Question about Locking Tuners

What's Hot
deloreandelorean Frets: 224
edited May 2017 in Guitar
So I have one of these lovely ladies : http://m.guitarguitar.co.uk/Product/14031113061058

I would like to switch the tuners out for locking ones but really don't want to take a drill to my guitar..!

Does anyone know if there are any direct drop-in replacements that would work? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    edited May 2017
    Why do you need locking tuners? It's got a locking nut already

Nice guitar BTW. :)
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • deloreandelorean Frets: 224
    edited May 2017
    Thanks man :D

Just to make string changes that little bit faster really
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • bacchanalianbacchanalian Frets: 897
    You can buy Fender locking tuners with a two pin mount that should just drop in with no drilling required.  These are made by Schaller. I recently the the tuners on a CS tele for locking tuners.  I went with the Schaller F type in nickel because I preferred the look to the Schaller made but fender logo'd tuners
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 611
    According to the GG spec sheet they are sd91 vintage style tuners so the 2 pin won't fit without drilling.and even if you did you may see the original hole. Completely different design of tuner. Do they do vintage style locking tuners I've not seen any but guess never looked. Seen two types of vintage tuners on starts too...one has hole central on side other has on the corners. Be sure before you buy. 
    Thanks guys - sounds like this will require some indepth research!

Last thing I want is to see the holes,  or to mess up my guitar with my cack-handed drilling attempts! 

Might be worth me dropping Fender an email
    Out of curiosity,  what do you make of these?   The F-mount Locking ones:

http://www.kluson.com/revolution.html

Just stumbled across them a moment ago. Allegedly a direct retrofit for some Fenders

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    Before you buy the locking tuners, which I'm assuming you'll string using minimal wrap around the post -

One cool thing you can do with a Floyd is save a string that snaps at the bridge. If you have enough extra winds at the post, you can just unwind some extra length and re clamp to the bridge.

Obviously if you would prefer a totally fresh string I get that, but I used to do that all the time on my old RG to save the money and hassle of a restring for as long as possible 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22732
    I can't tell from the picture in the original post but if they're '50s Kluson style tuners, Gotoh make locking versions.  Look for Gotoh SD91-MG.  They do two types, one with a locking mechanism in the string post and now one with a thumbwheel at the back like a Sperzel or Schaller.
    @delorean Apologies. I think you need to be looking at Gotoh. I did not realise it was Fender Japan. Again I am pretty sure that there is a direct locking replacement.

Does this one one look like yours?
    http://g-gotoh.com/international/product/sd91-mg-t.html

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    I have a USA Standard Strat and wanted to change my tuners for locking versions too.  As per the OP it must be an easy direct replacement drop-in fit - no drilling etc.  Which tuners (chrome, locking) would be appropriate guys, and where's the best place to buy these?
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    Philly_Q said:
    I can't tell from the picture in the original post but if they're '50s Kluson style tuners, Gotoh make locking versions.  Look for Gotoh SD91-MG.  They do two types, one with a locking mechanism in the string post and now one with a thumbwheel at the back like a Sperzel or Schaller.

Yeh, does look like Gotoh make a locking version of the SD91 so a straight swap...altho not cheap I bet
    edited May 2017
    Voxman said:
    I have a USA Standard Strat and wanted to change my tuners for locking versions too.  As per the OP it must be an easy direct replacement drop-in fit - no drilling etc.  Which tuners (chrome, locking) would be appropriate guys, and where's the best place to buy these?
    Hi Rich pretty certain the USA std has the 2 pin fitting. I've put Fender part no 0990818100 6 in line chrome locking tuners on 2 USA and was a straight swap. Have a set of sperzels that went straight on too but I don't know the spec of them. All work fine. I've also picked up a pair of vanson lockers off ebay and they have been fine so far too

• professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Easy solution, string it 'back to front' thread the ball ends through the machine heads clip to length and pop into the bridge, quick neat and no nasty string ends.

Also if you use D'Addario you get pretty coloured ball ends.
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    bazxkr said:
    Voxman said:
    Hi Rich pretty certain the USA std has the 2 pin fitting. I've put Fender part no 0990818100 6 in line chrome locking tuners on 2 USA and was a straight swap. Have a set of sperzels that went straight on too but I don't know the spec of them. All work fine. I've also picked up a pair of vanson lockers off ebay and they have been fine so far too

I'm double double checking with Fender but I think you're spot on that's these will drop in:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/262968483995?chn=ps&adgroupid=42212778379&rlsatarget=pla-299853472283&abcId=1088876&adtype=pla&merchantid=113806771&poi=&googleloc=9045984&device=c&campaignid=807470815&crdt=0
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72249
    Easy solution, string it 'back to front' thread the ball ends through the machine heads clip to length and pop into the bridge, quick neat and no nasty string ends.

I used to think that was a great idea until I had to change a broken string when it had been done like that, without pliers to hand. It's almost impossible to pull the ball end out of the tuner post when the string has been firmly bent round it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

@delorean Apologies. I think you need to be looking at Gotoh. I did not realise it was Fender Japan. Again I am pretty sure that there is a direct locking replacement.

Does this one one look like yours?
    http://g-gotoh.com/international/product/sd91-mg-t.html

Hmm strangely nope - Mine look very much like these:  https://www.allparts.uk.com/products/gotoh-mini-tuning-keys-schaller-style-6-in-line-gotoh-part-no-sg360 ;
  • MolochMoloch Frets: 693
    Hipshot make locking tuners that come with a kind of bar to secure them, so they're drill-free.
    edited May 2017
    That is strange.  I wonder if the information on the guitar guitar website is accurate. If you try Fender Customer Services they are pretty good about sending out specs and are probably best to advise you 
    ICBM said:

I used to think that was a great idea until I had to change a broken string when it had been done like that, without pliers to hand. It's almost impossible to pull the ball end out of the tuner post when the string has been firmly bent round it.
    Soooooo you are saying that you, @ICBM, were unprepared for a repair scenario?

I'm now questioning everything.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

ICBM said:

And the answer is btw to thread the broken end through the ball end forming a loop and pull it out with the trem arm.