over for me.

Thanks for all the help and advice guys. I probably should have been a bit "harder" over it all. But honestly even though I can snarky bugger sometimes, that his takes a lot of energy these days!  Also I dislike confrontation and don't generally handle it well.

Nice, honest and open post mate...
  • TeaboyTeaboy Frets: 8
    @digitalscream thanks for the advice. I.actually considered recording it with the work phone and him on speaker, but you can always tell your own speaker. Also I thought there were potential legal issues with recording someone without consent.

The review I left is findable on trustpilot. Even though I left nothing to identify myself and he's sooo busy helping other customers he knew it was me.

Worst thing is he's answered it trying to humiliate and discredit me and make me look ungrateful for the amazing deal I.got and.his impeccable service.

I'm minded to go and edit that review down to 1star and put some home truths In their about sociopathic ways.

I'd advise caution in all dealings with him.

All the shop staff seem scared of him, and now his shop boy has the same name as him, he makes everyone call him "Richard the 1st".