More musings on 2nd guitar (I know some of you think I am bonkers but please bear with me :-) )

TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
First thing: So as time goes by and I play the Martin more and more, it is digging its way into my affections and I suspect it's going to earn the degree of confidence that makes a guitar a proper keeper soon.

As a few people here mentioned at the time, through technique it is possible to make the 'wrong' type of guitar work in a different setting - and while I am not and will never be a particularly accomplished acoustic technician, I have noticed that to be true - I catch myself playing some plectrum-picked low notes particularly carefully and cleanly to get a bit more strident sound out of the 000 body and scale. 

I am happy to report that an old friend and I are working on some acoustic duo (he plays bass and some guitar, we used to be in a band together where I sang and played electric) stuff an have picked the open mic event we'll be trying things out at and I'm really looking forward to it (there is a bunch of context here that might warrant a different thread, if any at all - in short I've had some serious anxiety stuff go on over the last few years - not music related, life related, partly contributing to the fact that I no longer work - and this is a huge deal for me) 

I *had* intended to use a more workaday guitar for this, for which the Yamaha LL16 seemed ideally suited. But in a lovely first-world-problem twist of fate I am always drawn now to the smaller body guitar which I think I'm going to be able to make work for me across both finger- and plectrum-based stuff. Which is fab. 

Second thing: I'm enjoying nerding about acoustics - I'm quite happy to put time into it, talking about it, trying things out, and potentially even turning over a few guitars on the journey to understanding more about it all. It's something that I have (like many) already achieved with electrics over a far longer timeframe - but I'm loving doing so all over again with these beautiful bits of wood, wire and glue :-) 

So hopefully, you can help me fuel this interest without despairing too much at my flighty thoughts - I promise it is all going in 'up there'

Where does that leave my brain right now? 
OK, the Yamaha is basically almost too 'all-purpose' - sound-wise it is such a good tweak of the dreadnaught thing that the finger sound and the lightly strummed stuff sound fab, but in comparison to a classic dread the more stridently strummed (plectrum) sounds don't give it up the way a more one-trick guitar would. And in light of the progress made with the Martin, I think that's the gap I'd like to plug. 

I had thought I was on my way to being able to afford a used D-18 but it seems not to be the case now, unfortunately. 

I have in mind to partner the Martin 000 with either some sort of OM as backup/less glitzy option for playing out) *or* a nice rich sounding more classicly voiced Dread.

I have about £600 stashed in Paypal. I'd prefer to keep the Yamaha but if needs must...

OK we got there - recommend me stuff to try in shops or to keep an eye out for used? 
Thanks in advance for you patience and wisdom :-)

T

Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71961
    Despite the love those Yamahas seem to get I've never thought of them as anything other than bland and totally characterless… sorry!

I would sell it, and put the money and your Paypal stash into buying a good classic Dreadnought that you like.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3419
    edited May 2017
    I'm with ICBM on this. I tried the LLs recently and was not inspired at all...
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
    Playability is outstanding - perhaps I'm being swayed by that. 

I think this might be a good call. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    Ditch the Yam and get a D18/D28.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • kizzerkizzer Frets: 65
    I'm a big fan of the late 60's and 70's Japanese built Yamaha's. I have 4 including an FG180, which is a D28 clone and an FG75, which is a 000 clone. All are 'budget' guitars of the era, yet with a little setup work they all sound and play magnificently. The best part about these 40 year old acoustics is the price, the FG180 was £250 and the FG75 was £50.
    Ditch the Yam and get a D18/D28.
    I wouldn't have enough - and no income means I can only really fund with sales of other stuff
    Red ones are better. 
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4126
    edited May 2017
    Can't remember the model number, but isn't there a Recording King dread that comes with a torrefied adirondack top for around that money? It won't be solid back and sides but that's not necessarily a big deal....
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    If you can't stretch to Martin money then Recording Kings (and to a lesser extent, Sigmas) are worth looking out for. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Lewy said:
    Can't remember the model number, but isn't there a Recording King dread that comes with a torrefied adirondack top for around that money? It won't be solid back and sides but that's not necessarily a big deal....
    Just googled it and yes you are right - will see if I can try one 
    Red ones are better. 
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    ah u noticed 000 aint grunt 'n growl geetars
    I like Furch / Stonebridge e.g. D22-SR

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14324
    AliGorie said:
    I like Furch / Stonebridge 
    Me, too. Well-made guitars but undervalued on the used market. Hence, your route to a bargain.
    Be seeing you.
  • ChristopheChristophe Frets: 62
    I might be massively in the miniority here but I like Martins and Taylors. Perhaps it's worth exploring there?
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    I've got a 1970s Yamaha FG-180, which I've always considered to be fairly average; I was thinking about moving it on and was surprised to see some of the prices!
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    I've been very happy with my all solid woods,  recording king dread, since I got it used off the bay. Total keeper. 
    As it goes, I'm looking for something smaller to go with it..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    I'm reading this differently, if you are wanting a strident plectrum sound my mind thinks Gibson over Martin or at least an Epiphone (maybe masterbuilt). Your own tastes will dictate of course, but if you are planning to strum along thats where my ear goes and gives you a decent variation on what you have so you might get the 'right' guitar for certain situations. Nothing wrong with the Martins though.
    We've decided we are going on holiday this year so the guitar will not be happening now - boo 
    Red ones are better.