Just back from Mayer @ O2

What's Hot

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26754
    edited May 2017
    Starting with the talky bit is maybe not the way to get people into JM. 

But if you want some decent guitaring, try these. If you're not wowed by any of them I'll be amazed.

Acoustic.

Blues Trio

Ballad (probably the best ballad of recent times.

Pop song (ish)

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • horseheadhorsehead Frets: 219
    As a john Mayer fan boy, I've got to say I understand the hate for him.  He doesn't make it easy to like him sometimes. But also among the guitar elite he is loved did what he does,  which is take the blues and use them so many different eats.  He doesn't rest on his laurels,but I get that also that means he tries to write this that don't necessarily suit him and can come off as bland and boring.  
    For me continuum was his pinnacle, but also be set everything up including his own bar so high,  that he's probably never going to beat that. 

The above videos are a great intro to him and he can't be that bad if one of my all time heroes,  Robbie McIntosh emboss playing with him.

Hmmm...I may have prattled on 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 972
    @ToneControl What was the one excellent one? 
    Continuum
    That's the only one of his that I really loved. A few songs here and near on his other albums interest me but that's about it.
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
    He's a fantastic, millionaire guitar player, who sells out arenas and has $hagged Katy Perry and Jennifer Aniston. Yeh, I can see how he's doing it all wrong...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2331
    ....and don't forget that his watch collection is worth more than any of us here will earn in a lifetime! :)

I enjoyed this recent O2 video.....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG02Uy5VI2c

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6435
    BRISTOL86 said:
    Saw the setlist and feel like I saved a lot of wasted money by not going
    What were you hoping for, more older stuff?

Well, I guess I probably was...but more to the point I would have wanted more than three songs from the Trio - the Where The Light Is DVD has a longer set from that line-up and I'd have at least wanted 5 or 6 songs. But yes, I probably do find his newer stuff drippy and uninspiring. That said, I see he played Walt Grace.. at one of the 02 shows, which in itself was probably worth the admission fee, to use the cliche. Almost moves me to tears every time, that song.

• skinfreakskinfreak Frets: 200
    Broadly speaking, would you say you're a fan, or not?
    I might be if I can keep his pooch out of my head... the chap can play for sure but I am aggrieved that you got 3 LOLS when I only got one. And I think that is the lesson of this thread. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    I quite like his playing but can't stand the vocal, it's far too smooth. 

To be honest he is just a younger Clapton wannabe. :) 
    I quite like his playing but can't stand the vocal, it's far too smooth. 

To be honest he is just a younger Clapton wannabe. :) 
    And to be fair to him, he's not quite as dull now as EC was 15 years into his career :D 
  • grooviegroovie Frets: 15
    I'd love to see him and Bonamassa go at it.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    groovie said:
    I'd love to see him and Bonamassa go at it.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I'd honestly rather hear them talk about gear than hear them play together.
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    John Mayer isn't there to be liked as a person, he is there to be liked as a musician

He sounds like an asshole, but I couldn't care less.  I don't buy music based on personality. I'm sure One Direction are lovely chaps, doesn't get them a sale.

Sure, the Paul Gilbert lovely guy and great musician style is nice, but it ain't always gonna happen.
  • I'm so confused by John Mayer. There are some of this songs I adore and really get into, but most of the time it floats over me in a sickly luke warm way.

I find it very hard to be compelled by anything after this 

'IM A RECOVERED EGO ADDICT'

Also love when he takes the press team from a national news show to his 'secret getaway' in Montana... 'this is where i come to get away from it all...you'll be staying in the press wing of the house'.

All said though, 'moving on getting over', 'rosie', 'walt gracies submarine test' I really love. It's just everything else I hate. But I sure do love to hate it, I watch enough videos of him..

@HPhillipsmusic  have you heard him taking about $25k watches.. you'd love that..!!
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    BRISTOL86 said:
    Saw the setlist and feel like I saved a lot of wasted money by not going
    What were you hoping for, more older stuff?

Well, I guess I probably was...but more to the point I would have wanted more than three songs from the Trio - the Where The Light Is DVD has a longer set from that line-up and I'd have at least wanted 5 or 6 songs. But yes, I probably do find his newer stuff drippy and uninspiring. That said, I see he played Walt Grace.. at one of the 02 shows, which in itself was probably worth the admission fee, to use the cliche. Almost moves me to tears every time, that song.
    Yeah I wouldn't have minded more trio. My heart sank when I saw Who Did You Think I Was? on the set list from the night before as I knew he wouldn't do it two nights in a row. Same for In Your Atmosphere and Free Fallin from the acoustic set. 

Walt Grace was a really nice surprise though, and Whisky Whisky Whisky
  • skinfreakskinfreak Frets: 200
    @HPhillipsmusic  have you heard him taking about $25k watches.. you'd love that..!!
    Sweet Jesus...
  • fftcfftc Frets: 559
    edited May 2017
    artiebear said:
    His detractors usually don't know what he does or have the ability to get anywhere close 
    What a crock!

'You're not as good as him so you are not allowed to not like him.'

I'm not as good as any of the guitarists I like, or most of the ones I don't. I'm not as good at football as Ronaldo either, but I'm still allowed to think he's a prick!
  • PonchoGregPonchoGreg Frets: 764
    One of my fav guitar players for sure - rythm parts are usually off the charts, I dig his solo phrasing and really really like most of his tones. I'd agree with most here that Continuum/Where the Light Is is the pinnacle though (even if I really enjoy most of his latter output as well). And while his playing is still fantastic live, his vocal ability really took a hit following surgery a few years back.

Now that's all about his playing/songwriting/etc, which is obviously the most important. Beyond that I have a weird love/hate relationship with the guy himself. In most cases he does come across like a massive d**k that just really loves hearing himself talk. But then again you watch his Berklee sessions (definitely recommend that, both for the playing and the insight) and he comes across as a very intelligent, relatable, interesting musician. That also comes across in his posts about gear on his forum from a few years back. Basically I think that in the company of geeks he's the uber geek and a genuinely likeable bloke, but as soon as he reaches out to a wider audience it all goes a bit philosophy undergrad.

Finally, do check out his frequent Instagram/Periscope little bits of live playing (all on Youtube). Great display of his versatility and fantastic touch. Some great riffs & ideas in there.
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2331
    edited May 2017
     Basically I think that in the company of geeks he's the uber geek and a genuinely likeable bloke, but as soon as he reaches out to a wider audience it all goes a bit philosophy undergrad.

Yeah exactly, I was fortunate enough to have a relaxed chat with him one to one several years ago and we just sat and geeked about guitars and music. He's very knowledgeable and passionate about these things and not just the vintage gear either like Jo Bo. He's certainly not that guy in front of the camera in reality, he was a good listener too....it wasn't all ME ME ME.